M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

attention all ml owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
Exclamation attention all ml owners

If you own a ML this is an important FYI tip.
I just had my 60K Tune up done on my 99 430ML. Im at 72K now. so im alittle late. however. I chose to use an independent factory trained tech. shop. I have been very well educated by the owner and would like to share the info I have recieved to all you fellow motor heads...
First off...
CHANGE YOUR TRANS-AXLE FLUIDS!!!
CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID!!
If you were to go to a MBZ Dealership they will NOT change these fluids even if you ask them too. They use to do it however HQ MBZ told them to stop. because it was countering what the sales dept. is telling customers that the fluids are lifetime warrenteed. Its all a bunch of Bulls...!!
If you want to spend $4500+ for a new transmission and /or a axle ect. then DONT change these fluids.
I took the advice and man you should see the fluid when they change the transmissions and axles. not pretty.
If there is a lifetime fluid in these MLs then answer me these questions....why is there a drain plug? why do they sell the filters and gasket sets?
I have given my car an extend on its life. of coarse I had the oil, brake , cooling system , filters ect. changed as well but unless you ask for the transmission and all the other motoring fluids to be changed you will be in a world of hurt.

Second there is a class action law suit for the ML. There is an automatic 10 yr/150K warrentee on the ML motor. If you are changing your oil and do not have proof that your motor has been using the perscribed and allowed oils recommended by MBZ and your motor FAILS..DOA... then it will NOT fall under this lawsuit. ......so bottom line keep a documented paper trail.

Thirdly....CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER!! There has been a replacement fuel filter made by MBZ that is larger than the old one and it will not let you stranded . Some MLs have had such bad fuel filter problems they also make a 2 filter system as well. So check with your shop.

My truck runs wonderful now and better then ever. I really have had a blast in My ML and have to say this venture cost a pretty penny but it is very much worth it. If you like your ML as much I recommend to look into what I have shared with you. I would be more than happy to give you this persons name but he is part of this large worldwide network and I am sure your shop will have this info. as well. but if not feel free to email me.

I have done quite a bit to make this a unique truck and my latest verture as been a brembo cross drilled brake system. Also duel stainless muffler and exaust. Next will be a custom supercharger...can never have enough fun!! here is a link to the supercharger firm....they have a special running right now for all MBZ owners...good luck.

http://www.myhps.com/press/pressrele...ease10.04.html

Keep motoring....
T.

Last edited by ultracarnut; 05-27-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
thanks for the info carnut...

how much was the tranny fluid change?

lawsuit on motor warranty... did this already go through? or is it still pending?

thanks again.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
It has been recommended to me that not only the transmission but ALSO the differential fluid and the 2 axles fluid MUST be changed. I had also my 60K done plus all other fluids. cost $1500
check with your shop for their prices. Its a life extension for these MLs .
as for the lawsuit..it applies to ALL MBZ...and is currently for the entire motor selections that MBZ mfg. if you need more info I will get it for you.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
more info would be great, thanks!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 M3 ZCP, 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS, 2018 Tesla Model X, 2023 McLaren 720S Spider
Hi, I just want to say that having drain plug and gasket does not mean it's meant for changing. You can imagine when the transmission is broken or something they have to drain the oil first to take it out for replacement/fix, right?

But yeah it is better to change those oil. I have seen those dark, black, smelly transmission oil in my old C-class and my dad was really pissed at MB.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
I talked to my independent today when I dropped off the ML for the trunk not locking problem.

He said it would be about $200 for the tranny fluid change and said MBUSA was crazy for not letting dealers do the change when requested by it's customers

He told me that they usually do the tranny fluid change during the major service when enough mileage has accumulated as well.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:58 PM

1998 ML-320
Re: attention all ml owners

Originally posted by ultracarnut
If you were to go to a MBZ Dealership they will NOT change these fluids even if you ask them too.
Hmmm ... mine did!

Next will be a custom supercharger...can never have enough fun!! here is a link to the supercharger firm....they have a special running right now for all MBZ owners...good luck.

http://www.myhps.com/press/pressrele...ease10.04.html
I urge you to research HPS before you purchase. Search this forum and BW, particularly the CLK and SLK forums. You may want to consider Kleeman or RennTech.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
It has been recommended to me that not only the transmission but ALSO the differential fluid and the 2 axles fluid MUST be changed. I had also my 60K done plus all other fluids. cost $1500
check with your shop for their prices. Its a life extension for these MLs .
as for the lawsuit..it applies to ALL MBZ...and is currently for the entire motor selections that MBZ mfg. if you need more info I will get it for you.
yes, my independent said those exact things are recommended to be done...total about $1200 for the major service
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
I believe that lawsuit (which was settled last year, I believe) pertains only to ML's that didn't use synthetic fluids with the FSS schedule - i.e. pre MY00, I believe. MB did send out letters to owners of these vehicles advicing of the extended warranty and any other repairs that needed to be done.

Although I'm not an advocate for lifetime anything, I know a bit about lubricants: one has to careful when judging the protective efficiency of a lubricant based only on visual examination, especially synthetic lubricants. Trust me, if the fluids were that bad for the design of the system you'd not be having a transaxle or tranny by now. I believe there are people here who have gone more than 60K with the OEM recommendations. I don't buy all of the recommendations and I plan to do this major service at 50-60K and hope nothing goes bad b4 then.

Note also that starting MY05, regular service intervals (which aren't free anymore) are 12 or 13K. I do not know if that includes the tranny and transaxles.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:52 AM

99 ml320
So this should be done at 60K? How often after that? 120 &180? $1200 Is a pretty penny but well worth it if it extends the life of the machinery.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the information!

I don't like going to the MB Dealerships for service anymore because they always seem to overcharge like crazy. Is there a place online that lists these independent factory trained shops?

My mother's ML320 is at a little over 50000 miles now, and it has been driven pretty hard in the past (by me) so I'm definitely going to pitch these service/tune ups to her.

If I go into one of these factory trained shops do I just tell them I need a tune up and to change the mentioned lubricants? Or is there checklist somewhere? Thank you!

PS. I haven't kept the receipts for my oil so far, so I guess I'm out of luck in regards to that lawsuit?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 PM

I recently got a site where they sell Mercedes ML430 parts. The price was quite reasonable... maybe you can find parts you're looking for there...
Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
I better do mine then.. I'm at 89K miles now. I plan to use royal purple Max ATF for the transfer case, Royal Purple Max Gear for the F and R Diffs. Use MB ATF for the Trans and change it 2 times at about 1000mile apart. Will change filter and gasket at 2nd ATF change. That should be a fun filled day under the car.

I'm running Royal Purple 10W30 motor oil right now.. Pretty happy with it.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:27 AM

changed mine at 111k miles last month at the mercedes dealership. cost me like 400 bucks, tranny stillg oing strong at 113k almost.