M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

SRS Light After Dead Battery Left in "On"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2019 | 10:10 AM

'00ML320, '13 C350(Sold); '14 C250(Sold); '16 C300(Sold); '17 GLE350 (Sold); ‘18 E400 Coupe 4M
SRS Light After Dead Battery Left in "On"

Hello everyone, well from my research it seems I did a very bad, no good, terrible, awful, thing. I left my key in the "on" position overnight, only to come out the next day to find the battery completely dead. I put a trickle charger back on the battery for the day. The battery seemed fully charged once I started. I got the usual BAS/ESP, Radio Codes when the car started up. I was able to clear those as usual. However, the SRS light came on and it hasn't gone off.

The dealer cleared the codes (they didn't tell me exactly what they were) only for them to come back on once the car moved. They are telling me I need a new SRS Control Module. My online research seems to have provided at least a little advice. That a dead battery in the "Acc" or "On" positions is worse than just a normal dead battery, and that the module may have "forgotten" the VIN number for the airbag/SUV. Resetting the codes didn't work. The dealer is quoting me $1400 to replace. I have read about companies that can fix this module if you send it to them, although that seems a little scary to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As an FYI: The dealer performed a battery test and said it failed - I need a new battery. They also tried to do an emission inspection for my registration and received numerous "Readiness codes" I assume that is because I haven't driven the car enough since the dead battery incident.

Thank you again,
Jonathan
2000 ML 320 (214K miles - original owner - excellent condition)
Old 08-30-2019 | 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by jdsmbfan
Hello everyone, well from my research it seems I did a very bad, no good, terrible, awful, thing. I left my key in the "on" position overnight, only to come out the next day to find the battery completely dead. I put a trickle charger back on the battery for the day. The battery seemed fully charged once I started. I got the usual BAS/ESP, Radio Codes when the car started up. I was able to clear those as usual. However, the SRS light came on and it hasn't gone off.

The dealer cleared the codes (they didn't tell me exactly what they were) only for them to come back on once the car moved. They are telling me I need a new SRS Control Module. My online research seems to have provided at least a little advice. That a dead battery in the "Acc" or "On" positions is worse than just a normal dead battery, and that the module may have "forgotten" the VIN number for the airbag/SUV. Resetting the codes didn't work. The dealer is quoting me $1400 to replace. I have read about companies that can fix this module if you send it to them, although that seems a little scary to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As an FYI: The dealer performed a battery test and said it failed - I need a new battery. They also tried to do an emission inspection for my registration and received numerous "Readiness codes" I assume that is because I haven't driven the car enough since the dead battery incident.

Thank you again,
Jonathan
2000 ML 320 (214K miles - original owner - excellent condition)
Yup. You did a BIG no-no.

What? the stealership didnt provide you with the error codes displayed? Did you ask?
You need to get those codes (in the SRS module) they read and give it to you in writing. (whether you paid for this service or not.)

Usually, after clearing the codes, you turn the ignition off.....wait at least 20 seconds before starting the engine to see if the SRS light re-appears..
Old 08-30-2019 | 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Mercedes charged you for their lies, post a copy of your bill with your personal info redacted.
Old 09-03-2019 | 10:08 AM

'00ML320, '13 C350(Sold); '14 C250(Sold); '16 C300(Sold); '17 GLE350 (Sold); ‘18 E400 Coupe 4M
Well luckily they didn't charge me for any diagnostic services. I can call to see if their internal records indicate the codes. They did indicate that they reset the computer a couple of times. Am I out of luck.....do you think that procedure was done incorrectly at the dealer?