M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

MB ML 430 2001

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016 | 01:24 PM

MB ML 430 2000
Question MB ML 430 2001

NOT STARTING ! Hi there. Bought myself a Mercedes a few weeks ago.
Living on the Swedish westcoast I run into starting problems after a (short 5min) ferry ride between the local islands, car was reluctant to start, engine turns around on starter enging and sparks to life for few seconds and then sputter and dies.... eventually got it started after some minutes of tries. That happens on same ferry trip 2days in row while during the same time car starts perfectly on all other take offs during this days !
On the second ferry day the car refuses to start and has to be hauled home on rescue truck.
After that I have been trying to find tha fault (have been working on race bikes and cars privately all my life born1956) and now with this 430 I can not figure out whats wrong: When buying the car the seller told me they had changed the "camshaft position sensor" due to starting problems and also second key wasnt working. I plugged in a scanning thingie and got 2 fault codes on Oxygen sensor 2 , bank 1 ...so I changed that and scan was clean But No Start. checked spark plugs OK.
Cheked forums and decided to go for "crankshaft position sensor" wich when checked showed a bit high resistance, reading 1097ohm and new bosch one was 900ohm... Still NO START !
Ok... Check fuel flow and realised that there was hardly any pressure when opening schrader valve after starting attemp..wilst running starting engine didnt seem to activate fuel pump.
Checked pump and filter and test run with direct connection to battery....still no pressure in fuel valve (schrader)
Got suggestion towards bad battery so new good battery installed yesterday
And Petrol pressure is there But still ...NOT STARTING..!
Tried with spraying "Start Gas" into manifold And Engine sparks to life But dies as gas is consumed.....So Spark is there but fuel is not injected "I Think" so now maybe measure fuel pressure but engine should still run even pressure is slightly off.
I better add that when starting problems began there was a bit of jamming in the gear shifter, It sort off tried to stick in parking position but I used some minor force to move it (also so we could load it on the emergency truck)
So now I am here with my first Mercedes and for the first time in life Not being able to figure out Whats the Problem???
Any suggestion to where to go from here ?

Last edited by Majoy; 05-25-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2016 | 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W163 forum...