M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New to the W163 platform... Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes-Benz ML500
New to the W163 platform... Help?

Hello, all! I recently got back into a Mercedes after a few years of questionable vehicle choices, and would love some advice!

While I am not new to the brand (my first car was a w202 c280, also had a w209 CLK350 for a while), I am new to the w163 platform. I recently picked up a 2002 ML500 as a secondary vehicle, and while I am loving it so far, there are definitely a few quirks and flat out issues.

First off, the radio. I have the dreaded "no sound from the Bose system" issue. It's a factory NAV unit. From my research, it is either the head unit or the factory amp. What would be the best way to proceed? Stock HU? Double-Din aftermarket? I have done aftermarket installs in the past but I wasn't sure if the Bose systems were fussy with this.

Also, a bit of an annoyance - when removing his plates from the vehicle, the previous owner broke the two top retainers that held on the rear license plate. Yes, both of them. It is my understanding that these are a rivnut style from the factory. Would it be better to try to install new rivnuts, or go from the back and use a normal locking nut/washer? Pros and cons to each?

I look forward to speaking with you all about these wonderful machines and appreciate any insight you may offer. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
First of all, did the previous owner give you the Security Radio Code? This is needed in case the battery is disconnected.

Secondly, do not replace the Amp. The problem is an internal fault in the radio or a fiber optics problem
Old 02-04-2020, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by ipodtouchballa
Hello, all! I recently got back into a Mercedes after a few years of questionable vehicle choices, and would love some advice!

While I am not new to the brand (my first car was a w202 c280, also had a w209 CLK350 for a while), I am new to the w163 platform. I recently picked up a 2002 ML500 as a secondary vehicle, and while I am loving it so far, there are definitely a few quirks and flat out issues.

First off, the radio. I have the dreaded "no sound from the Bose system" issue. It's a factory NAV unit. From my research, it is either the head unit or the factory amp. What would be the best way to proceed? Stock HU? Double-Din aftermarket? I have done aftermarket installs in the past but I wasn't sure if the Bose systems were fussy with this.

Also, a bit of an annoyance - when removing his plates from the vehicle, the previous owner broke the two top retainers that held on the rear license plate. Yes, both of them. It is my understanding that these are a rivnut style from the factory. Would it be better to try to install new rivnuts, or go from the back and use a normal locking nut/washer? Pros and cons to each?

I look forward to speaking with you all about these wonderful machines and appreciate any insight you may offer. Thanks!
Welcome ipodtouchballa,

Replace the old tired double din. You can also bypass the FO amp as well as the wanna-be sub-woofer under the DS seat (http://www.whatsinside.info/mercedes...ystem-w163-ml/)

Read Here

There are plenty of other threads showing and discussing this DIY to provide you with all the present bells and whistles to replace the proprietary oem Bose system.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'04 ML350

I only use the bottom two to fasten the license plate = no problem for a couple of years now.

I wanted to remove the entire fiber-optic from mine and found the following:
The back window is the radio antenna.
There is not a cheap or reasonable method of using the factory amp with an aftermarket stereo. You can tap the speaker wires near the factory amp, though.
You can remove the amp, headunit, roof antenna and disc changer without triggering the SRS light. If you remove the e-call module behind the passenger seat, it will trigger the SRS light on the dash. Supposedly you can program the e-call/SRS out of the system using the proper scanner or software.
Radio = what Dundee said.
troubleshoot:
chip:
Old 02-04-2020, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Aar Sto
I only use the bottom two to fasten the license plate = no problem for a couple of years now.

I wanted to remove the entire fiber-optic from mine and found the following:
The back window is the radio antenna.
There is not a cheap or reasonable method of using the factory amp with an aftermarket stereo. You can tap the speaker wires near the factory amp, though.
You can remove the amp, headunit, roof antenna and disc changer without triggering the SRS light. If you remove the e-call module behind the passenger seat, it will trigger the SRS light on the dash. Supposedly you can program the e-call/SRS out of the system using the proper scanner or software.
Radio = what Dundee said.
troubleshoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRFUl-GUps
chip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ius0zOHK9Nc
Correct.
It uses the proprietary FO system.

If it does not have FO (earlier Bose models), then you are ok to use it.

HOWEVER, you can re-purpose the FO amp box (up in the firewall) and its connector to the harness very easily by gutting internals and rewiring for the boxes connector re-use with the existing harness.
You just need basic soldering / wiring skills and the minimal related tools.
Once it's all put back in place, factory look and a new double din with all the bells and whistles one ever needs.
OR, you can add a smaller amp at the same location, whatever, if you want a boom-box on 4 wheels (not my thing...)