M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Has anyone installed the MB Quartz speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml430
Has anyone installed the MB Quartz speakers

I'm wondering if anyone has removed the factory bose speakers, and installed the MB Quartz.

Im looking at a few of the MB Quartz speakers and it comes with the tweeter, crossover, and subwoofer.

Is the tweeter a neccessity, or does the 6x9 sub produce enough highs?

Also where would you mount the cross over?

Thanks alot for the help...
Old 06-26-2003, 01:22 PM

98ML320
Many members haver replaced the BOSE speakers with great success, myself included. I like MB QUART's very much myself.

Tweeters are not absolutely necessary but there are some advantages. Mind you this is subjective but.... I think it makes a huge difference. First, it allows you to mount the tweeter much higher (like in the sail panels) so the sound is more optimally located for hearing and less prone to being blocked (like by your knees or a bag). Second it allows each componant to be more efficient so that for the same sized bass unit, the speaker is actually louder and plays cleaner. Third, tweeters are very directional and sound falls off quickly so it's much better to put them up high. The location is also very important to imaging (the direction of where the sound is coming from) so again high and pointed at your head is important. Bass is not directional so you can mount it low or anywhere and it still sounds good (not like it's coming from one direction but rather from everywhere).

You can easily mount the cross over in the door somewhere with double stick tape or velcro or even just screw it into something.

The 6x9 does not fit your existing speaker location without significant modification and I'd go with 6" front and 5" rear (or 5 1/4, can't remember). Also the round speakers are more efficient.

If you have the bose system already, you will also need to remove or bypass the BOSE equilizer mounted in the driver's side firewall, quite high up I believe. (I asked for basic stereo so I didn't have this problem).

At minimum if you opt for NO tweeters then buy a COAXIAL speaker with a seperate tweeter mounted above or next to the woofer.

Good luck.

Last edited by bigcatny; 06-26-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:32 PM

1999 ML430
Why would you want to bypass

the BOSE amp (it is not an equallizer)?. If you did you would lose the sub-woofer also. I have MBQuart DSD216s in front and DSD213s in the rear. I have the tweeters installed in the center of all woofers and they sound quite nice. I did not bypass the amp. I have the crossovers screwed into the inter door frames. I say go for it.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:48 PM

ml430
Are you saying you installeded the tweeters on the bottom of the door panel where the speaker is?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 06:00 PM

1999 ML430
Yes, they are on a bridge that goes across the center of the woofer. All MLs before MY 2002 that came with BOSE have this set-up already for the front door speakers. I also added it to the rears. Went from 7 speakers to 9. A little info for you. The 6x9s will not fit. The fronts are 6 1/2 and the rears are 5 1/4. MBQuart has many models in this size. I suggest that if you are not going to amp up don't buy any model higher then the DSD series because you really won't notice much of a difference.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:36 PM

98ML320
I didn't say bypass the amp I said bypass the Equilizer.

BOSE puts an equilizer along the speaker line that adjusts the sound before it reaches the speakers after it leaves the head unit. If you don't bypass it then your very limited as to how much adjustment you can make for your sound.

Here, read this,

http://www.keysolutions.com/M-Class....256921000856f8

Also, with tweeter location, It certainly works to place the tweeter down by your knees but since high frequency is so directional, it's always better to put them higher. Go to any professional sound-off and you'll see what I mean. Or try this. Sit in your car listening to music, move your leg left and then right and you'll hear the high frequency drop off when you move closer to the door. It's not rocket science here.

Last edited by bigcatny; 06-26-2003 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:47 PM

1999 ML430
bigcat

Thanks for the link. I think I learned more than I wanted to about the factory BOSE.