M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brake pad Replacement, (rotors too?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Brake pad Replacement, (rotors too?)

I have new pads for my 2000 Ml320 have 47k on the odo rotors look good do you all replace the rotors too? The last couple cars I have owned being Audi's I have only replaced the pads at 45k? Just curious what most people are doing out their. I don't think the rotors should be replaced if they are not warped and they are not wear down too much? Correct me if you think I am wrong!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML 430
in general considering they're fairly affordable.. my criteria is simple -- replace if:

1) rotors are worn to the limits

or

2) rotors are worn to near the limits, and putting new pads on would outlast the rotors (eg. you'd have to change rotors somewhere in the second half of pads life)

or

3) any other "defect" (warped etc..)

other than that, no reason to change.. though, as you'll note, I don't mention any specific mileage...

having said that.. it turns out my rotors lasted 71k miles... mainly cause no one replaced 'em before
Old 08-05-2004, 08:32 PM

its recommend that you replace the rotor when replacing your pads. The rotor are price within range (100-120 each) if purchase at your local MB dealership.

So its not that expensive to do a brake job. My dealership did it for $745 for two front rotor and pads.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:15 PM

ML 320 MY2000, C320WZ MY2004.5
I replaced my front pads for $70

Yes, but I did buy the rotors also. The new rotors' thickness is the same as my old one so I didn't replace them just the pads. The old rotors where my 2nd set after the stealer changed all (front&rear) rotors and pads with only 24K miles on the 1st set-- charged me $800 for the job. I thought that was very unusual that they had to change all of them for such very low mileage.

They tried to changed the only the front this time when I went for B service at 46K miles. I declined because I wanted to see the warning light come on before changing them to see if the warning system really worked. The warning light came on at 52K miles but that doesn't mean that you're out of pads already -- just make sure that you get it done within a week if you only drive local.

Within that week, I ordered Rotex pads since people are raving about how clean they are compared to the OEM pads. They are indeed cleaner. I can't wait to changed the rear pads with Rotex also.

I just recently bought a C320 Sports Edition and my sales guy confirmed that MB uses soft pads for braking safety reasons that's why they wear early. However, he did gave me some tips on how to save breaks by down shifting on turns and curves. I do it a lot on my C and have started to do it on my ML but you have to get ready with the foot on the brake pedal or apply just a bit of pressure to the brake. It's easier to do when you've driven a stick shift before and downshifts on curves. I love MB's tiptronic because its available for use at its normal position. With other cars, you have to move the stick to a certain area before you can use a similar feature of tiptronic.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
All right folks, its NOT JUST YOU. ALL ML's and virtually ALL mercedes for that matter typically wear brakes faster than what you may be used to out of another car. The new E and C class cars have substantially improved brake life, but we all drive ML's here. In my experiance it is not at all uncommon to need rotors every time you replace pads. You will probably not be happy after a week if you just replaced the pads, as the rotors will cause a brake squeal. I don't know of any benz dealer that turns rotors, due to the fact that removing metal would just make them warp faster. The rotors are pretty soft, and they build up a lot of grooves in the surface. Your pads will squeal like a stuck pig every time you apply the brakes unless you do the rotors. Its one of those jobs that the tech is trying to cover his assets on. Most of the time they squeal, so its best not to take that chance. Every now and then I run across a set that only needs pads, but those are few and far between.
I have changed many a full set of brakes on an ML with as few as 10K miles on them. Its just the nature of the beast. ML 500's are the worst in this regard. 30K seems to be a good average for most cars, at which time they will usually need front pads and rotors. Depending on the driver it may need all of them. Brakes are wear items, your mileage may vary.
Oh and before I forget, NEVER EVER EVER change the rears without doing the rotors too. I went through this time and again before it became a rule. They just never seem to go without squealing unless you change the rotors. Doesn't matter what model either, they all do it. I always quote them, and let the customer know that if they don't change them, we cannot guarantee a squeal free brake job.
Hope this helps give you some insight as to why the rotors are recommended so often!
Old 08-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

[QUOTE=Pancham]....

Within that week, I ordered Rotex pads since people are raving about how clean they are compared to the OEM pads. They are indeed cleaner. I can't wait to changed the rear pads with Rotex also.

....QUOTE]

Where did you buy the Rotex Gold from? Looking for those for my '01
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:12 PM

ML 320 MY2000, C320WZ MY2004.5
try brakeworld.com

Try www.brakeworld.com ...

What has been said about re-using the old rotor that's in good condition with new rotex pads is true as far as it making a noise. The noise I hear is somewhat minimal (a slight screeching as you apply the brakes to come to a full stop - not too loud; you can't hear with windows closed) and doesn't happen all the time. Such noise could be attributed to the fact that Rotex is a combination of metallic materials and kevlar which is harder than the OEM pads. If you have extra cash, you might want to change the rotors to the Brembo slotted version also sold by Brakeworld.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 PM

Make no sens to change rotor as you change pads.

hello,

Rotor should last at least twice the pads.
Sorry angeleye328i but 745$ for the renew of front pad is very exagerate expecially if you do that every time that you need to replace the pads.
it's ridicullous! I paid 34 $ for the pads at Autozone plus 3$ for an anti squeal!
I did spend one hour for work.
f course the new pad work as good as before.

You should replace the rotor is the tickness is less than the one specify.

Please guys don't waste you money for nothing.
Bye.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Pancham
Try www.brakeworld.com ...

What has been said about re-using the old rotor that's in good condition with new rotex pads is true as far as it making a noise. The noise I hear is somewhat minimal (a slight screeching as you apply the brakes to come to a full stop - not too loud; you can't hear with windows closed) and doesn't happen all the time. Such noise could be attributed to the fact that Rotex is a combination of metallic materials and kevlar which is harder than the OEM pads. If you have extra cash, you might want to change the rotors to the Brembo slotted version also sold by Brakeworld.

Good luck with your purchase.
Exactly what i've been looking for! Many Thanks Pancham!