M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Cloudy Headlights and OEM Foglights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Cloudy Headlights and OEM Foglights

Hello, just wanted to throw this out there since these are 2 topics I see allot of questions about. I love the look of aftermarket projector lights but not yet in my budget and I like the factory fog lights in my oem housings. Looks to me like all the aftermarket headlights left them out.

Pulled my headlights tonight and buffed them out with rubbing compound, then high speed wax. Look like new... Really. Headlights are very simple to remove, this is a great, cheap fix.

Ordered a pair of 55w yellow H3 bulbs and put them in while the housings were out. Oem rocker switch works (no dash light) and these are fantastic for bad weather even though they are less than legal.

So anyone else with an 01 Ml320- Yes, your switch probably works.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG convertible Designo Cashmire Special Edition
I just took my 2002 CLK 55 AMG with cloudy headlights to the local Mercedes dealer. They had a "special" to buff and coat the headlights to look like new for about $160. That is more than it costs for me to do it myself, but the coating is warrantted for life. My experience is that the cloudiness returns in a few months. Evidently Mercedes wanted to know why the cloudy headlights were appearing in some areas and not others. They researched and found that it was related to exhaust emissions that etched the plastic lenses. The special coating they now use does not react with the exhaust emissions, so they can warranty the coating for life. Now, if my lights get cloudy, the Mercedes dealer gets to redo them for free. You can obviously do it yourself for less, but through the dealer is labor and worry free, and never have to dom it again. If they do it wrong or break something, they pay, not you.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 AM

2001 ML320
I did not know that! Very interesting... I'm definitely NOT going to pull the headlights every few months. Always wondered WHY they clouded. Thank you, I will ask my dealer if they offer the same deal. (Sun Motors Carlisle Pa.)