M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

98/99 ML320 options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' Mercedes ML320
98/99 ML320 options

Does anyone know of a site that lists every type of package and option that was available for both the 98 and 99 ML320's?

I am looking to buy one for my wife and I wanted to see what color combinations for exterior/interior were available, not to mention the inside upgrades that one could splurge for. I would like to get one with black leather, but I'm not sure if that was possible. I've also seen people say they stage 1 or stage 2 options, and then a couple that are maybe brabus or something models that have upgraded rim and tire packages.

Just want to be informed as possible so we can pick out what exactly we want and then go looking for it. Also was navigation avail on the 98' ML320's because I don't think I've seen one for sale yet that has had it.

Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
MBUSA has a section of the site (http://www.mbusa.com) entitled '16-year model overview.' Here you can get info on a bunch of old models.

Here's a link to the page on the '98 ML: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...45678&menu=4_7

Here's the page on the '99 ML: http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...45678&menu=5_7

As for the Nav system - yes, there was a GPS nav system available on the '98 and '99 ML's, but it was a dealer-installed screen that mounted in the area above the A/C vents up front. Essentially, you might as well get an aftermarket GPS for the '98 or '99 as the stock one didn't offer too much more. Starting in model year 2000, however, all ML's got the MCS system, which is the screen unit that fills the radio/CD slots in the dash. The system combines the radio/CD/entertainment with the GPS navigation and cell-phone connection capabilities.

What price range are you looking in? - because generally it is advisable to stay with the later model ML's - some of the earlier ones ('98, '99) had quality issues (not up to the level of other Mercedes), etc. - quality improved as the years went on though.

The ML was updated (new exterior and interior color options, body-color exterior cladding was made standard for 320's, new entertainment/nav system up front, transmission shift system, etc.) for model year 2000. A few more updates were made in 2001.

For 2002, the ML was facelifted, with over 1200 new parts - main changes included updated exterior styling (new front and rear bumpers and side rocker panels, clear projection headlamps and updated taillights), updated interior (redesigned center console, separate heating/AC unit for rear passengers), higher-quality parts throughout, downhill traction system, and more. The only change from 2002 to 2003 was the replacement of the CD-based GPS navigation system with a DVD-based module. The ML is unchanged for 2004, but the high-performance ML55 AMG is temporarily discontinued. (next generation ML is coming out next year)

The way used ML pricing is going, I'd definitely recommend going for as late model year as possible, definitely 2000 or newer, and if possible, 2001 - best of course would be anywhere from 2002 up.

Here are two photos - of a '98 and an '04 ML - that show the change. If you look at a '98 and an '02-'04 in person, you'll see that they are altogether different animals in many ways.

1998 ML:

2004 ML:

Hope this helps
Old 03-19-2004, 12:46 PM

2003 ML320
My financee and I just aquried a 2003 ML320. We were looking at 99 and 2000 ML's, but after some looking at the cars and talking with people we decided in 2001 and newer due to improved reliabltiy. Of course my fiancee really like the rear air feature for use in summer heat down here especially for kids that will be coming. Eventually we decided to push the bucks and bit and a found a very nice 2003 Starmark car. Looks virtually new and we are happy with it.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:37 PM

99' Mercedes ML320
Thanks for replying! I'm looking to stay around $18,000 I am finding a lot of 98 and 99's in that price range with around 40 to 50k on them. I am planning on buying an aftermarket extended warranty just because I am scared to death of what repairs on this thing will cost.

I've owned Acura, Honda, and Toyota's only my whole life so I'm a noob when it comes to MB. My wife likes the 4Runner but I think it is to big for her, and I like the RX300 but she thinks it doesn't look "rugged" enough for her. So we are compromising on the the ML320. It is just a matter of finding one.

I'm really trying to stay away from the 98' as I know from past experiences how the first year of a new model is not the best to get.

I guess really my only other question would be is if you guys run 93 octane gas 100% of the time in these. I was reading the specs and it said 91 octane minimum. Have never owned a car designed to run on that high of an octane.

Also is there any known problems on the ML320's that I should be checking out. I know the Skyview is a big problem, and motor mounts and catalytic converters. Just wondering if there is any other questions I should be asking the sellers about the car mechanically or be looking for when I drive them.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally posted by kevandju

Also is there any known problems on the ML320's that I should be checking out.
Yes read this entire thread http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=63512
Old 03-19-2004, 05:48 PM

2003 ML320
Please run at least 91 in the car at all times. It was designed from the factory for 91 min octane. Running less may cause driveability issues or possible expensive engine damage.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Thanks for replying! I'm looking to stay around $18,000 I am finding a lot of 98 and 99's in that price range with around 40 to 50k on them. I am planning on buying an aftermarket extended warranty just because I am scared to death of what repairs on this thing will cost.

I've owned Acura, Honda, and Toyota's only my whole life so I'm a noob when it comes to MB. My wife likes the 4Runner but I think it is to big for her, and I like the RX300 but she thinks it doesn't look "rugged" enough for her. So we are compromising on the the ML320. It is just a matter of finding one.

I'm really trying to stay away from the 98' as I know from past experiences how the first year of a new model is not the best to get.

I guess really my only other question would be is if you guys run 93 octane gas 100% of the time in these. I was reading the specs and it said 91 octane minimum. Have never owned a car designed to run on that high of an octane.

Also is there any known problems on the ML320's that I should be checking out. I know the Skyview is a big problem, and motor mounts and catalytic converters. Just wondering if there is any other questions I should be asking the sellers about the car mechanically or be looking for when I drive them.
The ML offers a good balance between on-road smoothness with off-road capability, unlike car-based SUV's like the Lexus RX, BMW X5, Acura MDX, etc., which are strictly meant for on-road use only. The ML's 4Matic four-wheel-drive system is more advanced than the AWD systems in competitors, which also allows for nice handling in rough conditions. The ML is also among the safest SUV's you can buy.

If you can't go for a later model, at least try to find a 2000. If it were between a '98 or '99 and paying a few thousand more for an '00, I'd go for the '00 - it's just that it's more refined and likely a bit more reliable. Most of the issues that the early ML's had were minor complaints - like rattling interior noises, etc. Common problems include things like the windows switches (the roadside assistance trucks used to carry boxloads of them) and the fuel pump, among a few other such things.

As far as gas, driving with 91 octane is what MB says to do. Driving with lower octane (like 89) apparently runs fine (from the experiences of other ML owners who have tried) - the downside is that you might get some engine pinging and, if done so for a long period of time, gradual carbon buildup.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:39 PM

99' Mercedes ML320
Thanks so much for all of your help! I am now not going to get anything less than a 2000 ML320 have found a couple right around $20,000 with around 50k. My wife now that she has seen the "skyview" roof is wanting that as well.

If I get an ML320 with a warranty do you think the Skyview is still bad to have. If it gets stuck or breaks it's not like I'll be coughing up the money to have it replaced.

I don't want the car to be noisy though, and I thought I read somewhere that there is a lot of wind noise with the skyview roof even with the wind deflector. Can anyone verify whether or not that is true? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Who told you skyview was a problem on the 00 320???

In fact, I would never move to a 2002 & up for the very reason that they discontinued the skyview..

This is my 4th year with 00 320 and the skyview is one of the best features on this truck...

Living in CA, I have enjoyed it to its fullest...being able to drive with it open almost 8-10 months of the year..

Wind noise is not a problem either...I mean, yes there will be some wind noise...but its like being a convertible and then complaining about the wind noise...

All MLs with the skyview come with a factory installed wind deflector and it does its job very well..not only it is one of the most asthetic wind deflectors for the ML, it is also installed very firmly and does its job extremely well of deflecting the wind current away from both the front passengers and rear passengers..

Partially closing the skyview significantly reduces wind noise. this is even better than a convertible car, since you have the option of opening only as much as you like...don't have to open all of it to enjoy it.

One thing though, if you find one with a skyview, make sure, the roof has been replaced under warranty (check the service history to ensure this)...there was a design problem with the original skyview that came with the 00 320s..the 01s had it corrected...MB has generously replaced them on most 00s under warranty.

I had mine replaced at 30K miles..for cause of a minor water leak and a slight rattle.

As for opening of the skyview, it can never get stuck...and if it does, there is a manual option of opening it and resetting the electrical switch/motor ...it is well documented in the owner's manual on how to do it.

I don't expect to find a 00 with the skyview that easily though..they made very few with this option...too bad the option got discontinued...

Last edited by mihir_d; 03-20-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Yeah the Skyview is a nice option to have - it's pretty rare though, so finding one with it may be tough.

Just if you were interested, the Skyview was discontinued for model year 2002 due to the addition of 4 side window curtain airbags, which were incompatible with the Lamella Skyview system.

Also - kinda OT, but check this video out - it's MB's "Stayin' Alive" TV ad for the ML around MY2000. The multiple side-roll test is pretty cool IMO. Here's the link, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/Staying_Alive.avi

Right-click on the link and click "Save Target As..." - you can open with Windows Media Player, or some other program if you want.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:28 AM

99' Mercedes ML320
I was just going off what I read in the forums about the skyview being a problem. I did a search on Skyview and not to many positive things came up.

Skyview thread

I would love to have the feature as it looks very cool to have. Is there anyway to tell if the skyview system on the car is the original or the replacement kind? Most of the cars I am thinking about are 300 plus miles from me so I am trying to get as many of the questions answered through email as possible before driving to see them. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:46 AM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Yes...there is a subtle way of telling the old roof from the new one..

The inner trim on the newer skyview roof is asymmetric..Vs the old one which was symmetric.

I will post a picture to make it more clear..but what that meansi s that if you look at the inner leather stiching on the skyview panels, on the newer roof, it seems like all panels are not the same size (meaning width)...although, from outside they make look the same size...in the older roof, they looked the same size from both inside out..

With the VIN no. at hand, you should be able to pull up the service history...also, if you are considering buying with the Starmkark warranty, just make sure the roof is covered under that...just in case you end up with the older one.

As for that thread...I don't agree to that...my skyview roof hasn't stuck on me even once in almost 4 years/72K miles..

Last edited by mihir_d; 03-20-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:52 AM

99' Mercedes ML320
I always get the VIN numbers of the ML320's that I'm looking at just to run a carfax check on them. To pull up the service history would I have to give that VIN to a mercedes dealer, or is there a website out there that will allow you to pull up this information.

Thanks again for all the responses, I'm so glad I posted here before I bought, I feel much better informed already!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
I always get the VIN numbers of the ML320's that I'm looking at just to run a carfax check on them. To pull up the service history would I have to give that VIN to a mercedes dealer, or is there a website out there that will allow you to pull up this information.
Yes to get the warranty service history you need to give the VIN number to an authorized dealer. This VMI printout (Vehicle Master Inquiry) lists all warranty work, which would include oil and filter changes, done during the 4 year 50,000 mile period at any Mercedes-Benz dealership. The only exception on the oil and filter changes would be the 1998 models which did not have the free scheduled maintenance included with the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:40 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Here's one use of the skyview..

I have used my ML several times this way to haul things that other SUVs can't..thanks to the skyview roof....

Old 03-21-2004, 12:08 PM

99' Mercedes ML320
Mihir can you take a picture to show me what the difference in look is of the replaced skyview as opposed to the original. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:08 AM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Here's a picture of the skyview panels from the inside...

Notice how the stich lines are at symmetric but unequal intervals...the older roof had them at symmetric and equal intervals..

Old 03-22-2004, 11:16 AM

99' Mercedes ML320
Mihir thank you so much!!! This will be so easy to discover without having to be there in person.

I have found a 2000 ML320 with 44k on it for $20,000. The factory warranty is valid till 10/31/04 or 50k, so it has a little bit left. It has the skyview roof, M1 and M2 package, front bumper guard, and side steps. Bose system with 6 disc changer and has metal cage like enclosures over the rear lights. Seems like only feature it is missing is Navigation. Kelley Blue Book retail price on this car is $26,900. It seems like a really good deal. I have not driven or seen the car in person yet, but it is a 1 owner car and supposedly has had no paint or body work ever done to it.

Just wondering what you guys think as far as if that is a good deal.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:18 AM

2003 ML320
Seems like a pretty good deal if the car is in good shape and has no mechanical issues.

Good Luck
Old 03-22-2004, 12:34 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I personally don't trust used cars until I drive them and see them in person...

Especially if they are under priced...otherwise it seems like a good deal to me..
Old 03-22-2004, 03:47 PM

99' Mercedes ML320
Alright, just a couple more questions I went to my local Mercedes dealer and the service manager was nice enough to pull up the vehicles service history and there was 2 full pages of repairs, nothing to major to my eye, but I'll let you judge on the ones I'm not sure about.

Catalytic converter, underfloo 36,831 and 33,217 miles
Shock absorber, rear leaking 36,786 and 20,290 miles
Joint disk, propeller shaft we 36,144 miles
Stop lamp switch 36,144, 24,308, and 15,286 miles
Pleated rubber, sliding roof 36,144, and 13,597 miles
Automatic transmission slipping 21,557 miles
Frame, sliding roof/lamella 21,557 and 15,286 miles
Tandem master brake cylinder 18,891 miles
Mass air flow sensor 33,217, and 18,891 miles
Window lifter switch group 36,144 and 13,597 miles

Then there was a lot of door repairs listed. Door liners, door seal leakage, and "dampening, door loose."

For the skyview from the service history it looks like some work has been done to it and I got this picture today:

It looks like the repaired one from your description Mihir. Let me know if these repairs sound typical, or this car has a lot of repairs. From the dates and mileage it appears that the owner was very proactive in going to the dealership to get repairs done so I suppose that is a plus.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Alright, just a couple more questions I went to my local Mercedes dealer and the service manager was nice enough to pull up the vehicles service history and there was 2 full pages of repairs, nothing to major to my eye, but I'll let you judge on the ones I'm not sure about.

Joint disk, propeller shaft we 36,144 miles
Stop lamp switch 36,144, 24,308, and 15,286 miles
Pleated rubber, sliding roof 36,144, and 13,597 miles
Frame, sliding roof/lamella 21,557 and 15,286 miles
Tandem master brake cylinder 18,891 miles
Window lifter switch group 36,144 and 13,597 miles

Then there was a lot of door repairs listed. Door liners, door seal leakage, and "dampening, door loose."

For the skyview from the service history it looks like some work has been done to it and I got this picture today:

It looks like the repaired one from your description Mihir. Let me know if these repairs sound typical, or this car has a lot of repairs. From the dates and mileage it appears that the owner was very proactive in going to the dealership to get repairs done so I suppose that is a plus.
is this a 2000 MY and is it a 320 or 430. All of those sound pretty common but the shock absorbers, cats, mass air flow sensor all replaced twice? that is kind of alarming. I have had no where near that many issues with my 99 ML....
Old 03-22-2004, 03:59 PM

99' Mercedes ML320
This on a 2000 ML320 with 44,000 miles on it currently. I'm not sure what MY means. It is a US car if that is what you're looking for.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
The skyview looks like the new one but.....

This is all alarming to me...

I had my CATs & Mass Airflow Sensor give me a problem at 71K miles....

Shocks are just good today at 75K & so is the tranny...never had problems with those..

CATs & MAF are big ticket items together they cost about $3000 to replace....

I would be cautious looking at the service history...also, I notice the lining of the skyview is quite dirty compared to mine...what that means is that most likely has had some water leakage problems....I would research the history of the lamella roof a little further...why did they have to fix it twice? Mine was replaced once at 33K and never had a problem with it after that.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I don't know if this will help but I think buying from a dealership is better. yes they will try to charge you more ( talk them down...I did!), but I would feel more comfortable with a dealership than with a private party seller. What if there is a major problem with the truck...what then? With a private party, what can you do? I would say you're pretty screwed if theres a prob.
Thats just me...I'm a nervous person to begin with. Thats why I stuck to the dealership even though I probably could've gotten it cheaper with a private seller. At least I know the dealership is there for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 98/99 ML320 options