M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Totally Frustrated!!!! BAS ESP/ Gear Shift Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Unhappy Totally Frustrated!!!! BAS ESP/ Gear Shift Problems

I have a 2001 ML320. Last week I had my 2nd gear shifter replacement as it was stuck in park again and wouldn't get out (even with the pen trick). Here's the bigger problem. As I'm driving I'll get a yellow warning light and then the vehicle seems to jump out of gear, veer to the right and stutter and then the BAS ESP light comes on. The warning light will stay on and then the vehicle will return to normal functioning. Once I cut the vehicle off it goes away but will return during the drive. The symptoms of it stuttering and veering to the right does not always happen with the occurance of the warning light. I've been dealing with this for about 7months and 4 different costly repairs. I've have the brakes changed, rooters changed, tires changed, and recently the gear shift. I'm planning on taking it to the dealership on Friday but fear the astronomical charge I'll get as the last repair for the 1st gear shift replacement was $1500.00. I'm so frustrated I went car shopping today and almost got a highlander....PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ml55
did you consider maybe it was just the brake light switch gone bad had the same problem and it cost me only 20 bucks to fix
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Most of our cars had a recent recall for the brake light switch. It technically was for something else, maybe cruise control?, but they change out the brake light switch. So check the recall campaign.

Other possibility is a wheel speed sensor. When they go bad, can make the truck get pretty confused. Given the fact it fixes itself after shutoff tells you it is electrical, not mechanical.

Not sure what gear shift replacment you are talking about, do you mean the selector rod that is in the cabin? $1500 for what??

Highlander not that bad of a car BTW, but it is not a MB!!!

Regards,
Jerry