M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Please Help 2005 Ml350 won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163 Mercedes Benz Ml350 Special Edition
Please Help 2005 Ml350 won't start

Hi; am new to this forum, but you guy have been a great help ever since i bought my wife's 2005 Ml350 with 88,000 miles in January. Due to this i have been able to do: Engine oil change, all 4 rotors and pads, Trans oil and filter, and Tans Pilot Bushing.

(Now the problem)
The Truck was driving fine and everything works perfectly, My wife drove to sch. got off 4 hrs late and the truck wouldn't start. Ever since then I have replace: the Crank Sensor with Bosch, Battery due to low voltage, and the starter due to clicking sound and solenoid cable to the starter was turning red with burning smell and smoke and it still won't start. I replaced this 3 items in that other and all with no luck. when attempting to to start the truck all the light in the dash turns on and the techno-miter does not jump.

Also, when i was changing the starter yesterday i noticed little drops of GAS on the left side (driver side) Catalytic Converter.

Can anybody please point me to what i need to do next in order to rectify this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM
DrX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Do you have it cranking now?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 AM

Thanks DrX; occasionally it cranks a little bit for about 2 to 3 seconds then it stops with a loud clonk sound, after that it doesn't crank at all. it will only make a click sound to engage the stater.

And no I haven't checked the fuel pressure. How do i go about checking it. As per what i have read on the forum I will need a fuel pressure gauge, but how do i perform the test? thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 AM
DrX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
In the absence of details, it's difficult to determine your problem.

What was the first no-start condition? Long-crank-no-start? (that's where it cranks for 2-3 seconds, doesn't fire, then stops cranking) Or no-crank? (that's where the engine doesn't rotate, maybe just a clicking noise or one click when you turn the key)

So I'll have to guess that you cranked it over and over until the battery ran down and the starter wire got red hot and started smoking. Eventually the crank became weaker, and then there was no crank, only a clicking noise. Correct me if any of this is incorrect.

To test your fuel pressure, connect a screw-on tyre pressure gauge to the Schrader valve on the front right corner of the fuel rail. It has a brass cap nut on it. Check the thread as it may be larger than a standard tyre valve.

You should get over 50 psi with ignition on (position 2). If you don't, check the power supply to the fuel pump, and if that's good, replace the fuel pump.

Last edited by DrX; 05-10-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 AM

As per my wife's description, it jerked for about a minute when she was about to park the truck then she parked and shut it off. After about 4hrs she tried to start it and it wouldn't crank at all, but after several try it crank for about 2 to 3 second then it stops with a loud clonk sound. when i tried it did exactly the same thing after several try.

I will try performing a fuel pressure test because am really concern about the drops of gas from the driver's side catalytic converter and if not luck, i might have to get it towed to MB Indy.