M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Headlight w/ water inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Headlight w/ water inside

I am going to my dealership on Friday to have them fix my headlight on the driver's side....it has a build up of moisture after it rains. Nothing too big...just some condensation. I called my dealership and they said my Starmark warranty will not cover the headlamps. They said its not in the list of things the starmark warranty covers. Does this seem odd to anyone? I've had the truck since September '02 and I don't think the headlamps should be leaky like this. It makes me feel like this is my fault. I truly believe they should cover the cost. Am I wrong on this?? Please, does anyone have any experience with this?? Anything I can do or say?? Thanks
Old 06-02-2003, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500 4matic; c240
did you get the powertrain only starmark?

It is true, if the little booklet they gave you does not say headlamp or some other word that would describe a headlamp, then they are right. The warranty is pretty explicit on this. Good luck...
Old 06-03-2003, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Power train only??? What the hell is that?? I thought my starmark warranty was for everything!!! This sucks....I didn't even get a little book!!! No book!!!
I'm mad
Old 06-03-2003, 12:25 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
I had the headlights changed 2x on my 99SLK230, both times was the passenger side headlamp...

Both times were replaced under original factory warranty, so i'm not much help there... good luck.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:04 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Re: Headlight w/ water inside

Originally posted by Stiggs
I am going to my dealership on Friday to have them fix my headlight on the driver's side....it has a build up of moisture after it rains. Nothing too big...just some condensation. I called my dealership and they said my Starmark warranty will not cover the headlamps. They said its not in the list of things the starmark warranty covers. Does this seem odd to anyone? I've had the truck since September '02 and I don't think the headlamps should be leaky like this. It makes me feel like this is my fault. I truly believe they should cover the cost. Am I wrong on this?? Please, does anyone have any experience with this?? Anything I can do or say?? Thanks

Not your fault that the headlights has moisture buildups. I have an '02 ML320 with Xenon and had both sides replaced because the moisture buildup almost covered the whole lens.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
My main problem is the original factory warranty is gone. All I have left is the starmark warranty, and I guess that doesn't cover headlamps. Just got off the phone with my dealer and he said the same thing. Starmark won't cover it. This is what makes me mad. Dealer told me to lift the hood and check some rubber parts on the back of the headlight. He said make sure they are on tight. I'm still keeping my appointment. I want this fixed. Would something like this just happen or has it been there since I bought the truck in September??? I think it might have happened once when it snowed this winter, but can't really remember....I guess I didn't care at the time. I just feel this is a problem the truck came with...now I have to pay for it. Unfair in my opinion!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 05:11 PM

e500 4matic; c240
Stiggs, I checked my warranty info...

The first year you get the comprehensive starmark, afterthat you had the option of buying the power train or extend the comprehensive.

Regardless, none cover the headlamps, I took some pics of the papers (I don't have a scanner) and will get them to you for your records (tomorrow perhaps).

On a side note, my ML headlamps have what appears to be black silicon sealand around them. Looks as ir the previous owner had a condensation problem too.

good luck...

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2003, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Re: Stiggs, I checked my warranty info...

Originally posted by champa
The first year you get the comprehensive starmark, afterthat you had the option of buying the power train or extend the comprehensive.

Regardless, none cover the headlamps, I took some pics of the papers (I don't have a scanner) and will get them to you for your records (tomorrow perhaps).

On a side note, my ML headlamps have what appears to be black silicon sealand around them. Looks as ir the previous owner had a condensation problem too.

good luck...

Thanks for the info....I guess I will suck it up and get it fixed. It was worth a shot! It just makes you think about the build quality....and why a warranty won't cover it!!

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:03 PM

e500 4matic; c240
stiggs, see here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/mess...no=70233&id=21

Also consider buying a pair of used headlamps, many folks have upgraded to the new style headlamps and I am sure plenty of them will be willing to sell their old pair (see this and other forums). Also I have seen some pairs on ebay selling for less than $100...
Old 06-13-2003, 07:54 PM

ML320
i just got an update bixenon installed for less than a week and there moisture inside already on the passenger side, WHAT DO I DO????...i got it from performace products like 3 months ago, and i dont think its under warrenty anymore

i mite be wrong

Cliff