M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

So ML sucks, why did you buy it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So ML sucks, why did you buy it?

From what I have seen over the past few years, and especially here with the new 2002 ML's the quality has been horrendous. It is apparently a very unreliable vehicle quality-wise, especially for something that is supposed to be by a luxury car maker.

Posts here and some news articles seem to confirm this as well. So why did you guys go for it in the first place, if some of you knew about it? And second, why would you still buy/lease an ML today given this bad reputation?

I know the competition is not quite there, the X5 has poor space, and it is otherwise good, the american SUVs are just as bad in quality, and Lexus is top quality but can be an overkill and just boring, while Range Rovers are a bit too much and have had similar quality issues.

Why the ML now and why not something else? After 6 mos or a year with one, would you gladly replace it with another one and which one?

Thanks for the help, guys,
vs
Old 02-26-2002, 10:23 PM

'00 ML430 & '02 Porsche 996
Didn't think I'd get a bad one.....

Like many other victims of the ML's poor quality, I was aware of 'issues' with the early years of production, but I figured that as I was buying a 2000 surely they would have been addressed.
Boy, was I wrong !
I won't go into the details, but I don't think I'll be buying another ML- ever - even if they only cost $20,000
Some folks say forums like this attract 'whiners' and thus forums are not representative. That maybe correct, but when I take my ML for one of its regular warranty visits I often get talking to fellow ML owners and guess what ?

More often than not their ML is not in for routine service - it's in for one of the well known ML gremlins.

Those people who have got 'good' ML's are very lucky - but I suspect in time even their 'perfect' vehicles will start to have problems prematurely.

Tim
Old 02-26-2002, 10:30 PM

I bought a 2001 ML320. I've had some minor symptoms of problems such as wind noise and brake whine that people have posted, but all have come and gone. The only recurring problem I have is with the cd player the dealership installed afterwards (my base ML320 did not come with it) and a minor problem I discovered when I initially picked up the ML and was fixed by the dealer the next day.

I have about 8k miles on my 2001 ML320 so it's still pretty new, but so far I've been happy with it and my wife does plan to buy another Mercedes when her 'turn' comes around. Not an ML320; now that I have a car big enough to take us and friends, she's going to get one of those small ones that a big guy like me hates...
Old 03-04-2002, 02:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
We've had our 2000 ML320 since Feb 2000, and have really had very little go wrong with in 35,000 miles. The fuel pump had to be replaced, and a few rattles were silenced. That's it.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:19 PM

sl500 1998/ferrari 355gts 1997
I have a 2000 ML320 w. 25K miles on it...nothing's ever gone wrong with it.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Almost a Member!

What's interesting is how people on the mbworld forums appear more serious and honest about the ML's and a lot less zealous of the car. Contrary to the people on the X5 forum at bimmer.org, which is full of overly joyous, zealous, owners who gladly gloss over all kinds of problems with the X5, and happily recommend it to anyone.

vs
Old 03-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB S500, 2001 BMW 4.4L X5, 2001 BMW M-Coupe
It's quite simple...the X5 just is geared more for the performance enthusiast drivers unlike the ML.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:54 PM

ML 320
Talking ML Does Not Suck

I have had a couple of minor problems during the first 5K miles that my dealer fixed. The switch problem and insulation problem. Both minor and what I would call quality problems. Otherwise the vehicle seems very reliable and safe. Just went to a car show and for all the vehicles there, I was not impressed by any other vehicle as much in the same price range.

As for the X5s being good, did you not see the recall they had for catching on fire? And the RX300 has the engine sludge problem. Much more serious problems than anything that I have seen or heard the ML having. And neither car is as safe as the ML. There are plently of pictures around when the roofs of these vehicles cave in if they are rolled. The ML will not do that. I think it sucks that BMW and Toyota would ship a vehicle that would.

I hope that answers your questions as to why I purchased a ML.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:13 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
Angry ML Quaility

hey everyone.

i just traded a 2000 ml430 for a 2002 ml 500(i hated the color black). when it comes to quality i have not had any of the problems that i've read on this board. maybe i've been lucky but i doubt it. i was pretty rough on the 2000 because i leased it. the vehicle never let me down....broke down...or leaked anything on my garage floor. i live in the northeast and that suv saw every winter storm and crappy day mother nature had to offer. sometimes i think the cry babies speak out far more than the satisfied customers. so in closing i'll leave everyone with this....if you think the vehicle is such a piece of junk....trade it ....so you an mr. goodwrench can become good friends!!!
Old 03-14-2002, 02:40 PM

I had a '99 ML320 and drove it for 40,000 miles with no problems. Traded it for '02 ML320 and have 8,000 on the new one with zero problems.

I am a very satisfied customer with the ML and plan on "rolling" the vehicle to a new one every few years.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks guys. I made up my mind. I'm getting an ML500. It's cheaper than the X5 by at least $5k, the lease parameters are the same (both cars are being agressively depreciated), and the Nav being a priority for me, the ML's new Nav is much better than that of the X5 (both suck, but bmw sucks harder).

Maybe next time I'll be able to afford a CL in addition to the ML.

Any tips on doing trade-ins with dealers, things to watch out for, especially, if the delivery of the ML is month away how it affects the trade-in price of the vechicle.

Thanks,
vs
Old 03-15-2002, 08:06 AM

ML 320
If you have a CarMax nearby get a quote from them on your trade-in before going to the Dealer. Gives you a good starting point in the negotiating. Also they may not budge much on the price of the new ML, but get them to throw in some accessories. Maybe a free tow hitch, side bars, etc. Also, watch out for the $250 Documentation fee they will add to final price. They caught me on this one after I thought that I had finished the deal.

Finally if you decide upon an extended warranty, remember that it is negotiable and you can purchase it anytime in the first year. (may not be an issue on a lease).