M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Shield against I15 high power transformers that kill early ML computers ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 430
Shield against I15 high power transformers that kill early ML computers ??

I saw the below quote on a very old post in this forum. Is there some way to shield the computer? I remember from first year physics that you can make a "Faraday Cage" which can be a metal grill or mesh or solid box around something to be protected. Has anyone encountered this problem or heard of a solution? I just bought my 99 ML 430 today and plan on going on this route at least once a year. OMG !

quote:
I'd tend to shy away from the '98-'99 models because a lot of improvements were made to the 2000 models, and again they were upgraded for 2002 with more features, power, etc.
Interstate 15 between Las Vegas, Nevada and Barstow, California has a stretch of road with a lot of high-energy power transformers. I have heard of these transformers interfering with the ML's engine computer and making it stall on that particular stretch of freeway. This is the only time I've heard of an ML leaving somebody completely stranded, so if you don't drive from Barstow to Vegas very often, I wouldn't be too worried about that.