M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Changing brake pads yourself.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003 | 07:06 PM

1999 ML430
Lightbulb Changing brake pads yourself.....

What's up? New to the group and my first post. I read somewhere in this forum that changing the front pads are really easy.
To quote St Nick:
"Easy to do too (20 mins per side)...4 screws and pop out the pad...push piston back with c-clamp...pop in new pads...screw it up and done."

Is it really this easy?
Old 07-17-2003 | 07:15 PM
USF
Almost a Member!

2002 ML500
I was planning to do it myself too, but I don't even know what is a

C clamp or how the piston looks like! I wish it was really that easy, but I'm not going to risk my ML especially when it comes to brakes!

But if you are able to DIY, please share your experience with pictures! TIA! and Good luck....
Old 07-17-2003 | 07:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML430
Exclamation DO NOT push piston in with bleed valve closed...

Hey there,
It's a pretty easy job, just get the new pads. You need a little steel pin and a hammer so you can knock out the 2 pins that hold the pads in. When you push the pistons in with the clamp, make sure the bleed valve is open. On cars that have ABS, it will send air back into the system and screw up the ABS system. At least that's what my mechanic told me if you are going to be compressing the pistons. Then you would have to re-bleed the system. But it's just knocking out two pins then taking out this little clamp that comes loose anyways when you take the pins out (it sits on top of the pads). And that's it.

-Chris
Old 07-17-2003 | 07:36 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: DO NOT push piston in with bleed valve closed...

Originally posted by chris
Hey there,
It's a pretty easy job, just get the new pads. You need a little steel pin and a hammer so you can knock out the 2 pins that hold the pads in. When you push the pistons in with the clamp, make sure the bleed valve is open. On cars that have ABS, it will send air back into the system and screw up the ABS system. At least that's what my mechanic told me if you are going to be compressing the pistons. Then you would have to re-bleed the system. But it's just knocking out two pins then taking out this little clamp that comes loose anyways when you take the pins out (it sits on top of the pads). And that's it.

-Chris
Your "mechanic" sounds like Chicken Little based upon my experience and the experience of many other folks (as seen at tracks every week of the year) who have never had a problem, let alone heard of a problem, with the ABS system when pushing the pads back in with the bleed valve closed.

DIY pad/rotoe change info

If you're just doing the pad change, skip removing the caliper bolts and proceed directly to removing the old pads.
Old 07-18-2003 | 02:43 AM

2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
Pete

I think you have to take the two bolt out on ML320 but not on 430
at least that what I did on mine and there no pin to push out on 320 but there is on 430
Old 07-19-2003 | 09:07 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Pete

Originally posted by JimB
I think you have to take the two bolt out on ML320 but not on 430
at least that what I did on mine and there no pin to push out on 320 but there is on 430
Hence the title of the page "DIY pad/rotor replacement '00-'03 ML430/ML55/ML500"

I know practically nothing about changing pads on 320s, but pad changes, on any vehicle, isn't rocket science.