M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

whinning Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
Question whinning Noise

Okey this happen in the morning. everytime I turn on the car I hear like a high pitch whinning noise for about 1-2 minutes. Sound like its coming from the engine area.

I took it into the dealership and so far they could not find the problems.

The sound only come on when the car is parked overnight. But here the catcher, if I turn off the car and restart it. The sound would go away.

Help.....

thanks

P.S its a 2000 ML320
Old 11-19-2003, 07:15 AM
Almost a Member!

ML320
I have the same exact noise, it comes and goes away!!! please keep me posted of whats causing it, my dealer was unsure too!
Old 11-19-2003, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
When I cold start my ML the RPM's usually rev higher than normal for a minute or two. I believe this is to get the oil up and flowing.?. maybe? Is this what you are hearing??
Old 11-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
It couldn't be the oil pump. Because if I shut off the car the sound would go away. I even record the sound and took it with me the dealership. They ran some test and still can't locate the problem

Like I stated it only happen overnight. But during the day it ran with no problems at all.

But espically in the morning it really pisses me off to hear that whinning noise early in the morning even if its only for a couple of minutes.

I also heard that if you start and shut your car off you might make the spark plug bad.

Anyone with answer please help...

Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 08:26 PM

It could be the fuel pump.

I had the same problem (sound). It could be the fuel pump.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Emissions air pump. It adds oxygen (air) to the exhaust during overly rich conditions to help the Cats burn off the excess fuel.

Sounds like a hair dryer.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
Well, I can't take it any longer so I am taking it back again to have them take alook. I mean this noise is unbearable. Sound like either a belt is loose or something is very wrong

I mean come on this is from a MERCEDES and only 55k miles on the car. It has to many problems to list but this problem take the cake or the one that broke the camel back.

So far people tells me the fuel pump, or the O2 pump...

Thanks any more help would be good..
Old 11-24-2003, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Trust me, it's the air pump. All 5 of the MBs in our fleet do this. The sound begins as soon as the engine starts in the morning and doesn't stop for anywhere from 1-5 minutes.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by E55AMG99
Trust me, it's the air pump. All 5 of the MBs in our fleet do this. The sound begins as soon as the engine starts in the morning and doesn't stop for anywhere from 1-5 minutes.
Yup hes right, it is the air injection/02 pump. It is louder on our ML than on the C320. This is normal.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:51 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
OMG... So that sound is normal. I can imagine if actually NOT normal.

When I first got the car, I didn't hear the sound until AFTER my big serivce at the dealership for the 45k service.

First the sound would only come on like once a week. But now its like almost EVERYDAY and its really bugging the hell out of me.

I used to just get in my car and the only thing I hear is my engine which sound awsome and then sound my radio. But this sound is REALLY getting on my nerve.

Is there any way they can fix this or do I have to yank the damn thing out

I really don't want to trade it in but if they can't fix this noise then I might have too.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
It only lasts a few minutes. Can't you live with that?
Old 11-25-2003, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by TheGreat1
OMG... So that sound is normal. I can imagine if actually NOT normal.

When I first got the car, I didn't hear the sound until AFTER my big serivce at the dealership for the 45k service.

First the sound would only come on like once a week. But now its like almost EVERYDAY and its really bugging the hell out of me.

I used to just get in my car and the only thing I hear is my engine which sound awsome and then sound my radio. But this sound is REALLY getting on my nerve.

Is there any way they can fix this or do I have to yank the damn thing out

I really don't want to trade it in but if they can't fix this noise then I might have too.
did you buy the vehicle used? Did you not notice the noise before? It does get louder when the vehicle is cold. I really don't think its a big deal, plus it helps the car run cleaner at start up.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I wonder how loud this noise really is?? I mean..when I start my truck up, I do get a whine...but it doesn't last that long. Actually sounds like the engine is working hard.
heres what you do...go to your dealership...first thing in the morning, then find a used Ml on the lot..ask them to start it up for you. See if it makes the same sound. Tell them that your doesn't sound like that.Then say "fix it" with a snotty attitude!!

That should do the trick!
Old 11-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
No I brought it used from one of the Mercedes Dealership here in san diego (Mercedes of San Diego). The car wa StarMark certified with their 1 million checkpoint. I also purchase an extented warranty to up to 100k or 3 extra years (whichever come first).

The car drive and sound excellent up until 51k (got the car with only 26k miles on it). Then this whinning noise start.

Most people would just say "Live with it". But come on now its A MERCEDES-BENZ not a Kia(no insult intended). I would expect from a econ-car that worth less then $9k Brand New. But not from this brand. I had my BMW since 1997 and it only been in the dealership for Oil Change and replacement of the Thermostate, total downtime 2 days.

But with my ML320 I only have own it for almost 2 year and have been in the dealership almost 10 times and total downtime almost 2 month worth.

I am in the process of ordering a C32.. But with all this problems. I really don't know if I should go through with another Mercedes.

Sorry to complain so much. But I think I expect more in quality from a Mercedes...
Old 11-26-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
...The car drive and sound excellent up until 51k (got the car with only 26k miles on it). Then this whinning noise start. ...
Well, like Al said, it is sounds like the sir pump. However, if the noise started 25K miles after you purchased it then there could be a problem. From youe explanation, it sounds like your noise is much louder than the normal air pump noise - are you exaggerating a bit?? if not, then why not have them keep the truck overnight, then go to the dealer the next morning and start the car with a tech in it. That way, they will hear what you're hearing. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
Okey I got a phone call from the dealership. They found the problem (after my 3rd visit). Its look like the Emission Air Pump its not closing or opening (something like that). Its cover under the Starmark so I am cool. I know I wasn't going crazy. Because even the service manager said it was loud.

But here the catcher. Since I has so many "concerns" they found out there were more problems. Here a list of what they found wrong and will correct.

1. Tranny casing is crack--- Starmark covers

2. Light module is broken (always wonder way I had to replace my headlight bulb like 7 times within a year)-- Cover under Starmark

3. Back brushing is crack/falling apart in the rear suspension-- Starmark cover

4. Tank for window cleaning is crack--NOT COVER, COST $275 to replace OUCH!!!!!

5. Service A just turn on-- $210 another OUCH!!!

6. Need to replace the fuel and air filter-- $160 double OUCH!!

Total estimate down time 2-3 week at least and $645 hit on the bank account
Old 11-26-2003, 10:36 PM

ML
Okey I got a phone call from the dealership. They found the problem (after my 3rd visit). Its look like the Emission Air Pump its not closing or opening (something like that). Its cover under the Starmark so I am cool. I know I wasn't going crazy. Because even the service manager said it was loud.

But here the catcher. Since I has so many "concerns" they found out there were more problems. Here a list of what they found wrong and will correct.

1. Tranny casing is crack--- Starmark covers

2. Light module is broken (always wonder way I had to replace my headlight bulb like 7 times within a year)-- Cover under Starmark

3. Back brushing is crack/falling apart in the rear suspension-- Starmark cover

4. Tank for window cleaning is crack--NOT COVER, COST $275 to replace OUCH!!!!!

5. Service A just turn on-- $210 another OUCH!!!

6. Need to replace the fuel and air filter-- $160 double OUCH!!

Total estimate down time 2-3 week at least and $645 hit on the bank account
That's interesting. What good is the starmark warranty if it doesn't cover as much as the regular warranty. The cracked windshield washer is a known problem - so much so that my dealer actually has these things in stock!!!

And, what do you mean by "Service A just turn on..."?? Wasn't the service done before they sold you the truck?? Also, why is atrmark not covering this basic service??

And why do you need to replace te fuel filter? Check your service manual. As far as the air filter is concerned, go get one from an autoparts store, pop open the air box and replace it. Again, why isn't the starmark thing applicable here. What good is starmark if it doesnt cover these basic maintenance items??
Old 11-26-2003, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Darkmann
That's interesting. What good is the starmark warranty if it doesn't cover as much as the regular warranty. The cracked windshield washer is a known problem - so much so that my dealer actually has these things in stock!!!

And, what do you mean by "Service A just turn on..."?? Wasn't the service done before they sold you the truck?? Also, why is atrmark not covering this basic service??

And why do you need to replace te fuel filter? Check your service manual. As far as the air filter is concerned, go get one from an autoparts store, pop open the air box and replace it. Again, why isn't the starmark thing applicable here. What good is starmark if it doesnt cover these basic maintenance items??
darkmann, starmark is a warranty only. Does not include free maintenance like a new mercedes benz does.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 328i, 2000 ML320
I don't know that what the service manager stated. He said I had service "b" so now its "a" turn. "A" like oil change, etc... I really don't know that much about it.

Yes, StarMark don't cover maintainance repair. Just Major repair like my tranny or engine blows up.

Once my car pass the 50k the Starmark kick in to cover the basic.

At least they found the problem, I am happy but not happy due to other problem found during their inspection.

They gave me a 2003 C240 to pimp around while my car is being repair. First they were going to give me a freakin Ford Focus, I say hell no not for 2weeks plus. Couple of days okey but not for 2 weeks+
Old 12-23-2003, 11:16 AM

The wining noise is real common I cant belive the dealer couldnt find it. there is a little cooling fan in your fuse box. to keep the control modules cool...after a while they start wining real bad...only for about 30 sec to 1min. the noise acually sounds like it is comming from behind the instrument cluster, or engine area. I hope this helps
Old 12-23-2003, 07:17 PM

ML
Originally posted by AlBoston
did you buy the vehicle used? Did you not notice the noise before? It does get louder when the vehicle is cold. I really don't think its a big deal, plus it helps the car run cleaner at start up.
Thanks Al for that clarification. I'm thinking of doing xtended warranty before my factory warranty expires. Do you know if it's same, pretty much.

What happened to MBWorld? For the longest time I have not been able to log on. I hope we're up and running fine now.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:36 AM

99 ML 430
Re: whinning Noise

Okey this happen in the morning. everytime I turn on the car I hear like a high pitch whinning noise for about 1-2 minutes. Sound like its coming from the engine area.

I took it into the dealership and so far they could not find the problems.

The sound only come on when the car is parked overnight. But here the catcher, if I turn off the car and restart it. The sound would go away.

Help.....

thanks

P.S its a 2000 ML320
Ok I have read all the threads that were posted. I kid you not and hope you get this fixed ASAP. I had the same EXACT problem and and thought it was the fan belt or something, then found out my baby started to leak oil --OH ****!
Took it in and they first couldn't find the problem, then they took it deeper and found out it's the HARMONIC BALANCER. The whinning noise comes from the grinding into the upper oil pan, and WILL penetrate if you drive more on it. The cost of this will be $2000-$3000. I just had it done. It's a BIG Ouch!

Get them to check the harmonic balancer ,if you drive more to it, hope this is not to late, you will damage your car.

Hope I'm not to late.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: Re: whinning Noise

Originally posted by andaya
Ok I have read all the threads that were posted. I kid you not and hope you get this fixed ASAP. I had the same EXACT problem and and thought it was the fan belt or something, then found out my baby started to leak oil --OH ****!
Took it in and they first couldn't find the problem, then they took it deeper and found out it's the HARMONIC BALANCER. The whinning noise comes from the grinding into the upper oil pan, and WILL penetrate if you drive more on it. The cost of this will be $2000-$3000. I just had it done. It's a BIG Ouch!

Get them to check the harmonic balancer ,if you drive more to it, hope this is not to late, you will damage your car.

Hope I'm not to late.

Different but just as common problem. The whining noise on startup that goes away in a few minutes can't be mistaken for the constant grinding of the balancer! When ours let go, it sounded like tires screeching for about 10 seconds before "BOOM"! Luckily, MB paid for the repairs.