M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Loss of Usable Distance in Remote Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML350 4Matic Gasoline
Loss of Usable Distance in Remote Control

My vehicle is a 2002 ML320, manufactured in August 2001. Last week, the remote control system for keyless entry abruptly stopped working from the usual 50-75 feet and now only works from about 5 feet away from the front half of the vehicle and is worse if I am trying to lock it with the remote from behind the vehicle. I have checked the batteries in all 3 remotes at Radio Shack and all 3 sets of batteries test OK and all 3 remotes perform the same, even after switching batteries. I believe that the remote control transmitters are operating properly. The problem seems to be in the receiver part of the system. I would appreciate any experiened advice on how to proceed. Perhaps you may have run across this problem before as a technician or personally experienced it. Any assistance will be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
The receiver antenna is plugged into the AAM (All Activities Module) which is housed in the underhood fuse/relay box.

Remove both covers to the fuse box and then 1 or 2 additional screws that secures the fuse/relay module. Pull the module out of the box and you will see bright aluminum module (AAM) attached to it. Then check to see that the coax cable is secure and or not damaged.

If this is not the problem, then you will have to have the codes read, but in all likelihood it is going to be an AAM problem.
Attached Thumbnails Loss of Usable Distance in Remote Control-capture.jpg