M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A4
questions

Currently looking at ordering a 2002 ML 320 and an wondering if the Bose upgrade & Parktronic are worth while options? Its not the money for the options just wondering how useful they will be. Also what prices are people getting, am I stuck at sticker or are dealers dealing? Has anyone picked up the truck in Alabama, good trip or waste of time?

So Far my order is this

X1
X2
Xenon
Sunroof
Heated seats
Nav Add on

maybe Parktronic
maybe Bose
Old 11-19-2001, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Can't answer about the Parktronic but the Boise is the way to go. I did not order Parktronic. In the 98 I traded which had the std radio there is a marked improvement with the Boise in my new ML500 is spite of the fact that my hearing is not what it was, most likely from spending 35 years in the ****pits of noisy aircraft
Old 11-19-2001, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Parktronic is a worthwhile option too. I haven't driven an ML with Parktronic yet, but it is very useful in the S, CL, and E-classes. Especially if your better half is the kind of person that goes shopping a lot. In a crowded parking lot, Parktronic is a much better indicator of remaining distance than bumping the other car (or a pole) and scuffing your special-order paintjob.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

ML55 CL500AMG SLK32
Thumbs up

Japes
Go for both Bose and parktronic
I had Bose on mine ML55, The systerm sound really nice. If you are ordering the Nav. you should go for the Bose aswell.
For the extra $400, get the Parktronic too, you will pleased when you have to park that hugh truck into tight spot. And now I am looking for parts whether I can re-install the parktronic to my 55
Old 11-20-2001, 10:17 AM
jwb

ML500, S500
pricing

Japes,

I ordered the ML500, did not get the parktronic, havent backed into anything yet. My vehicle is being made first week in Jan, and I got the vehicle for $30.00 BELOW, yes below, dealer invoice.

good luck cutting a deal!!
Old 11-25-2001, 11:53 AM

I have a y2k ML 320 and I didn’t go for the Bose option as I found the sound muddy on the bottom, shrill on the top and faltering in midrange. Plus its key feature, the sub-woofer was way too bass heavy. I had a new loaner for 2 weeks prior to receiving mine, so had ample time to evaluate it.

This aside, you might like the sound. Consequently I recommend you take at least several hours to evaluate it before you buy.

About parktronic – I suggest getting a brush guard and trailer hitch. They do a far better job of protecting the bumpers from other vehicles hitting you, than Parktronic does. Besides the ML is not so big as to be difficult to park. Especially if you are like so many other MB owners and will park your ML at the distant end of the lot or away from crowds whenever possible.
Old 11-25-2001, 03:20 PM

2002 ML 320
I recently purchased an 02 ML 320 and I couldn't be happier. It's got M1, M5, M7, and Bose. It's an extremely comfortable vehicle and it feels as solid as a rock. And it's clearly among the safest vehicles on the road. Here's what I know about your specific questions:

Parktronic: I don't have it. It would probably help in some situations, but the ML isn't huge so manuevering in tight spots hasn't been difficult. I just don't like the little sensor "dots" that clutter up the front and rear bumper. They're ugly!

Bose: Highly recommended. I'm no audiophile, but the thing sounds great to me. It even adjusts to speed and ambient sound. And it's nice to have an integrated system within the MCS.

Pricing: I got mine for $1,000 over invoice when I ordered it in early Aug. I think you could do better than that now. You should be able to get invoice plus $500 pretty easy.

Factory delivery: I did this when I picked up my ML on 11 Oct. It's a blast. Although the factory tour was closed that day for security reasons, I did the off-road course. It was definitely worth the trip. I did the factory tour last year and that is a great experience as well. I can't recommend this enough. You should definitely do this if at all possible.

Another advantage to factory delivery is that you can purchase from any dealer in the country. This means you can shop nation-wide, find the best price available, do the paperwork via fax or FedEx, and just go pick up your ML. Although your local dealer might not want to deal, there are some very aggressive M-B dealers out there that will make you a great deal. I've heard Southern California is especially competitive. Just something to think about.