M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML God, what a resource

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML God, what a resource

MLG,

I have some codes: 0170 and 0173. Do these mean anything to you? Apparently, this might be what is causing my "check engine" light and fuel economy issues.

Also, I've noticed that my tranny seems to "downshift" a bit when I let off the gas. This feeling is a bit different than my previous vehicles that seemed to coast, more or less, when I let my foot off the gas pedal. I've been told that a bit of this can be attributed to the MB transmission, as well as some BMWs. Does this sound accurate to you?

Once again, thanks for the insight.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
Yes it will cause the check engine light to go on &
harsh shifting, i think it`s time for a new air flow sensor.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:24 PM

Re: ML God, what a resource

Originally posted by O Dogg
MLG,

I have some codes: 0170 and 0173. Do these mean anything to you? Apparently, this might be what is causing my "check engine" light and fuel economy issues.

Also, I've noticed that my tranny seems to "downshift" a bit when I let off the gas. This feeling is a bit different than my previous vehicles that seemed to coast, more or less, when I let my foot off the gas pedal. I've been told that a bit of this can be attributed to the MB transmission, as well as some BMWs. Does this sound accurate to you?

Once again, thanks for the insight.
Code p0170 and P0173 is fuel adaption for the left and right banks are at maxium level. Unless you have a vacuum leak more than likly you will need a mass air flow sensor. Yes I can also affect the tranny. You need to have your dealer replace the sensor them reset the adaptions
Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 AM

Thanks again, MLG. Also to you, f4i.

Outside of horrendous fuel economy, will I experience any significant side effects from driving my ML for a couple days until this problem is addressed?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by O Dogg
Thanks again, MLG. Also to you, f4i.

Outside of horrendous fuel economy, will I experience any significant side effects from driving my ML for a couple days until this problem is addressed?
More than likly yes...I might start dying on you
Old 01-09-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by ML God
More than likly yes...I might start dying on you
Haha. I hope you miskeyed and forgot the "t." If not, though, I appreciate your concern for my ML.

So, basically you're saying not to drive it unless I have to? Are there long term effects associated with this problem?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Well, crap. I got my air flow sensor fixed the other day and everything seemed normal for a couple days. Now, my CEL is back on and now I feel a little hesitation when I accelerate...usually where a normal shift would be. It reminds me of what a car would feel like when it is running out of gas. Additionally, every once in a while, when I start the vehicle, I can hear the engine turn over for a split second, but it doesn't start. I have to turn the key back and try again. Usually works after the second attempt, but a few times I've had to try 3 or 4 times. I wonder if this is the starter...I'm starting to wonder if I bought a dud.

Any ideas?