M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

W163 seat heater settlement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 CLK550 Coupe
W163 seat heater settlement

Need some help regarding this seat heater settlement.
We own a 2000 ml430, driver seat heater has not been working properly but has not burned any hole through the seat cover. We submitted the claim forms we received in the mail and was approved for the seat heater bypass procedure. Unfortunately every Mercedes dealer we called were unable to set up an appointment because they could not find the recall or they said that the seat had to catch fire before bringing it in. What is going on here?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The bypass solution was devised by a sheep herder trying to make money. MB dosent bypass anything---they fix things and in your case they are referencing a TSB on the subject. I'd take the subject up with your extended waranty company and go to the dealer and get a copy of the applicable TSB---where did you dream up this situation!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 Wagon
I know exactly what you are referring to. I took the trouble to submit the form earlier in the year as well for the seat heater bypass per the Callaway Settlement. I got notice of the final decision in May, and the go ahead to schedule the car for the procedure, with a deadline of mid July to get it on the books. Our local MB dealer Service Manager was nice enough to look online and see what I referring to. They are well aware of the settlement, but thought it was in terms of post damage repair, which has been the case since 2017. After more reading, he saw the Wire Bypass option details. He tried to look up our vehicle in their system for a bulletin to link it to so they can schedule, but nothing exists for the Wire Bypass Procedure. He speculated that it may due to it being so recent, and MB hasn't gotten things arranged yet. He said they would also need to make a Wire Bypass Repair Kit available. He promised to contact his Regional Manager to find out, and thinks this will happen, it's just a matter of time. That was two weeks ago. I will follow up next week, but I have a sinking feeling that the whole Wire Bypass Option is going to be "ignored to death." The settlement lawyers got what they wanted, and this whole exercise of submitting claims for this work to be done was just to meet the requirements of the settlement. I will see what the Service Manager finds out next week, but I am prepared for the whole thing just to be a big sham with no intention by Mercedes to honor this, and the Law Firm to wash their hands of it. I did email the Settlement contact address three weeks ago for help in how to do this with the dealers, and the response was pretty much it's Mercedes job to schedule and provide details. We're just being pawns in the cogs of the legal system here, I'm afraid. Anyway, thanks for posting. I thought we were the only ones trying to get this done =)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 Wagon
I wanted to post an update in case others are struggling with this. My local dealer finally got us scheduled for the Seat Heater Bypass Procedure. They got what they needed, and have us set for next week. They just want us to bring a copy of the Settlement Letter when we come in. The Dealer didn't seem too responsive for over two weeks, but I finally heard from them. Two days ago I also emailed the Settlement Admin for help as a last resort. And they said to give them them Dealer name and contact info. So I'm not sure if they had anything to do with it. But anyway, it looks like this is possible to get scheduled and done by the late July deadline. If you are part of the claim and the dealer is giving you grief, email the Settlement Admin here: info@MercedesBenzSeatHeaterSettlement.com and they will look into it for you.