M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Fiber Optic CD Changer Install in a '98!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML-320
Fiber Optic CD Changer Install in a '98!

Thanks to Paul, Wolfgang and especially Scorchie for their help on this mod!

I have a '01 MCS, and wanted to install an OEM CD changer. That MCS requires a Fiber Optic CD changer, which I purchased used from a forum member.

I used the following reference materials ...
Paul's VES Pub
Becker d2b Info
2001 Becker 2662 CD changer install instructions
'98 Radio and '01 MCS pinouts at Wolfgang's site

The only tool purchase was a 7/16" 12 pt socket, which is needed to remove the rear 40% seat ...

This part was made easier by Paul's excellent VES pub! The center console was removed, including the rear bracket and the rear heater piece. The Fiber Optic harness was routed from the rear panel under the carpet pad to the center console ...

to the MCS. I think running the harness under the door sill panels may have worked, too. I used Loctite 242 on all seat bolts, and plastic zip ties for the fiber harness to keep it in place.

Taking Scorchie's advice, I purchased a Fiber Optic harness for a W203. It comes in three pieces, only one of which I used. It comes with connectors (90 degree), but 180 degree connectors are available. Connection of the Fiber Optic harness was completely plug-and-play. The connectors only go in one way, so its foolproof.

Since I had the '98 OEM changer harness, I had to get the powerwire connector ...

I couldn't locate a P/N for just the connector, so I purchased a W203 harness and used just that connector.

Parts List:

1. W203 Fiber Optic Harness: 203-540-63-08. Cost was $99.
2. W203 Powerwire Harness: 203-540-09-09-98. Cost was $37. (I'm sure there is a cheaper way of getting that connector!)

I connected from the CD changer power connector to the MCS as follows:

Pin 1 (Brown) to MCS connector C2-06
Pin 2 (Red) to MCS connector C2-05
Pin 3 (Blue) to MCS connector C2-04.

After that connection, power at the changer dropped from 12v to only 3v. That was the only problem I had. The CD changer would not work, nor would it eject the cartridge. So, I tapped into the rear 12v outlet for power, and it now works perfectly!

The sound is incredibly good, I guess owing to the Fiber Optic transmission. The changer rapidly changes between CDs, and switching from one track to another works perfectly (unlike my old pre-NAV CD drive, which is headed for the trash!). It reads my CD-R's perfectly! Haven't tried MP3, but I don't expect that to work. The only thing lacking at this point is the clip for the rear changer attachment point, which is on order. I should get that piece in a day or so.

You know, I'm starting to like this truck!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Fiber Optic CD Changer Install in a '98!

Originally posted by UncAl

2. W203 Powerwire Harness: 203-540-09-09-98. Cost was $37. (I'm sure there is a cheaper way of getting that connector!)
Good job!

Two notes I will add:

1) you can run the wiring under the door sill plates. Might be easier for some people than taking out the rear seat. You do need to get the wiring under the B-pillar though, and so to do that correctly, it is easier to take that out as well.

2) You can get the power connector and pins separately... they will cost you about $5-10 depending where you go. Most places charge $2.50 per piece, and it is four pieces: housing, 3 pins. HOWEVER, to use them properly, you will need a crimp tool which is $40-120. So I thought using the harness with a wire already attached would be easier, and then crimping a barrel or using a Z-connector (Scotchlock to us Americans) is something easier and cheaper.

While you were running the fibre optic wire, I would have run the full 203 power wire harness. Something in the original harness must be causing your voltage problems.

-s-