M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Can't Remove Spare Tire From Carrier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML 320
Can't Remove Spare Tire From Carrier

I have a flat, I got the tire carrier down, but I can't remove the spare from the carrier. What am I missing? I have an image. Someone please help!
Attached Thumbnails Can't Remove Spare Tire From Carrier-2011-02-08_10-56-19_654.jpg  

Last edited by champbc; 02-08-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML270CDi, E320CDi, 1938 Type 230 (family car)
Champbc,

Not sure at what stage you are.

Just bought the ML and thought I would have a dry run with the spare tyre last weekend. Huh, yes it was fiddly.

As I said, not sure how far you managed to get, this is what we did. Remove cover from rear centre of bumper, undo vertical bolt in centre, release catch next to bolt, tyre cage now drops down, reach between top of spare tyre and under body of car, turn and remove big plastic handle. At this point you would hope the tyre slides out, not so on our ML, it gets caught in the tyre frame / holder. So, push down on the tyre holder – springing it down – keep held down (which took some force) and then slide the tyre out. For us, I think it was happier sliding down and to your left.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 and 2004 ml's
Cool ML320 Step by step how to remove and replace spare

I have a 99 ML320 w/258K+ happy, happy miles on it. My first-born managed to fracture the right rear tire (5th set) turning on a wooden curb. When I tried to get the spare that to this point had never been on the ground I could not find a good detailed description of how to do what should be a simple task but really important task anyone might have to do on the road in an emergency. I'm going to make the attempt here; SD05 made a good start (see above) but I'd like to add some detail.

I think this task is safer to do with the car on the ground; don't forget to crack the wheel nuts at this point if you haven't already.

1. Remove plastic access panel in the center of rear bumper. Easier said than done without marring it, though. Four tabs, 2 on each side just inside the edge. Slide a smooth flat blade of some sort under panel edge gently and lift up slightly to access tabs along the edges; press these inward to release while pulling on panel, one at a time.

2. Look for the carrier latch and bolt now exposed. Undo bolt (17mm) but don't remove.

3. Use tool in MB kit or any small screwdriver through the hole in latch for leverage. Open latch while using other hand to allow carrier to pivot/drop down slowly.

4. When carrier has lowered as far as it will go, face the rear of the car and grasp on either side of where the latch and bolt go (yes, the steel bar part that looks like a handle!), then PULL the carrier to the rear; you may need to wiggle it at the same time to break up crud or rust on the rails but it should slide out far enough so that the majority of the wheel comes past the end of the bumper above it.

5. To remove the plastic lock handle and dust shield covering the wheel, turn the plastic handle 90 degrees counterclockwise (or clockwise if some idiot put it in backwards last time), remove the handle. The wheel is now yours.

6. To put it back just do everything in reverse order but make sure the concave (inward) side of the wheel faces UP toward the underside of the care; replace the dust shield and handle.

7. PUSH carrier in on its rails all the way; wiggle side to side while pushing, if necessary.

8. Lift up until latch clicks closed; replace bolt and plastic access panel.

Last edited by harleyhater; 02-05-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: typo's, clarity