M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Survey: Are you happy with your ML?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 08:10 PM
stk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survey: Are you happy with your ML?

Hi everyone

I am new to this group and I join because I am planning to get a new ML. However, after reading a few complains about the ML here, I am now having doubt about the car. My main concerns are reliability and quality. I don't want to pay a high price for a car that is poorly built and prone to problems.

I would love to hear comments from ML owners about their cars. If you could just state the model and year of your ML and whether you are happy with it, that would be great. The more reponse from existing owners the better as it will help me and other prospective buyers of the ML.

I am planning to get a brand new ML320. I really wish all the problems in the earlier ML have been fixed in this year model. I really like the overall appearance of the ML. Both the exterior and interior designs are execellent in my opinion. It would be unfortunate that such a beautiful car has so much problems under its skin.

Thanks for all your response

Shane
Old 04-18-2002, 10:05 PM

'00 ML430 & '02 Porsche 996
You'll get two sets of answers....

One set of answers will from those lucky (or tolerant) ML owners who will do nothing but praise their ML and either over look or not report their ML's short comings. Of course theirs may well be 'perfect'.

Then there will be the rest - usually called whiners (by the group above) who have had multiple quality problems and less that satisfactory response from their dealer and or MB USA.

To my great regret I fall into the latter category, my 2000 ML430 with 28,000 miles has had a litenany of failures - averaging something going wrong every 6- 8 weeks. I'm not talking minor cosmetics here either.

So am I satisified - no, would I buy another ML - no, would I recommend MB or the ML - not even to my worst enemy.

And now I've just discovered the tranny in my '02 996 Porsche is leaking oil - guess who made the tranny ? Yep MB !!

In any event good luck with your decision - hope it works out for you.

Tim in San Diego
Old 04-18-2002, 11:44 PM
stk

It would be interesting to see how many are happy about their cars and how many not. I guess you are definitely not.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Almost a Member!

ml430
ML satisfaction

There seems to be two distinct camps of like and dislike - I susptect these are just the most vocal people. I would also say most of us have very high expectations of any vehicle we get, let alone a MB. The items you mentioned (looks, design, reputation, specs, etc.) also attracted me to the ML. Overall, I have been pleased. There are a couple little things that bother me, but fortunately I have not had anything major like some have reported. I got a '99 430 when it was two years old. Shortly after that my wife got a new 2001 320. We looked at the Acura and it seemed ok. I don't think it is quit the vehicle the ML is, the dealers had a attitude problem for the most part and they were harder to come by. I have a friend with a 2001 320 and he also seems pleased. Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
Smile Add on

I want too add my personal opinion about my 2000 ML320. Since I bougth it 2 years ago the major problem I had was the fuel pump that quit on me while I'm driving i a high speed. I just thanks up above that everyone on my family are safe. No one gets hurts. And since then I don't have any more problem. IMO the MB is still a reliable vehicle safety wise is # One IMO. I know some owner have a never ending problem and I respect them to there opinion, if you are not happy why keeping it... no one can tell you to keep it. The bottom line is I love my ML and I will keep it. Good luck. :-))
Old 04-19-2002, 01:37 PM

Unhappy Am I happy ? ....

Hi Jimb,

Maybe I should attempt to clarify my earlier post.

Safety - I agree the ML is one of the safest if not the safest SUV on the road. If safety is your number 1 criteria for purchase, then the ML is probably for you.

Am I happy with my ML ? - Yes I am probably 90% of the time, but for the other 10% when the gremlins play up - then I'm definately not a happy camper.

Why am I unhappy 10% of the time - because I expect much better build quality and reliability from an MB product. This topic has been beaten to death so many times, I won't go over here again.

Is the ML a 'good' design ? Undoubtedly it is, my wife loves driving it - but is scared to rely on it for any long journeys for fear of a break down. It's just the poor execution of the design which lets it down - compounded by poor quality components.

Why do I keep my ML ?
Basically because I paid alot of cash for it and find it hard to admit to myself that I made big mistake and will have to take a substantial hit when I sell it. Also I'm always hoping my latest problem will be my last...

Does MB USA look after its customers ? To an extent they do, but I feel us ML owners are second class MB customers and get treated as such.

Your mileage may vary !

Tim in San Diego
Old 04-19-2002, 05:50 PM

ML270
Well I feel sorry for my North Americaian friends, we own a 2002 ML270, which so far has performed fine.

We are wrapped in the torque of the diesel engine, and love the fuel economy. In actual fact it does better than MB claim, and at just over 30MPG, does slightly better than my ladies 2001 civic.

What I think needs to be said is the following.

1. There will always be unsatified customers, and MB have their share. The problem is not that you have problems, but it is how the dealer meets the requirements.

2. I believe that at least in the USA, UK and Australia, MB has its share of dealer problems, and a course of dealer developement, is long overdue. It is not good enough to take the sale, and then give poor or indifferent service. I hate to say it, but down here, Lexus and BMW, leave the MB service for dead.

3. However in regard to customer complaints, when I look at the USA market, you have greater consumer protection, and a small percentage of people who are dissatified with their car.

I think that the 2002 models, have overcome many of the previous problems, and should give good service.

I suggest that instaed of trying to obtain the lowest price, you select your dealer, on the basis of how good his after market support is.

I personally talked to many people, both in the street and parking lots, and also spoke to people waiting in the service department, for their cars to be returned.

I also obtained written quotes, for normal service parts, like belts filters, and found that from dealer to dealer, the parts prices vary greatly. I know that it is common to offer a discount on parts, but the discount is useless, if the sell price has been hicked by up to 100%.

You really also need to understand, for what purpose you are buying the car for. If you want it to do the job that say a Landcruiser does, then you may be disapointed, but if you want a fast comfortable toring car, which is just at home on rough roads, then you could do a lot worse, and pay a lot more.

However if you want to push the car to extreem operating conditions, on a daily basis, then I suggest you look elsewhere.

Its all about getting the right tool for the job.

Regards

Col Tigwell Downunder
Old 04-19-2002, 06:02 PM

The difference is I suspect....

that the European versions of the ML have less (if any ?) domestic US electrical content and thus a lower 'incident' rate.

Generally I'd rate the mechanics of the ML as tending towards first class - but the electrics are very poor (probably due to lack of quality control by MB USA at the US manufacturing plants).

Therefore I would expect non-US ML's to be much better, possibly because they have real Bosch electrics rather than Delco or what ever brand is fitted here.

Of course I could be entirely off in the weeds here and maybe all ML's have the same dubious electrics fitted ?

BTW our ML is carefully driven, pampered & never abuse - it looks like new inside & out. So I don't think abuse has had anything to do with our reliability problems.

But as I've said before, when it's working - it's a great truck, just wish it didn't have to go in the shop so darn often.

Tim in San Diego
Old 04-21-2002, 10:25 AM

2001 ML320
Question

I have a 2001 ML320 and had a 98 ML320. I really love these vehicles but will not buy another (or any MB). I have not had dramatic problems but did not expect any problems from a vehicle with the MB logo. I have had several Lexus autos and the quality and service is second to none. My feeling is that you should be a rarity to have any minor problems on a marque of MB's reputation. My problems have not been terrible, just annoying. Eg, a rattle in the dash and the dealer had it 12 times without doing much or fixing. Got the regional rep. involved and it was fixed. Also, drivers window switch was bad (also in 1998 ML), rear trim piece replaced, hatch rattled, front medalion paint came off, ignition switch was replaced and alarm was going off by itself for no apparent reason. None of these were life-threatening or trip stopping. However, the dealer was not aggressive about fixing these problems. Very different from Lexus. So, I really love this truck because it fits my needs and personality, is safe and appears to be mechanically sound. BUT, I will not buy another MB because these problems should not occur in a auto from this famous marque. Someone on this forum talked about the 2002 ML he bought being much better because it didn't have the amount of problems or rattles that his 98 or 99 did! Why would it have any? They have had several years to fix problems and have not!!! Very sad.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:03 PM

Hi Ron, if only.....

my problems were confined to rattles and sqeaks (of which I've got quite a few - but never complained about) - then I'd be more than content with our ML.
But, alas, in my case I've had a number of hard failures - to name a few, battery, alternator, MCS Nav system, door locks (about 6 times), potential brake failure (no warning light), O2 Sensor, window switches I could go on and on.
I must have visited the dealer a dozen times for major warranty repairs - got to the point where I'd wait for one or two things to be busted before booking in for repairs.
Now I could have probably lived with this hassle - 'cos like you say it's a good truck to drive etc. Further the dealer, while not being the best, did try their best. But what really ticked my off was the arrogant attitude of MB USA in the form of the So Cal Regional Rep (Ed Conner). In speaking with Ed on the phone it was clear he hadn't even looked up the service history on my ML before basically saying 'tough' - keep bringing it in for service. No apology what so ever.

Tim in San Diego
Old 04-21-2002, 04:30 PM

ML 500 Sport
I have a 2002 ML 500...with all options.
About 3000miles now and I keep looking for any signs of problems and I have not found any of note...had one small problem with the cord on the cell phone but that was quickly replaced...My feeling is that there is a big difference between the earlier MLs and the 2002 which has a great deal of improvements...I have to say that my ML has less squeaks and rattles than my 2001 CLK 55. General fit and finish seems to be quite good. My biggest criticism would be the slowness of the automatic trasmission response. But I am sure I have been spoiled by the sport tuned CLK 55...besides I am also sure that there are etra save guards for the complicated drive line in the ML. At first I had a few reservations with steering response but that was successfully adjusted with tire pressure.

My suggestion...go with the 2002 or later...look it over really good...break it in properly... and report any problems or questions immediately...Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:54 AM

98 ML320
AM i HAPPY????

HELLS NO IM NOT HAPPY THE TRUCK SUCKS. MAYBE CAUSE I HAVE 93,000 MILES ON IT haHahAHahaha. BUT I DO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS AS OTHERS ON THIS BOARD. BREAKS WEARING OUT TOO FAST, GAS GAUGE, ALTERNATOR, HOOD JUST POPPED UP WHEN I WAS DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY, SQEAKY NOISE FROM THE BACK SOMEWHERE, STRUTS, TRANFER CASE, WINDOW BUTTONS MANY OTHERS I HAVE FORGOTTEN, BUT THEY ARE JUST MINOR PROBLEMS BUT STILL .

98 ML320
Old 04-25-2002, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

'00 ML430; '00 C230K; '01 CL500 (passed along...)
Re: I'd wait for one or two things to be busted before booking in for repairs.

same here, but with a twist: we plan three-day weekend trips around dropping off our '00 ML430 on a thursday afternoon. we get better gas mileage on the ML320 loaner, and put about 500-600 miles on it heading up the coast or to the desert. the following monday (or whenever it's ready), we pick up our freshly washed car.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:01 PM

2002 ML500 which I absolutely love. I really don't like going more than 2 days w/o driving it. Purchased 12/1/01 9600 miles. Steering wheel is off-center (****). The last time I filled my tank in NJ $5 the guage didn't register. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I hear that in 2003 all MB's will have all-wheel drive so I'm starting to eye the e-class. One day, I'll get an S. I will also look at BMW and Lexus when it's time to purchase again. As things stand I'm probably MB for life.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:50 PM

ml430
Wink do i like my '00 ml430?

hi,
i am a car person big time. i wanted a full blown "all out" jeep!
i have a 94 jeep recent went to buy a C class for my "SO" and saw the M class. well a lot of things sold me right away. the price
which is less, the quality of many things.

so i found this one. it is in perfect condition i brought it in 5/02
with just less than 7k miles (that's right seven thousand)
with lots of extras installed with parts picked up in germany by the previous owner, (I have the entire manual set in german). anyway, i love most all the things with the car. i do baby it with the zymol stuff and etc.

but the brake dust and the sky roof noises drive me insane.
when i take it to the dealer i feel like they try to take care of me better than jeep or other makes of vehicles i have had.

i just think i have to be more angry at them(dealers). to really show i like my vehicle more than most people, otherwise they think i just drive the vehicle to the ground, like most people.

so all in all i have had this vehicle for 4 months and really do like it. i hope it lasts a lot longer with less problems than my jeep has had.... which is none with 176874 miles on it.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
of course I do like my ML. I have a '02 320 and it's done for me what I purchased it to do - haul people in comfort and keep the naughty child in the 3rd row seat. The MY 02 vehicle is what Mb should have put out in '98 and I hope Mb takes note. Listen folks, MB is not sitting up there happy year after year when JD Power and its survey don't put the ML first in class. Even consumer reports can't sertify the ML as best buy because of its numerous problems. This must hurt. In certain situations, MB reps haven't been much help either. That's really bad. But, despite all that, the '02 vehicles are a bargain. What i hope for now is that MB should drive a Lexus, BMW, Nissan, Infinity and Acura and decide if they want to stay bargain basement or not. The ML is a bargain and in so doing MB has had to cut corners. I hope they put the emphasis on quality and move on.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
We have a '00 ML and it has been great. The only problem - someone else mentioned a similar item - the fuel pump went out while on a vacation to Montana. But the MB dealer fixed it with no problem in just a coupl eof hours and we were on our way.

Other than that - we had to replace an outside mirror (wife broke it) but they replaced it under warranty.

So far it is 2 1/2 years old and 35,000 miles, and runs like a top!

The only complaint I have - I wish it had the bells and whistles of the '02 and '03 models!

We test drove the LX470, RX300, and X5 (4.4) and were not impressed with any of them. The RX and X5 were too small, the LX was WAY too big. Surprisingly, neither my wife nor I liked the way the X5 drove - too darty and too sensitive to the throttle! Fine in a sports car, but not in an all-purpose vehicle used on long trips and to the grocery store!

We would definitely get another ML - the only question is to get an '03 or wait a year (or two or three) for the "new" model!
Old 09-16-2002, 01:00 AM

red bicycle
Hey,

I feel that I've told this so many times before on this forum, but we used to own a 1998 ML320, which we were happy with. I was fortunate enough to have the car at school for winters. It was a great highway cruiser to and from school...and was unstoppable in the snow (even without ESP)...great for Ithaca winters. Yeah, corners were obviously cut compared to other Mercedes, but I always thought it felt like a Benz.

Our biggest problem was a faulty fuel pump (though didn't leave me stranded), but 1998 models were notorious for that. Same for a broken window switch. That was basically it, aside from minor rattles that were eventually fixed.

I just accepted the car for what is was. Yeah, it had its problems (mostly minor), but it was dependable, well engineered, and never let us down. I can understand why people aren't so willing to merely accept a car's faults...especially with a $40K car. But hey, Jaguar owners were fiercy loyal even during the dark ages of British quality control (not too long ago). It's an emotional attachment. I really miss our ML320 now that its gone. Oh well.

My parents traded in our ML for a 2003 Jaguar S-Type in July...and they already decided their next car (in 4 years) will be another Benz. I don't know if anyone else got it, but we received a coupon (yes, a coupon) from MBUSA for $1000 off the purchase of a 2003 or 2004 ML. Maybe...

Todd
Old 09-16-2002, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I'd buy another one.

With 40,000 miles, I have had problems, but the dealer has been great and roadside assistance has always been prompt. Compared to the other choices at the time, I have no regrets and still don't. The only new suv worth considering is the bmw, but that is a lot smaller and since I don't tow anything, the 6-cylinder suits just fine.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:12 PM

1991 300e
ML 320 has a few bugs

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with our ML 320 mainly because my wife (who loves it!) has to drive it daily. Bug #1: Carpet in driver's footwell inexplicably began to fray and wear through at 3,000 miles. Fixed under warranty. Bug #2: What's up with the fuel pump? Our's failed at about 25,000 miles stranding my wife and kids on the side of the road. Fortunately it was on a Saturday afternoon in a shopping area. Fixed under warranty. Bug #3: Driver's side window stopped moving. Bad switch, fixed under warranty.

I've got a little less than 20,000 more miles covered under the factory warranty. Wondering what will happen between then and now, and if I should trade it in before I am liable for these bugs.

Things I would like improved: Handling (ponderous, hoping new tires will help) and brakes (squishy, does not inspire any confidence).

Otherwise, SUV works about as well as any SUV on the market. Decent comfort, good utility with seats folded to haul stuff.

Jon
Old 09-21-2002, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
Thumbs up

I have a 1999 320 ML. It now has 64K miles on it. It had a lot of what I considered little warrenty issues all of which were resolved to my satisfaction.

I'm very pleased with it and have no desire to replace it.

Just remember it's not a sportscar and it not a G-Wagon. If you want a very high quality SUV built in Germany then the G-Wagon is a better choice.

Ron