M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Headlamp Washer Retrofit? / Sport Bumper with Grille Guard?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Headlamp Washer Retrofit? / Sport Bumper with Grille Guard?

Hello,
I have a 1999 ML430 and plan on retrofitting the ML55/ sport bumper onto the car. The only sport bumper available from the dealer includes the headlamp washer holes. Has anyone successfully retrofitted the MB headlamp washers on their car? What was the process involved?

How does the headlamp washer mechanism lift up? Is it motorized, or is it water pressure that lifts the head out of the bumper to spray the lamp? I'm thinking if it's the later, it may be easy enough to splice into the existing hose that runs the washer fluid to the windshield wipers. But if it's motorized, then I can pretty much forget about it since the car is not wired for it from the get go.

My second question is if anyone has installed the MB accessory grille guard offered for the pre facelift MLs on a car with the sport bumper. I've seen the sport bumper up close, and it looks like there may be some fabricating/ altering required to the bracket that goes into the little grille in the bumper in order for it to clear the extra length of the sport bumper, but I'd like to know for sure first.

I've tried searching for answers to these two concerns, but have yielded no results.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!