M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Are ML owners whiners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are ML owners whiners?

So I've been doing alot of research on MLs because, well i want one or at least think i do. Anyhow I currently drive a 95 M3 and frequent the Bimmerboards and previously the Audi boards. The bimmer/audi guys don't seem to cry nearly as much about problems and most really seem to be more DIY'ers. So I started thinking, are the ML guys just more reliant on dealer service because they don't like to work on their own cars or because they simply expect a mercedes to be trouble free? Well as part of my research I've been calling local independent MB repair shops and asking their opinion about the ML 230s. To my surprise, the three shops I called all gave the ML high marks for reliability. I specifically asked about the power steering line going bad, cost of oil changes, cats going bad , 02 sensors, low range button lights blinking, window switches and these three shops acted as though i was crazy. I really don't think they are trying to trick me into getting an ML, but I can't see how so many people that complain about their ML's if it wasn't true. One shop said that if you have an OBDII scan tool you can save yourself alot in cost and time because most of the problems are minor. What do you guys think? BTW I do not mean to offend anyone with the title...
Old 07-15-2004, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
No...we are not. A lot of us are DIYers. I am also known as "Sincity" on bimmer.org and did a few mods to my E46 coupe. Many of us with 98-00 experienced more problems than the later years. I, myself, have taken this vehicle in to the dealer more than 12x since is was new. As a matter of fact, right now, my ML has been at the dealer for 9 business days. Thank god for that C320 Wagon loaner!

Since you spoke with an independent shop, they may have not performed many of those aforementioned problems since most of them will have been performed by the dealer under warranty. These are known facts that 98-00 exhibit more problems than other makes.

Good luck........
Old 07-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
No we are not. But if we complain we have good reason to. Case in point read here https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/75936-transmission-failure-99-ml430-w-56-000-miles.html. Tranny fail at 56000 miles and look how much the "STEALER" is charging to replace it.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by gshock
So I've been doing alot of research on MLs because, well i want one or at least think i do. Anyhow I currently drive a 95 M3 and frequent the Bimmerboards and previously the Audi boards. The bimmer/audi guys don't seem to cry nearly as much about problems and most really seem to be more DIY'ers. So I started thinking, are the ML guys just more reliant on dealer service because they don't like to work on their own cars or because they simply expect a mercedes to be trouble free? Well as part of my research I've been calling local independent MB repair shops and asking their opinion about the ML 230s. To my surprise, the three shops I called all gave the ML high marks for reliability. I specifically asked about the power steering line going bad, cost of oil changes, cats going bad , 02 sensors, low range button lights blinking, window switches and these three shops acted as though i was crazy. I really don't think they are trying to trick me into getting an ML, but I can't see how so many people that complain about their ML's if it wasn't true. One shop said that if you have an OBDII scan tool you can save yourself alot in cost and time because most of the problems are minor. What do you guys think? BTW I do not mean to offend anyone with the title...
No, but if you want to see whiners, check out the W211 boards. And that's people who visit the boards, not necessarily owners.

Anyhow, if the shops you contacted don't know anything about ML window switches, they've obviously not worked on very many. I haven't worked on many but I've run into at least 3-4 with the problem. Also, since there are TSBs on both the window switches (and that the switch module was completely changed to fix the problem) and the power steering line (wasn't there even a recall on that), I think that Mercedes has pretty well documented a lot of these problems. Also check AllData for some interesting stuff.

To me, it sounds like the shops you talked with don't really know much about Mercedes... that would be my initial impression.

Also, I think most ML owners are NOT DIYers. Not to mention a lot of them have included service with their vehicles, so why even DIY?

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
READ: http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/ml_class.php
Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 PM

2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Originally Posted by Sincity
Those stories can't be true.

The Mercedes Experience, Unlike Any Other.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks for the reply guys... I only used that title to get your attention. Anyhow, if the parts that are replaced ie window switches, pwr steering pump lines have been replaced, are they replaced with the same part or a revised part? I would imagine a 99' that has been through the ringer on warranty repairs might be better than it was when it was new? just a thought...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gshock
thanks for the reply guys... I only used that title to get your attention. Anyhow, if the parts that are replaced ie window switches, pwr steering pump lines have been replaced, are they replaced with the same part or a revised part? I would imagine a 99' that has been through the ringer on warranty repairs might be better than it was when it was new? just a thought...
Power steering hoses are "fixed" versions. Window switches are now "fixed" versions but they still break. The only real fix for the window switches was when they were redesigned to be the W210 style (2002+ I think).

A lot of interior quality issues (like rattles, loose panels, etc.) have been addressed under warranty by the fitting of various kits to fix the problems. I think those cars shouldn't encounter those problems again.

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by scorchie
Power steering hoses are "fixed" versions. Window switches are now "fixed" versions but they still break.
I discussed this with an MB engineer a while ago. The problem is that the insulation glued into the doors may come loose in early MLs (before they introduced the magnetic mats) and falls against the windows. Then the lifter motor draws too many AMPS and the contacts in the switches wear out. So when replacing the switch I check how many AMPS it takes to move the window. Should be around 8 up and 6 down or some such.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/amps_draw.html

Last edited by ml320; 07-16-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:51 PM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
it took my dealership 5 tries to figure out the problem with my ML.. as to why it wasnt starting

and i did lose power steering..

those are the 2 major problems i have faced with my ML.. other than that.. its all good.. so i dont think i am whining at all.. if anything.. i am being pretty good forgetting the other minor problems i have been through
Old 07-18-2004, 08:59 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Yes.

Many ML owners are whiners.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ml320
I discussed this with an MB engineer a while ago. The problem is that the insulation glued into the doors may come loose in early MLs (before they introduced the magnetic mats) and falls against the windows. Then the lifter motor draws too many AMPS and the contacts in the switches wear out. So when replacing the switch I check how many AMPS it takes to move the window. Should be around 8 up and 6 down or some such.
Good tip Wolfgang... do you know if the "new" style window switches changed to CANBUS with door controller modules? Because that system seems to save a lot of bad wiring problems.

-s-
Old 07-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by scorchie
Good tip Wolfgang... do you know if the "new" style window switches changed to CANBUS with door controller modules? Because that system seems to save a lot of bad wiring problems.

-s-
Yes, it did change to CAN-Bus, scorchie. In fact last time I talked to my dealer tech and called it "window switch" he corrected me, saying that's the "LCP". The mirror adjustement and mirror fold-in motors hang off it as well.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:41 PM

BMW 320i
I believe the stories having bee there done that. I have 2 dealers in my area and both stink! All they care about is how much money they can lift out of your wallet. Bad service bad attitude.

I love my ML 320 but it will be my last MB.

Steven---
Old 07-19-2004, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
ML whiners?

I own an '01 M3 and modified '98 ML320. My experience with the first-year truck was many minor proiblems the first year, all handled well by the dealer, and rock solid reliability in the 6 1/2 years since (except for one key chip failure). My dealer is very good-went through and did all the updates prior to warranty expiration. I am looking forward to getting the raplacement next year (TDi?). Many do whine, but I see the same thing on the M3 boards.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-20-2004 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-20-2004, 10:44 AM

w210 e55
Bought my '03 starmarked. When I got it, it needed eight warranty repairs. Some starmark huh? But since then it's been a rock for the past seven months. If it holds up, I will be very happy with it.