M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Third brake light out. Where to buy bulb/install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third brake light out. Where to buy bulb/install?

Went to inspection today and didn't realize my third brake light was out. So after wasting an hour, I'm searching online right now for a replacement. The only one I found was this: http://www.carpartsplace.com/item.ww...illid=8&image=

Does anyone know if this is a specific bulb I need, or will any bulb at PepBoys work? In addition, can I only change the bulb, or do I need to replace the whole third brake light assembly? Lastly, I can do this on my own right? I'm not much of a mechanic... but I figured this was a matter of just plugging in a wire or two and some removal of screws.

Thanks for any help in this matter...
Old 06-16-2004, 03:24 AM

ML 270 CDI 2002
Never changed one before, but most bulbs on cars are "owner friendly". As per any other light, it is just the bulb you change, there should be no need to change anything else. Depending on the bulb type, it will either just pull out, or you might have to twist it. I would suggest you take the bulb out then go to your local autoshop. I assume it is a standard bulb, so should be readily available.

Last edited by Swiss Nick; 06-16-2004 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:43 PM

It was so simple, should have consulted the owners manual before wasting a thread on it .

Anyway, yeah it's only the bulb. I opened the assembly and couldn't figure out how to take out the bulb, so I whipped out the manual and for future reference...

Push down on the bulb and rotate. Then pull it out.