M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

W163 Automatic Transmission Problem ?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz ML320
Question W163 Automatic Transmission Problem ?

Hello. I have 2001 mercede-benz ML320 w163. The car starts normally, automatic transmission does not shift after 2nd gear. They say, it drives in emergency situation... After clear all errors in computer, AT works fine and there is no problem with a shifting. If I make kick down and made a car accelerate with a full "horses", the Transmission shows this problem again. I can stop car, turn off and start it again, then problem is solved for a few hours. Please advise me what to do. I think it is a Conductor Plate in AT.
Waiting for your reply.
Thank you!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Before you replace the conductor plate you have t take a look at the 13 pin transmission connector on the right side of the transmission.

Remove the small heat shield covering it, press the lock downwards and separate the two halves. If there is trans. fluid between the two halves, drain off approx 1 1/2 qts. of fluid. Make a mark on the old connector so you can transfer that mark to the new connector.

Loosen the 7mm bolt inside the connector and remove. Then insert the new connector. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the bolt; follow torque value. Spray clean the harness connector with contact spray, dry and reattach. Refill drained off fluid.

Then the most important part of the repair is to have the codes erased first from the ECM and then have them erased in the Trans. Control Module with a professional grade scanner. If this is not done then the truck will continue to run in Limp Mode even though the correct repair has been made.

Do not buy the part on-line as the O-rings are not the same as OE. Buy it at the dealer, less than $20.

https://mbworld.org/forums/5270306-post2.html
Attached Thumbnails W163 Automatic Transmission Problem ?-2012-07-16_100800.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Mercedes-Benz ML320
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
Before you replace the conductor plate you have t take a look at the 13 pin transmission connector on the right side of the transmission.

Remove the small heat shield covering it, press the lock downwards and separate the two halves. If there is trans. fluid between the two halves, drain off approx 1 1/2 qts. of fluid. Make a mark on the old connector so you can transfer that mark to the new connector.

Loosen the 7mm bolt inside the connector and remove. Then insert the new connector. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the bolt; follow torque value. Spray clean the harness connector with contact spray, dry and reattach. Refill drained off fluid.

Then the most important part of the repair is to have the codes erased first from the ECM and then have them erased in the Trans. Control Module with a professional grade scanner. If this is not done then the truck will continue to run in Limp Mode even though the correct repair has been made.

Do not buy the part on-line as the O-rings are not the same as OE. Buy it at the dealer, less than $20.

https://mbworld.org/forums/5270306-post2.html

Thank you for answering.
I changed that part about 1 month ago, because there was oil leaking from it. I bought it in Mercedes-benz center.
It is true, I do not know how much litre oil is in trans, because when I bought this car (3 month ago) it was leaking and maybe leaking started 1-2 years ago. The level of oil might be Low yes???

Also, I checked it with a diagnostic and is shows P0715
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM

2002 ml320 sport
the same problem

hi i am having the same probles and the same codes . i am waiting for the parts to arive . have you solved your problem