M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Bose Audiopilot VSS pin-1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Angry Bose Audiopilot VSS pin-1

I'm a new owner of a ML350 with the Bose Audiopilot system and it is the most annoying thing ever with the volume automatically adjusting to the speed. I checked out all the forums and brought it back to the dealer as suggested by everyone to turn the speed controlled volume off. Still goes up and down when I hit about 20mph even though the dealer said they turned it off. I thought it was the Audiopilot so I disconnected the microphone but no luck again. I also noticed that the volume adjust when going over a bump or when any wheel splippage is detected by the system. Anyone try disconnecting pin-1 which is supposely the VSS-Vehicle Speed Signal wire? Any suggestions???
Old 05-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

If you have navigation,

don't disconect that wire. Apperently, the navigation needs that signal. How do I know that ? Because I disconnect that wire for other reason and the navigation lost the accuracy by at least 3 blocks, also the arrow moves side ways.

I had mine tunred off, it never goes up or down automatically any more. Although mine is 2002 model, the design should be the same. If possible, ask your SA to check it again and allow you to watch it over the technician's shoulder. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

One more thing,

the microphone you had it disconnected I believe it's part of the security system. When the security system is armed, it serves as the "window breakage" sensor. Since the microphone is disconnected, if someone broke the window, the alarm will not go off. Under normal condition the microphone is part of the BOSE audiopilot system. Take care.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:23 PM

ML350
Thanks Russell ... unfortunately I don't have a nav system. I did find that their are two microphones, one for the alarm (the little round one above the mirror) and another one mentioned in another forum that looks like a round with square vents next to the home link buttons. I will probably connect it back since that didn't work anyways. I'll try the dealer again but they are not the most friendly people to deal with.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Give it a try

Since you don't have the navigation, disconnect the wire and see if this fix the problem. If it fixes the problem, then you know the dealer did not turn it off, althouth they claimed they did. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:39 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
rs88, please read the following thread :

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...n&pagenumber=1

or type bose amp sub in the search engine

in that thread you will find the solution for your problem, with detailed explanation and pics how to remove the 1 and only Bose ambient microphone
Old 05-17-2003, 11:04 PM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
A not-so-quick note

AudioPilot seems to be a heavily dicussed topic in these forums. From reading the C-Class forum, I don't remember seeing anyone who has been able to disconnect it. I can clear up a few things though. The microphone with the round cover and slots serves for the Tele-Aid system and the phone (if installed). This is not for the security system. The GBS (Glass Breakage Sensor) is located next to the trip computer (if equipped with pkg. M2). It is the round "hole" next to the display. I know this because I had the unit replaced twice the first month I had my ML due to faulty readings by the GBS. My alarm would go off at random. Finally figured out it was the trip computer.

Next, speed-sensitive volume control is different from Bose AudioPilot. The speed-sensing volume is standard in all M-Class vehicles. This can be adjusted by the dealer to a zero decible change. This will NOT take care of the AudioPilot problem. This technololgy is built into the system and for some reason cannot simply be turned off. Many have tried. Some have used aftermarket products to reduce it's effects (visit the C-Class forum for details). Personally I don't mind the AudioPilot. It seems to function properly in my ML. I do wish the Bose system offered better bass response for pop music. It sounds great for vocal and instrumental, but misses the thumping bass many people desire. Sorry I can't help with the problem.

jd
Old 05-18-2003, 03:57 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c sportcoupe
to ffejalink

:

please read the above marked thread to get rid of the microphone and audio bose pilot : as stated before, if you do not have an amp or sub installed, bose audio pilot works fine, and it's ok, but if you add an amp or a sub to your bose system, you will have problems FOR SURE with the ABP. therefore disconnecting the mic IS NECESSARY, then.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:37 PM

ML350
Anyone find where the AudioPilot microphone is located? I found the little round one which is the glass breakage sensor for the alarm and the round with rectangle vent which seems to be for the teleaid.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM

Mercedes ML350
Bose Audiopilot, 2005 ML350

Just bought this beautifull.. black, Special Edition ML350 last week, like it very much... except... this Bose Audiopilot feature.

I have now spent much time with Bose and MBUSA about this. MBUSA first said it could not... then later said it could, be turned off... but only by a MB dealer....at my cost. From the replys previous ...even then dealers don't get it done the right the first time and more time is wasted taking it back again!

This is a very annoying, worthless feature..this should be a Bose, MB recall with NO cost to the customer to turn this off.

I'm told in 2006 and later ML models the Audiopilot feature can be turned off in the display system.

Recall is the word!

Ron
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Mercedes ML350
Bose Audiopilot system problem...2005 ML350

I followed the MBUSA advice...after talking to 3 different customer service reps all with advice from their tech rep and took it to Motorworld(closest dealer) in W-B Pa. They said no problem for $45 and a half hour we will turn it off.

They "reset the radio/sound stystem speed dependent volume control to off and version code radio to correct sound system, it was wrong in setting." they said...

Took it home expecting a correction to the problem...WRONG... still bad and annoying up and down volume.

I will take to back one more time to Motorworld and will wait to hear from Keith the MBUSA products rep at ext.9575 this afternoon.

MBUSA can now confirm that they can fix a problem with good service.... or that they are proud of offering lousy products with poor service!

Ron
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Mercedes ML350
Bose audiopilot problem, MB 350ML

There is now an official MB (including Germany) interoffice case file on this.

Thus a good result is expected on this problem...stay tuned.

Ron
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Mercedes ML350
Bose Audiopilot system MB ML350

Well I was optimistic.. however instead of fixing the problem they broke my windshield ....trying to replace the microphone in the front mirror....and they want me to pay for the windshield!!!!

Even if they replace the microphone and they pay for the windshield... will this correct the probem? I doubt it

Anyone ....please repond... .............................

I may be a newbe on this forum but I have owned Mercedes cars since 1988 when I bought a new 300E that I still have with 260,000 miles. A great car but the 1st thing I had to replace was the Becker stereo. Mercedes has had problems with stereo sytems for a long time.

Before I had Mercedes products I drove Cadillacs and other GM products.
Particularly with Cadillacs they seemed to appeal to people with more money than brains. It seems Mercedes is headed the same direction!

R.