M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

nav antenna waterproofing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
nav antenna waterproofing...

in the past, i had issues with the nav being inaccurate. one of the reasons was water got in the antenna. ive had the antenna replaced but isnt this one gonna get water in it as well at one point? should i put a bead of silicone down around the base of the antenna? thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
That's surprising..

I have driven is some of the worst showers/storms in my ML...there have been times, when the downpour was so heavy and the visibility so poor that I was in fact using the Nav more to stay on track than anything...never had problems with Nav inaccuracy..

You probably have water seeping right to the wire that carries the GPS signal to the MCS...that would cause this..otherwise Nav antennas are made to be weather proof...

I don't think replacing the antenna is going to help..

Last edited by mihir_d; 05-20-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah, the water was seeping in under the base of the antenna. causing problems with the nav. alot of people have suffered from this issue.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Then you might just want to seal your roof/antenna joint..

Just put some silicon around where your antenna meets the roof - that that should seal your antenna. Of course you might suffer some paint damage and it might be harder to get the antenna off next time..

I don't see any other solution to this problem...I would say ask MB. They should have designed the antenna assembly right to be water proof...
Old 05-21-2004, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Then you might just want to seal your roof/antenna joint..

Originally posted by mihir_d
Just put some silicon around where your antenna meets the roof - that that should seal your antenna. Of course you might suffer some paint damage and it might be harder to get the antenna off next time..

I don't see any other solution to this problem...I would say ask MB. They should have designed the antenna assembly right to be water proof...
perfect, that was exactly what i was asking and what i thought the solution was, thanks for the second opinion! i think im just gonna do that, put a bead of silicone there. i try not to ask mb, they are lost.