M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Side mirrors won't light when the alarm is armed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 ML 500
Side mirrors won't light when the alarm is armed

Hello, I recently noticed my side mirrors would not flash when I locked my 2004 ML 500 with the remote. It seems to flash once when I unlock it, though. All the doors seem to lock and unlock, but no visual confirmation only when locking. I checked with the manual and re-shut all the doors and hood. Still does not flash. I did have my car battery changed by AAA not too long ago, I'm not too sure if that is the cause. Is there a simple fix that I can do, or is this something I have to go to the dealership for? I would much prefer to do this on my own (I am a complete beginner to the car world) than go to the dreaded dealership. I appreciate any help that I receive. Thank you.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
There is no easy fix.

The codes stored in the AAM must must be read to narrow down the possibilities. It could be one of the door microswitches or a problem with the Trip Computer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AAM Codes.pdf (21.3 KB, 250 views)
The following users liked this post:
jandroid (06-10-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 AM

'04 ML 500
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee
There is no easy fix.

The codes stored in the AAM must must be read to narrow down the possibilities. It could be one of the door microswitches or a problem with the Trip Computer.
Thank you for that, but how do I check the codes? Is it only at the dealership?
I kind of do hear a squeaky sound when the locks engage/disengage. I also noticed my compass isn't working. So maybe, it is trip computer related? If this is not an easy fix, I'm going to assume it'll be expensive.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
No it is not only at the dealership. This
scanner scanner
will read every code possible.

The squeaky sound is probably one of the door locks being faulty and you must find out which one it is, including the tailgate. Find out which one it is and spray WD40 on the latch as the latch might not be fully closing.

If all other features in the Trip Comp. are functioning then the compass is a separate issue
Attached Thumbnails Side mirrors won't light when the alarm is armed-door-lock-throw.jpg  
jandroid (06-10-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 06:36 PM

'04 ML 500
No it is not only at the dealership. This scanner will read every code possible.

The squeaky sound is probably one of the door locks being faulty and you must find out which one it is, including the tailgate. Find out which one it is and spray WD40 on the latch as the latch might not be fully closing.

If all other features in the Trip Comp. are functioning then the compass is a separate issue
When I got the battery changed other times, I never had to mess with anything, except change the clock. Now, the screen where the compass is displayed is just blank. Pressing reset or mode does nothing. Could it possibly be a blown fuse or is the whole trip computer unit dead? I do remember sparks flying a few times while the person was installing the battery.

I also can't get rid of the BAS ESP light. I tried turning the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way right while the car was running in park. Drove a bit and still there. Did I do something incorrectly?

And yikes on the scanner price.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Originally Posted by jandroid
When I got the battery changed other times, I never had to mess with anything, except change the clock. Now, the screen where the compass is displayed is just blank. Pressing reset or mode does nothing. Could it possibly be a blown fuse or is the whole trip computer unit dead? I do remember sparks flying a few times while the person was installing the battery.

I also can't get rid of the BAS ESP light. I tried turning the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way right while the car was running in park. Drove a bit and still there. Did I do something incorrectly?

And yikes on the scanner price.

You have replied to nothing I have said.

You keep mentioning the compass and I asked you about the other features in the Trip Computer. Are they displayed or is the screen dark at all times.

The BAS/ESP light has nothing to do with the Trip Computer. They are two separate issues.

If you do not have a scanner I cannot help you any further. You cannot own one of the vehicles without one.
jandroid (06-10-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:49 PM

'04 ML 500
You have replied to nothing I have said.

You keep mentioning the compass and I asked you about the other features in the Trip Computer. Are they displayed or is the screen dark at all times.

The BAS/ESP light has nothing to do with the Trip Computer. They are two separate issues.

If you do not have a scanner I cannot help you any further. You cannot own one of the vehicles without one.
I tried to access the other features of trip computer, but pressing "Reset" or "Mode" does absolutely nothing. The display continues to remain blank.

Sorry to add the BAS ESP error, it was just another issue that occurred after the battery change and it just frustrated me. I realize now, it is completely unrelated to the alarm light problem.

So back to the trip computer issue, it looks like there is no power going to it. I was wondering if a connection was faulty or if the whole unit fried cause of those sparks I heard when the person was installing the new battery.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 PM

'04 ML 500
Can anyone help me locate the Trip computer fuse? I looked over both the interior and under the hood fuse chart, but can't seem to locate it. Is it listed under another name? Thank you.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Fuses 13 and 22 in the underhood fuse box. If those fuses are good then the bulbs that light it up are blown, Get a used one on ebay.
jandroid (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 PM

'04 ML 500
Fuses 13 and 22 in the underhood fuse box. If those fuses are good then the bulbs that light it up are blown, Get a used one on ebay.
The lights do flash when unlocking, so I didn't think the bulbs were bad.
Anyways, changing the F13 fuse fixed it all. Even got rid of the constant BAS/ESP warning light. I guess the sparks from the battery swap did blow the fuse. THANK YOU SO MUCH, Maj. Dundee!!! Helped me out a lot. Glad I didn't buy the scanner because I couldn't justify such an expensive purchase (currently unemployed) for a 1 time, maybe 2 time use item. I have a couple more questions:

1. Maj. Dundee, is this like your profession or just passionate in this field? You seem to know your cars.
2. Since I used up the spare #10 fuse, can I replace it from any auto store/mechanic or do I have to get them new from a MB dealership?

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
1. Maj. Dundee, is this like your profession or just passionate in this field? I have been a mechanic for 43 yrs.

2. Since I used up the spare #10 fuse, can I replace it from any auto store/mechanic or do I have to get them new from a MB dealership? Any auto parts store.
jandroid (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 12:46 PM

'04 ML 500
Wow, 43 years? That's amazing.

Again, I have to say I appreciate the help.