M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Aftermarket headunit in an ML?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket headunit in an ML?

I'm starting to look into purchasing an ML but am not too thrilled with the Mercedes Benz NAVI unit. If I do not get the NAVI, is the stock headunit location a DOUBLE-DIN size? I tried researching on Crutchfield but it says not available since they have not measured the ML, which sounds weird given the vehicle's popularity.

Anyone know if a DOUBLE-DIN unit can fit in the ML?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have seen pics of double DIN units fitting since it is a double-DIN openeing. I have a Pioneer headunit in my '99. Funny that Crutchfield doesn't have any info since I purchased the wiring harness from them years ago. But my vehicle is a non-BOSE.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity
I have seen pics of double DIN units fitting since it is a double-DIN openeing. I have a Pioneer headunit in my '99. Funny that Crutchfield doesn't have any info since I purchased the wiring harness from them years ago. But my vehicle is a non-BOSE.

Thanks for your response.

Can I ask you about your H&R Springs and Bilsteins? How is the ride compared to the stock suspension? I'd like to lower mine as well but I don't want to fear driving in New York City or on bad roads in general. The ML is going to be bought for those reasons and I don't want to turn it into another car which I fear driving on un-smooth surfaces. What are your thoughts and how much did it lower it?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2004, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by JuBu
I'm starting to look into purchasing an ML but am not too thrilled with the Mercedes Benz NAVI unit. If I do not get the NAVI, is the stock headunit location a DOUBLE-DIN size? I tried researching on Crutchfield but it says not available since they have not measured the ML, which sounds weird given the vehicle's popularity.

Anyone know if a DOUBLE-DIN unit can fit in the ML?

Thanks!
Double-DIN doesn't indicate the depth... the ML will take a very shallow double-DIN head unit, unless you do some cutting of the radio cage. If you cut the structural supports, it will hold a larger head unit.

-s-
Old 07-09-2004, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JuBu
Thanks for your response.

Can I ask you about your H&R Springs and Bilsteins? How is the ride compared to the stock suspension? I'd like to lower mine as well but I don't want to fear driving in New York City or on bad roads in general. The ML is going to be bought for those reasons and I don't want to turn it into another car which I fear driving on un-smooth surfaces. What are your thoughts and how much did it lower it?

Thanks!
JuBu:

I think the H&Rs lower about 1.25". The ride is definately firm/rough. The shock doesn't seem to be able to absorb the weight (doesn't seem to be designed for lowered applications). If I drive about 5 MPH and go over a speed bump that is about 4 inches high, it will hit the bump stops in the front. I did not turn the front torsion bars where the front is lower than the rear-I kept it all even with front and rear. Pot holes are a "no-no".
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Here's an example of an Eclipse Headunit...

And this Clarion headunit that fits the Navi Area perfectly...

Old 07-10-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Viktorious
Here's an example of an Eclipse Headunit...
Thnaks for the responses guys!!!