M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Introduction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Introduction

Hello ML owners, both lovers & haters. I just bought my wife an ML500 Limited Edition yesterday. I sure hope we grow to love it for a long time, and don't have as many problems as some posters here have had. We replaced my wifes 2003 Grande Cherokee Overland. A recent auto accident, ending in death, of the daughter of a friend, was the final thing that prompted me to buy my dear wife a safer (& much nicer) vehicle. I've been driving a BMW X5 4.4 for the last year or so, and figured it was time to put DW in a comparable vehicle.

She has always liked the ML's, we came real close to buying one in Jan 03, but ended up with the GC, as she already owned one of those & had been happy with it for about 6 years.

My business partner owned a ML320, a 98 or 99 IIRC, that he was just super pleased with, even though he had his share of gremlins with the vehicle. He did on occasion complain about the lack of power. After driving my X5 with a 4.4 V8 for a while, I would find it hard to go back to a 6 cylinder.

Anyway, I'll be checking in to the forum fairly regularly to keep up with what's being discussed, both pro's & cons.

David in MD
Old 06-01-2004, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
first, welcome to the forum. im sure you will find it a great source for all things mb. congrats on the new purchase, im sure youll enjoy it.
im sorry for your friends loss... thats the worse thing that can happen is to lose a child.
oh! did you know the ml500 is rated as being slightly quicker to 60 than your x5!!! fun fact to share with the Mrs.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ML350
I also just got a ML350 after driving JGC for the last 6 years.

With respect to the safety issue though, I would like to offer the following incidents re: Grand Cherokee....

1) In my 2001 Grand Cherokee I was involved in the accident where I was rearended by a van and pushed into the vehicle upfront (ford taurus). Result: the van had no front.... and the tauras was badly damaged. My Grand Cherokee - scratch on the front bumper, a scratch on the rear bumber. That is all

2) In my fathers' 2002 Grand Cherokee, he was hit by a Suburban. Suburban hit my father's GC so hard (at the drivers side) my father's JGC turned over and turned back onto its wheels (360 degrees flip). My father was driving and my mother was a passenger. After the overturn, the Jeep's engine was still running. My parents had small scratches. Although the Jeep was totaled, it saved my parents' life.

I am very excited about my ML350 and I am sure it is even safer SUV than JGC. But JGC is not that bad after all based on my personal experience. At least it saved my parents' life. On the other hand, maybe another car would not overturned like Jeep when hit by a Suburban, but who knows. Just a food for thought