M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Catalytic converter/Windshield rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 350
Catalytic converter/Windshield rattle

I recently took 2003 350 in for service. I complained of rattle in trunk area. They ordered new latch. They called(3 weeks later) to tell me that latch.....and catalytic converter were in for replacement. Why converter?
Also recently had windshield replaced and now I notice a rattle from dashboard by windshield. Coincidence?? Gee after reading some of the posts, I probably appear finicky! Seriously....any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited by mhaskelo; 08-04-2004 at 11:43 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 08-05-2004, 05:41 AM

The windshield rattle could be coming from your upper A pillar trim. There are two metal clips on it. One snaps in close to the top at the windshield seam. If they took the A pillar trim off when they replaced your windshield they could have spread this clip open, which could cause it to rattle, also on that same metal clip it has a place the sunroof drain hose and the headliner wireing harness clips in to hold them down to keep them from rattleing, if eather one of them is not in their clip then either they or the clip can rattle. An easy was to check this is to hit the upper A pillar with your hand and see if it rattles. If you can't get it to rattle then it could just be the windshield itself sqeeking and it will go away in a few days. On the cat replacement the dealer probably saw where they needed replaceing and since it is under warrenty it should not cost you a thing. Hope this helps . Autogunner.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 ML 350
Autogunner....thanks. Windshield rattle more from dash than A pillar. Any other thoughts??