M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML500 vs. LX 470

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML

...I agree the ML500 has much more power and really moves when you punch the gas. That being said, if I'm looking to race, I'll drive my Porsche!
It's not about racing, it all has to do with having a comfortable grin on your face.

The fact that you said the problem you have with Lexus is a lack of 'innovation" tells me that you either have a limited vocabulary and have no idea what the word innovation means or that you simply don't know a thing about Lexus.
I think that you've been knocked around enough on this board. I will not respond or trade insults with you. Stick to the point, and by the way, read the ML manual over again.

The Lexus is 1000 times more technologically advanced than any Mercedes I've ever been in! It's not even close!
Yeah right, so that's why they made a better copy of the S-Class. And that may also explain the "serious" automotive patents that are linked to MB. Read on Mr. Advanced Technology

Does your Mercedes allow you to walk up to the door handle and recogize your fingerprint and open the car for you?
Gimmick. I need something serious. That's for the aiport seciruty people. Lexus never invented finger print recognition technology. As usual, they know how to use technology better than many, and maybe better than MB. That's not being innovative!!! I can do same

[quite]Does your Mercedes have voice activated navigation? [/quote]

Again, not a Lexus invention - application to suck in those ingorant poor souls who would rather be making converstaion with a computer than plan their outing ahead of time so driving the vehicle is the most important thing at hand.

Does your Mercedes allow you to talk hands free through your audio system while still having your cell phone in your pocket?
And you call this innovation? Why not just shut the darn thing off and pay attention to the road? And BTW, you can get the parts at your local Radio Shack and DIY

Does your Mercedes have a back up camera when your backing up?
Now I see the mighty big Lexus innovation - a back-up camera to see behind my truck. I wonder how I'd managed for the past 20+ years without one. BTW, the camera is not Lexus' invention and pack-assist does just as well. Has this company ever come up with something new, novel, that one can actually attribute to them, and only them alone?

And you're telling me Lexus lacks "innovation"? I'd strongly suggest you get somewhere near a Lexus, before making such a ridiculous statement!
Hmmmmm, innovation - the introduction of something new, a new idea method or device: NOVELTY - Webster. Lexus (and maybe you), of course, reads this as can "the introduction of something likenew..."

And finally, yes I do think the analog vs digital controls do indeed make a difference. Sure...they function the same, but analog controls look AWFUL, and have no business being in a 55K SUV!
There's no such thing as a digital control in this context. All the buttons are mechanical devices which activate/output digital signals for control. And are you now a design expert - this issus is really a matter of taste. Why do you even bother with the buttons? It's an "AUTO" climate control so keep your hand off it, unless, of course you're looking to find something wrong with the truck.

And just for kicks: rain sensing technology, 6-spd A/T, ABS, BAS, Hill Descent control, electronic brake technology, FSS,...need I go on? I believe you get the point now, Mr Innovation.

Have a good day John, and go out and drive the ML like it's supposed to be driven.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
enigma, you make yourself look really foolish with comments like "ill drive my porsche"... you sounds as though you are trying to "ewww and awww" us. please, you think you are the only one with a high end car? look at what forum youre on...mercedes benz not toyota. stick to the topic and stop trying to make yourself look like something special...cause youre not.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 500
Hey ahopeter...

I won't even dignify that last reply with a comment! I never claimed to be special. You're the one who got all ticked off because someone dared say something disparaging about Mercedes. I don't particularly care whether or not people agree with my comments about the ML or not. This forum is about opinions, and nothing more than that! If others on here think the ML is a great truck, more power to them. I think plunking down 55K for a vehicle at least entitles me to my own opinion! The reality is that those of you putting down Lexus don't own one, and really have zero credibility in my eyes, when attempting to critique a vehicle that you don't own and have probably never even been inside of. At least I own both vehicles I commented on. And for the record, I don't own a Porsche...That was a typo. I meant to say if I was looking for a fast vehicle, I'd drive a Porsche...not my Porsche.

I'm actually amused just how many people whine when someone actually says something they don't agree with about a vehicle they happen to own. The reality is that we don't and probably never will agree on what I believe is an inferior vehicle and one that is simply not up to what I believe Mercedes' standards should be. That being said, it's really okay with me that we don't agree. You can go on thinking the ML is the 8th wonder of the world, and I'll go on believing it's a waste of 55K!

John from Boston
Old 05-04-2004, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
bwahahaha... what a...bwahahaha
Old 05-04-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Enigma, you really enjoy this protracted discussions - you keep on coming back for more, and you know you'll just get smacked again, harder maybe!!!!. You love your Lexus, that's fine. The ML is poorly put together, that I know. However I still like mine, $55K or not!!! That's my choice. You own both, so to even ask the question about which is better is, frankly, silly. You have them both so you don't need me or anyone else to tell you what you already know. Unless, of course, there are ulterior motives in your question. The ML trumps it in some areas, but then, the LX does better than the ML in others. However, again, it's a matter of choice when plunking down $55K+ for a vehicle. If you won't buy another ML, that's your choice. Don't rub it in any one's face!!! Ha, ha, yes you are, and don't even try to deny it!!! And what in the world are you doing with two SUVs anyway? Again, it's a matter of choice. So, shut the f%$k up, get off the voice activated "stuff" and go drive the truck.

And, BTW, on the innovation thing, MB burries Lexus, way deeeeep. On the vocab. thing, RTFManual over again, that's your punishment for the night!!