M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

uneven ML brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 e55
uneven ML brake pad wear

I have a 03' ml350 with 19k on it. During a wash today I checked my brake pads. To my surprise I found a very unusual situation and am curious if this is common, expected or if I have a problem.

Both rear outer pads were worn from the top down. That is the outer pad is almost completely worn and at the pad backing plate at the top/outside rim of the rotor while the bottom of the pad that rides the center of the rotor has a good 1/4" of pad.

For those of you who have done your own brake jobs is this common and expected or is this an issue? What would cause this? Is this covered by warranty?

Any info would be appreciated. If this won't be covered I will slap a set of new pads on. If so, should I go stock or aftermarket?

Thanks,
A
Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: uneven ML brake pad wear

Originally posted by Driver55er
I have a 03' ml350 with 19k on it. During a wash today I checked my brake pads. To my surprise I found a very unusual situation and am curious if this is common, expected or if I have a problem.

Both rear outer pads were worn from the top down. That is the outer pad is almost completely worn and at the pad backing plate at the top/outside rim of the rotor while the bottom of the pad that rides the center of the rotor has a good 1/4" of pad.

For those of you who have done your own brake jobs is this common and expected or is this an issue? What would cause this? Is this covered by warranty?

Any info would be appreciated. If this won't be covered I will slap a set of new pads on. If so, should I go stock or aftermarket?

Thanks,
A
Uneven brake pad wear on the rear pads is a common thing. Not that it is good or normal or OK, it just happens a lot.

Please do a search in this forum or on benzworld.org and you will find a lot more information.

-s-