M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML500 vs. LX 470

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML 500
ML500 vs. LX 470

Good evening all...

I recently found this site, and there is a lot of great information on these boards. I own a 2003 ML500 and it is the first Mercedes purchase I've ever made. I originally looked at the ML 320 but thought the interior finishing touches were almost embarrassing for a company with the reputation of Mercedes. I thought the ML500 looked a bit more refined on the inside. I was originally satisfied with the ML500 until I ran into a squealing brake problem. I called the local dealership and was told this is a problem Mercedes has been aware of for over 6 months and there was still no fix for the problem. The guy at the dealership told me the problem was only affecting the ML500's and not the 320's or 350's, as it was the larger braking system that was the problem. Although the dealer did fix the problem, they were very candid and said it would probably re-emerge.

In any event, I recently purchased a 2004 Lexus LX470 (the larger of the Lexus SUV's), and I must say that Mercedes could take a lesson from Lexus when it comes to making a vehicle and finishing off an interior. Even though I have friends who are pro-Mercedes people and put down Lexus as a "fancy Toyota", the vehicles speak for themselves. I still own the Mercedes, and as I say to anyone who will listen...Drive the two vehicles and then you tell me which one is the better vehicle! I guess what I'm really saying here is I've always believed the ML had some potential. I know these vehicles were plagued by numerous problems when they were first introduced back in 98, and I believe Mercedes has made some progress. That said, it's not enough! This SUV simply isn't up to par against its competitors! I think the Lexus RX330 is a much nicer truck. I do hope when Mercedes re-does the ML model, that they improve upon the old design. While reputation alone might be enough to sell cars to first time Mercedes buyers, quality vehicles will keep them coming back. The ML500 is a nice truck for $35K, not the $50+K it sells for! Sorry about my first post being a ***** session. This is just the first time I've had to complain about the ML500! I would be very interested in hearing feedback from others who have driven and perhaps own both a Mercedes and a Lexus. Which do you think is the better vehicle? Any and all comments are welcomed.

John from Boston
Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
i would buy a lexus...but i hate the cheap toyota interior. how can you knock the interior on an ml, if comparing with that of a lexus? compare the interior of your lex and a toyota...they are very similar and identical in many areas. they use the same components as one another.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: ML500 vs. LX 470

Originally posted by Enigma869
Good evening all...

I recently found this site, and there is a lot of great information on these boards. I own a 2003 ML500 and it is the first Mercedes purchase I've ever made. I originally looked at the ML 320 but thought the interior finishing touches were almost embarrassing for a company with the reputation of Mercedes. I thought the ML500 looked a bit more refined on the inside. I was originally satisfied with the ML500 until I ran into a squealing brake problem. I called the local dealership and was told this is a problem Mercedes has been aware of for over 6 months and there was still no fix for the problem. The guy at the dealership told me the problem was only affecting the ML500's and not the 320's or 350's, as it was the larger braking system that was the problem. Although the dealer did fix the problem, they were very candid and said it would probably re-emerge.

In any event, I recently purchased a 2004 Lexus LX470 (the larger of the Lexus SUV's), and I must say that Mercedes could take a lesson from Lexus when it comes to making a vehicle and finishing off an interior. Even though I have friends who are pro-Mercedes people and put down Lexus as a "fancy Toyota", the vehicles speak for themselves. I still own the Mercedes, and as I say to anyone who will listen...Drive the two vehicles and then you tell me which one is the better vehicle! I guess what I'm really saying here is I've always believed the ML had some potential. I know these vehicles were plagued by numerous problems when they were first introduced back in 98, and I believe Mercedes has made some progress. That said, it's not enough! This SUV simply isn't up to par against its competitors! I think the Lexus RX330 is a much nicer truck. I do hope when Mercedes re-does the ML model, that they improve upon the old design. While reputation alone might be enough to sell cars to first time Mercedes buyers, quality vehicles will keep them coming back. The ML500 is a nice truck for $35K, not the $50+K it sells for! Sorry about my first post being a ***** session. This is just the first time I've had to complain about the ML500! I would be very interested in hearing feedback from others who have driven and perhaps own both a Mercedes and a Lexus. Which do you think is the better vehicle? Any and all comments are welcomed.

John from Boston
Hey John, I am also from the boston area. I find the ML500 interior to be very well equipped and luxurious. The LX470 does have really nice leather but has an abundance of hard plastic and the ML does not. BTW, what dealer are you using, for both vehicles? I have had a nightmare service experience @ lexus of norwood.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey Al...

I purchased the LX from Lexus of Northborough and get my service done there, as I work in that area. I bought the ML at Chambers in Somerville and usually have the service done at Flagship in Lynnfield.

In terms of the "cheap plastic" interior in the Lexus...The person who posted that obviously hasn't been anywhere near an interior on an 04 LX470! As I mentioned earlier, I still own the Mercedes. I simply am not one of these people who believes every car I buy is perfect because I own it. The ML is almost $25k cheaper than the LX470, and I think the Lexus is at least $25K nicer! I don't think the ML is a terrible vehicle. I simply think Mercedes needs to do a lot of work at improving upon their build quality. People expect a lot more out of Mercedes. Do a little research on vehicles and the literature that is widely available on both the ML and vehicles Lexus builds. I think you'll find overwhelming evidence of everything I'm talking about. The only person I've ever met who thinks the ML is a nicer truck are those who own an ML!

John from Boston
Old 04-30-2004, 02:10 PM

SL500
I am a huge MB fan, but lets be honest, it is lacking in many areas. The ML is a good 7 years old. It is the first MB build in America and clearly MB cut corners on quality, it's sad but very true. To even call an ML a Mercedes-Benz is an insult to the brand. Yes, the Lexus is a nicer vehicle, but so is the BMW, Infiniti, Acura, VW, Porsche, etc. To be fair, MB is coming out with a new ML, GST, & G-class as well as some other rumored offerings. Only when these are introduced will we be able to tell if MB is going to be a serious player.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

first of all, no one said anything about "cheap plastic"...AlBoston simply stated that some lexus vehicles have an "abundance of hard plastic" components...so your quote is wrong. you honestly believe that the ml contains as many plastic components as a toyota lx?

secondly, simply because i own (or anyone for this matter)an ml does not mean i think it is better. i think it is better cause i am very familiar with both vehicles and appreciate the standard and optional equipment of the ml. as well as the build quality despite any quirks it may have.

sounds as though you are slightly upset...you commented on the quality of the vehicles and welcomed responses and opinions, or did you not even read what you wrote?

to say that mb's quality as a whole is not up to lexus standards simply cause you may have had issues with what you call the "build quality" of the ml is unreasonable.

for you to attempt and say that some people believe that the ml is better cause one may own one is ridiculous. if you actually READ the posts on this forum you will have a much better understanding that this is not the case. but what can i expect from someone who has 2 posts?

you dont know anyone who thinks the ml is better unless they own one? whoa, then you probably dont know many people. so people dont like ml's as much as the lex? is that why year after year people buy the ml? is that why there are so many ml's? dont try to give me that story that it is cause the lex is more expensive...please. many of the ml owners are more than capable of owning and purchasing a toyota lx. this has nothing to do with financial portfolios.

you act as though i only own a mb, and am in love with everything they do, which is not the case. i just dont believe that a lexus has better build quality or uses better components. you raised the issue and i responded with my comments.

Last edited by ahopeter; 04-30-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Whoa...

I guess I got someone ticked off! First off, let me apologize for my misquoting of Al. You're absolutely correct that he said hard plastic and not cheap plastic. That was my mistake. Also, for the record, I did say and do welcome other opinions, whether I agree with them or not. I understand that this a site dedicated to Benz enthusiasts, so I really don't expect people to put down the car they made a decision to purchase. As for my two posts, I apologize if only having two posts doesn't render me qualified to have an opinion about a car I've been driving for a year! In terms of the build quality...I stand by what I said. As I mentioned in my post, this is the first Mercedes I've ever purchased and if this is the best they can do...I'm not impressed! In terms of the optional equipment offered on an ML...I'm quite sure Lexus offers far more options than Mercedes has on any vehicle they make (i.e. bluetooth technology, night vision, and voice activated navigation, just to name a few!). In any event, I really wasn't looking to start a fight. I was simply making the point that I don't think the ML500 is up to par for a vehicle that has the MSRP that it has. In terms of your final point about why you see ML's everywhere and never see any LX's...I'm not sure how you think that has anything to do with which is the better vehicle! That might be one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard said (or typed, in this case). If I follow your logic, that must mean the Honda Civic is a MUCH superior vehicle to the Mercedes SL500. Afterall, I see many more Civics than I do SL500's, so that many people can't possibly be wrong. Oh, and by the way, I'm sure it has nothing at all to do with the price difference between the Honda and the Mercedes. I'm sure it1's just many more people think the Honda is a superior vehicle

John from Boston
Old 04-30-2004, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my point of price not being a factor in the comparison of the ml and toyota lx is they are in a bracket that is suitable of one another. to compare an sl and a civic is just being stupid. you took a reasonable example and attempted to make it fit your example with a poor overexaggeration.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Yes, and that's my point as well. The Lexus is $25K more than the Mercedes, and if you don't believe a $25K price difference is a factor when purchasing an automobile, then you're very naive! Your point was even more ridiculous, stating that because you see more of one vehicle, it must mean that's the better vehicle. I'll end the argument here, as you obviously have an agenda of some sort. You're just another guy who thinks Mercedes can do no wrong. If you do your homework and read car and driver, edmunds, or any other reputable company who reviews cars for a living, you'd know that I'm not the only one who ranks the ML in the bottom of the class of vehicle the ML falls into. I strongly recommend you read the 2004 car buying issue of Consumer Reports and note where Mercedes ranks in owner satisfaction. I'll give you a hint...It's at the very bottom in its class. After you read it, let me know which auto maker ranked number one. I'll give you a hint...It wasn't our beloved Mercedes Benz!

Listen...My only point here is discussion, and all sarcasm aside, I'm thrilled you think the ML is such a fabulous vehicle. We can agree to disagree on that point. That's what discussion is all about. In my opinion, Mercedes Benz has the absolute best reputation in the auto industry. When you say to someone "I own a Mercedes", you simply expect the very best. All I'm saying is that my expectations simply weren't met. If someone had asked me one year ago which SUV I thought was better, the ML500 or the LX470, I would have thought hands down it would have been the ML500. The point of my post is that after owning both of them and driving both of them, that I was quite surprised at just how much nicer the Lexus is and that Mercedes needs to improve upon their build quality. Consumer Reports had Mercedes Benz as the worst manufacturer in terms of having problems after 5 years of ownership (and that was all models, not just the ML). That article was just published in this year's buying guide, so there are obviously some very unbiased people who believe Mercedes has a lot of improving to do! As I said in my original post, I actually think the ML500 is a decent SUV. I simply think it should be a lot better for the price tag, and I think it's much better than the 320. The 320 reminds me a lot of the C class Mercedes...They cut corners to make the vehicle more affordable and allow anyone to be able to afford a Mercedes. It is my belief and opinion that when auto makers try to appeal to every market segment, that they end up hurting the quality of their product!

John from Boston
Old 04-30-2004, 06:02 PM

Enigma, are you crazy? This is a Mercedes enthusiast site. You can't come here and give a negative opinion no matter how much you add in that you enjoy the vehicle. Some of the owners (not all ) act like they have stock or own the company or somethin'. I have a Benz that I love, but my feelings aren't getting hurt because someone has a different opinion that might not be favorable. It actually helps me to know that there are other vehicle out there that offer more. I just wanted to let you know that you didn't upset me. I'm also in the Boston area.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

HAHAHA...you are too quick to make assumptions about me, and what i know. no i am not upset about any topic you may bring up. this is a forum of discussion, and that is what we are doing.
i am very knowledgeable about cars, and dont need your recommendation to read any auto publication. did i at any time state that i believed that mb can do no wrong? of course mb has faults...thats why i say read the forum before posting then you would know exactly that.
let me ask... what agenda is it that you believe that i may have? thats just ridiculous.
i think there are only two points that we agree on. first, that we agree to disagree. and secondly that automakers trying to appeal to every market ends up hurting the product.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:25 PM

Lexus GS 450h
The guy owns both vehicles and made his opinion on them both.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:49 PM

I dont think its fair to compare the LX470 which is in the same class as an 04 Range Rover both in the 65k plus range to the ML500. I think if you compare the ML500 to the BMW X5 4.4 you get more for your money with the ML for a cheaper price so a more accurate comparison is with the X5 and not with the LX470. I agree with the statement Lexus makes more plush and luxurious interiors compared to MB and even BMW. Lexus is a pure luxury vehicle while MB and BMW are more sporty in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey Ohioguy...

I think your post is right on. You're absolutely correct in your comparison. Let me say that I really wasn't attempting to compare the two by class, as I understand the ML is in a lower class, in terms of price. I guess I posted what I did because of the fact I own both vehicles. I actually have driven the X5 and couldn't agree with you more that you get much more for your money with the ML. In fact, I wasn't even remotely impressed with the X5. I guess a more fair comparison to the ML would be the smaller Lexus RX330. The sad part is I think the RX330 is also a much nicer truck. The Mercedes interior simply isn't half as luxurious as it should be. It's the only vehicle I've ever been in with climate control that has manual dials you have to crank to set the temperature, as opposed to a digital display, that even my 2001 Crown Vic has. This is 2004, isn't it? Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear from someone who has some sense and some sense of objectivity!

John from Boston
Old 05-02-2004, 08:26 AM

Enigma....

You have to consider that ML is a 7 year old technology and is due for update (w164). So your comment is really not fair. If w164 still turned out to be as bad as w163, then we would all agree with you!
Old 05-02-2004, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

go find a lexus forum, if you find the lex is so great in comparison to the crappy build of the cheap mercedes benz products.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by ahopeter
i would buy a lexus...but i hate the cheap toyota interior. how can you knock the interior on an ml, if comparing with that of a lexus? compare the interior of your lex and a toyota...they are very similar and identical in many areas. they use the same components as one another.
i am sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by AMG BRED
i am sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.
and you do?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by ahopeter
and you do?
yes, my family owns one.. and i have driven various MLs before.. they don't even remotely come close luxury wise.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well i own 2 ml's, and have a good friend with a gx470. i dont think his interior compares with my 500.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey ahopeter...

You just mentioned your friend owns a GX470...my comments were about the LX470. I drove both the LX and GX...there is really no comparison! Remember, the LX is $20K more for a reason...they're NOT the same vehicle! That's like comparing the completely cheap ML320 to the now defunct ML55...completely different classes of vehicles. At least I now know from your last post why you're so passionate about the ML...you actually plunked down your hard earned money for two of them! You're a braver soul than I. The only way I would ever even consider purchasing an ML again is if they get rid of their antiquated analog controls, lose the awful black display on their Bose audio system, and drop the price by at least 10K.

John from Boston
Old 05-03-2004, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Hey ahopeter...

You just mentioned your friend owns a GX470...my comments were about the LX470. I drove both the LX and GX...there is really no comparison! Remember, the LX is $20K more for a reason...they're NOT the same vehicle! That's like comparing the completely cheap ML320 to the now defunct ML55...completely different classes of vehicles. At least I now know from your last post why you're so passionate about the ML...you actually plunked down your hard earned money for two of them! You're a braver soul than I. The only way I would ever even consider purchasing an ML again is if they get rid of their antiquated analog controls, lose the awful black display on their Bose audio system, and drop the price by at least 10K.

John from Boston
what he said.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

enigma, you can have your dealer change the backscreen of the bose to blue if youd like.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Hey ahopeter...

... The only way I would ever even consider purchasing an ML again is if they get rid of their antiquated analog controls, lose the awful black display on their Bose audio system, and drop the price by at least 10K.

John from Boston
Enigma, I think you've made your point. The GX is an overall better built truck. But that's not the reason people choose to buy one or the other. The ML has a different target than the GX. In your case, the plush ride is your choice. Not me pal. I like it hard and rough. Whether you like to believe it or not, the ML does everything better than the GX, for its price and age.

The problem I have with Lexus is the lack of innovation - yeah, they've done a few good things, but nothing really major. That's put me off them for a while. What do you have with rotary dials? Digital vs analog? Big deal, they both function automatically and do so quite well - though the GX may have a slight edge.

From reading through your posts, I get the feeling you've not taken time to truly know the ML. Unlike the GX which practically does everything for you, you have to work the vehicle to really enjoy it. Listen, take the ML500 and its potent V8 out for a ride. And while you are cruising at 70-80 and still squeezing out 20-22 mpg, perform a few emergrncy maneouvers, slam on the brakes, then mash the throttle and just sit back and listen to the potent V8 rumble, feel the solid body response to your every input and put a smile on your face. The GX is quite lazy when it comes to my kind of driving!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Darkmann...

The one and only thing you and I will agree on is the ML has more power than the LX470 (You kept referring to the GX, which is a very different truck and not the truck I own!). I agree the ML500 has much more power and really moves when you punch the gas. That being said, if I'm looking to race, I'll drive my Porsche! The fact that you said the problem you have with Lexus is a lack of 'innovation" tells me that you either have a limited vocabulary and have no idea what the word innovation means or that you simply don't know a thing about Lexus. The Lexus is 1000 times more technologically advanced than any Mercedes I've ever been in! It's not even close! Does your Mercedes allow you to walk up to the door handle and recogize your fingerprint and open the car for you? Does your Mercedes have voice activated navigation? Does your Mercedes allow you to talk hands free through your audio system while still having your cell phone in your pocket? Does your Mercedes have a back up camera when your backing up? And you're telling me Lexus lacks "innovation"? I'd strongly suggest you get somewhere near a Lexus, before making such a ridiculous statement! And finally, yes I do think the analog vs digital controls do indeed make a difference. Sure...they function the same, but analog controls look AWFUL, and have no business being in a 55K SUV!

John from Boston

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ML500 vs. LX 470