M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

'06 M-Class, G-Class, R-Class, B-Class, Smart ForMore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
'06 M-Class, G-Class, R-Class, B-Class, Smart ForMore

There have been a lot of posts asking about the W164 ('06) M-Class (which will likely come in SWB and LWB form), the new G-Class (probably MY'07), the R-Class crossover (production GST), MB's new small crossover (perhaps called B-Class), and Smart's first US model, the ForMore SUV.

I have put together some of the newest spy shots and info - enjoy

2006 M-Class (W164)

This first shot is a photoshopped version of one of the newer W164 spy shots. You can see that the headlights, taillights, and fender-area styling have been touched up, so this is not exactly what the production ML will look like, but you get an idea of the car's shape:

Here's a spy shot of the interior:

Here's the article text from TCC:
These photos show the next generation M-Class without any disguise. The few strips of black tape on the prototype have been taken off by computer, so that the final styling is now visible.

The next M-Class will be available in two body variants, a long and a short version. The photos are showing a prototype of the standard-wheelbase model. Mercedes will also add a GST touring wagon to its off-road lineup to outflank rivals like the Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, and the restyled BMW X5. The GST is not exactly an off-road vehicle but more a crossover with available all-wheel drive.

All four cars, the new M-Class and the GST (R-Class) in both versions are currently being tested under the code-name W164 and will be built in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Power will come from a choice of gas engines starting with a 245-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 in the ML350 and a 292-hp V-8 for the ML500. Two new V-6 diesel engines delivering 190 and 215 hp will be added. All versions will be equipped with a seven-speed automatic transmission.

The current M-Class has been on the market since 1997.
The information they give about the engine choices is largely speculative. I don't see why MB would install the 3.7L V6 from the current ML350, which is just the old 3.2L bored out to 3.7, when they have the all-new 3.5L DI V6 in production, first introduced in the new SLK350, so I would say the base engine for the US will be the new DI 3.5, not the 3.7. As far as the V8, it's possible the 5.0 will continue to labor on, as I don't believe MB's new V8's will be ready any time soon.

Here are some more spy shots of the W164 M-Class:

2007 AMG M-Class

These are some shots of the next AMG ML. This will likely be powered by the supercharged 5.5L V8 used in many other AMG models (E55K, SL55K, S55K, CL55K, CLS55K) and whose non-supercharged version powered the W163 ML55 AMG prior to its demise after MY2003. The pictured car is the short-wheelbase model; the suspension appears a bit lower than the non-AMG models photographed above.

2006 G-Class

On to the new G, here are some of the latest spy shots believed to be it (these show a car that appears to be larger and more rugged-looking than the W164 shots, so it's probably the G). As you can see, it's still pretty well covered up:

Here are some shots with both the new G and the W164 ML:

W164 M-Class LWB?

Then there are a few shots like these ones, which to me look more like an LWB ML than a G...

2006 R-Class (production version of GST)

The styling of the production R-Class will likely be pretty similar to the Vision GST and Vision GST II concepts shown by MB. Here's are some photos of the GST II:

B-Class Crossover

Here are some shots of MB's crossover based on the new A-Class, perhaps named B-Class:

2006 Smart ForMore

This will be Smart's first model to be officially sold in the US. The ForMore will be styled essentially as an SUV version of Smart's current ForFour model and will be produced in Brazil.

Here's TCC's article on it:

Smart USA confirmed Wednesday that it will launch a new SUV as it enters the U.S. market in 2006. The SUV, named formore, will be built in the Mercedes-Benz plant in Juiz de Fora, Brazil. The plant has a capacity of 60,000 cars per year, half of which will be sold in the U.S. in a full sales year.

"The formore is the ideal model to launch the smart brand in the U.S. market," said Scott Keogh, general manager, smart USA. "We see a huge opportunity in this market for this truly distinct brand, which has the courage and resources to make a real break from conventional automotive thinking. With its unique engineering and design elements and exuberant character, the smart formore will bring the brand's core characteristics to a segment populated by 'me-too' vehicles." Keogh explained that because the formore will be unique in the U.S. market, "SUV" translates to "smart utility vehicle." Formore will be Smart's seventh vehicle.

The six other models are sold in 31 markets. Mercedes officials say the plan is to establish smart in the U.S. with an SUV to establish the brand's bonafides, and then fill in the product lineup with other smart vehicles that are already on sale in Europe. Mercedes is hoping that smart will do for the company what MINI has done for BMW in North America: establish a profitable second sales channel that will support non-prestige vehicles that are nonetheless premium prices and which will support heavy promotion of licensed goods and merchandising.

Mercedes dealers interested in carrying smart will have to dedicate new showrooms.
Here is the official sketch released by Smart:

Here's a photoshop creation based on the sketch:

Hope you liked it

Last edited by amb9800; 08-10-2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by mbakshi
2006 M-Class (W164)
Here's a spy shot of the interior:
Thanks for posting all this info. TCC didn't get the above picture right. It's not from the W164 but from the W251 (GST).

I don't see why MB would install the 3.7L V6 from the current ML350, which is just the old 3.2L bored out to 3.7, when they have the all-new 3.5L DI V6 in production, first introduced in the new SLK350, so I would say the base engine for the US will be the new DI 3.5, not the 3.7. As far as the V8, it's possible the 5.0 will continue to labor on, as I don't believe MB's new V8's will be ready any time soon.
Depends on when the all-new 3.5 liter V6 (M272) is ready in the ML Version. Last I heard is that the W164 may start with the M112/M113 and change over lateron. But this may change.
2007 AMG M-Class

These are some shots of the next AMG ML. This will likely be powered by the supercharged 5.5L V8 used in many other AMG models (E55K, SL55K, S55K, CL55K, CLS55K) and whose non-supercharged version powered the W163 ML55 AMG prior to its demise after MY2003.
It will be the M 63 AMG with the new 6.3 liter M154 AMG engine with around 500 hp. It should appear in the spring of 2006.

W164 M-Class LWB?

Then there are a few shots like these ones, which to me look more like an LWB ML than a G...

I am not sure that there will be a LWB W164 M-Class. When you look at the headlight on the pic above, it seems to point in the direction of the new G-Class (code named X164).
B-Class Crossover

Here are some shots of MB's crossover based on the new A-Class, perhaps named B-Class:
Yes, that's the B-Class. Thanks for putting all this together!!!

Last edited by ml320; 08-11-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by ml320
Thanks for posting all this info. TCC didn't get the above picture right. It's not from the W164 but from the W251 (GST).
You're welcome

Yes, you're correct about the TCC-posted interior shot. That is the R-Class, not the W164 - besides the height of the interior, the slope of the windshield also seems to point in the direction of the W251.

Depends on when the all-new 3.5 liter V6 (M272) is ready in the ML Version. Last I heard is that the W164 may start with the M112/M113 and change over lateron. But this may change.
Yes, that's a possibility (a switch from the 112/113 to an ML-spec M272 after release), but I don't think it would be in MB's interest to do so. Frequent model changes, especially on a model replacing the nearly 7-year-old (since US market release) W163...

It will be the M 63 AMG with the new 6.3 liter M154 AMG engine with around 500 hp. It should appear in the spring of 2006.
That too has been flying around the rumor mill and will depend on timing. If the 6.3 for the ML is done by then, I guess it'll be put in, but with the way MB's been doing things lately (with regard to updating models with the new engine lines), it might just end up with the ol' 5.5 for a little while...though the AMG ML can stand to wait a few extra months for release, unlike the mainstream models.

I am not sure that there will be a LWB W164 M-Class. When you look at the headlight on the pic above, it seems to point in the direction of the new G-Class (code named X164).
Yeah things like the headlight similarity and other little details do seem to point towards the G, but all the usual magazines, web sites, etc. have been reporting an LWB model, so I put it up there, accompanied by the '?'

I'm really wondering what the sizes of the new ML and G will be like - the SWB (or just vanilla, if there's no LWB) W164 looks awfully small. If it's significantly smaller than the W163, that'll put MB on a very bad stance for US sales, as one of the 163's high points was its relatively large size (interior capacity), which gave it an edge over competitors like the BMW X5 and Lexus RX. But now even the RX has grown up and isn't that much smaller than the W163, and the Acura MDX is just as big, if not a tad bigger, than it.

Should be interesting to see how this all plays out....
Old 08-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by mbakshi
Yes, that's a possibility (a switch from the 112/113 to an ML-spec M272 after release), but I don't think it would be in MB's interest to do so. Frequent model changes, especially on a model replacing the nearly 7-year-old (since US market release) W163...
Checking the M272 introduction timeline, it looks now that the ML350 might get the new engine, if produced starting around May 2005. Not sure yet if the V8 (M273) is ready yet. So far looks more like 2006.
I'm really wondering what the sizes of the new ML and G will be like - the SWB (or just vanilla, if there's no LWB) W164 looks awfully small. If it's significantly smaller than the W163, that'll put MB on a very bad stance for US sales, as one of the 163's high points was its relatively large size (interior capacity), which gave it an edge over competitors like the BMW X5 and Lexus RX. But now even the RX has grown up and isn't that much smaller than the W163, and the Acura MDX is just as big, if not a tad bigger, than it.
The new ML (W164) increases about a 8" in length and 2-3" in width and loses about 1-2" in height. The huge cargo capacity remains about the same, 2300 liter, and the payload remains at around 1700 lbs (about double the payload of the RX I believe), while it becomes lighter, about 4200 lbs empty, about the weight of 98/99 MLs.

The new G (X164) increases about a foot over the new M-Class, has about the same width, but retains the higher stance of the predecessor, about 1-2" higher than the new M-Class. Cargo volume increases to 2600 liter, much more than the current G, which I believe is smaller than the W163.

There's also a smaller ML/K in the planning stages, but MBUSA doesn't seem to be interested so far. It would then only serve other markets. A small truck based on it is planned for South America, for the campesino farmers, better suitable for dense forests than the larger Unimog. Production site is Juiz de Fora in Brasil, on a line next to the new Smart formore small SUV.
The all wheel drive technology from the C-class will be used.

Last edited by ml320; 08-17-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:58 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
so i take it the new G class will be a full sized SUV? will it? that would be gravey, and what about the new MLX class?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by MadDawg
so i take it the new G class will be a full sized SUV? will it? that would be gravey, and what about the new MLX class?
Yes, the new G (codename X164) is a full size SUV, over 200" long, and uses the same technology as the new M-Class (codename W164). I don't think there will be a long wheelbase new M-Class.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:13 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
what does one think what the MPG the new M class and G class will get, in an estimate, doesnt have to be perfect, as long as its better than 18mpg.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2004, 08:46 PM

04 G500, 04 XC90-T6, 00 F350
I really hope MB calls the new model something else besides a "G". Anything, call it an F-class or whatever. In fact the new spy shot of the White mb prototype looks very much like a SATURN - take another look! Yikes. Let chrysler/ford screw up another superb line of vehicles.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
what does one think what the MPG the new M class and G class will get, in an estimate, doesnt have to be perfect, as long as its better than 18mpg.
The ML350 should be slightly better than the previous model. But once the diesel models become available, the ML 280 CDI or ML 320 CDI it should be great, 25+. No date is available yet when they might be introduced. I guess around 2006/7.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by GQBenz
I really hope MB calls the new model something else besides a "G". Anything, call it an F-class or whatever. In fact the new spy shot of the White mb prototype looks very much like a SATURN - take another look! Yikes. Let chrysler/ford screw up another superb line of vehicles.
It will be named the new G-class. The white model on top is a drawing, not a photo. The real thing looks better and is actually recognizable as a G, at least to someone who knows Gs. I would have preferred it be named M-class LWB instead of G. G just makes it more expensive. The Sprinter may be a good alternative for some uses. E.g. google for The Ultimate Windsurfing Van by Danny Steyn.

Last edited by ml320; 08-17-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
The new ML (W164) increases about a 8" in length and 2-3" in width and loses about 1-2" in height. The huge cargo capacity remains about the same, 2300 liter, and the payload remains at around 1700 lbs (about double the payload of the RX I believe), while it becomes lighter, about 4200 lbs empty, about the weight of 98/99 MLs.
That sounds good, but there are spy shots with the smaller testing vehicle (SWB or normal W164) shown above - I believe from Dubai - that have it positioned close to a W163 - the latter looked quite a bit bigger. I'll try to find the shots.
I would have preferred it be named M-class LWB instead of G. G just makes it more expensive.
Yes, I would too. The new 'G,' as it looks now, will be more like an enlarged ML. It certainly does not look like an evolution of the current G's design. They could have done something along the lines of a modern interpretation of it (sorry to even mention it here, but sort of like GM's H2 as an interpretation of the Hummer H1), but that would probably not sell as well as a normal, full-size luxury ute. Basically, MB wants a bigger chunk of the Land Cruiser / LX470 / Range Rover / Escalade / Navigator market, which this 'new G' will help them do.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:46 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
well, look at it this way, the lincoln navigator and aviator? the M class and G class?

i think it will be cool, and if the new G class can be priced lower than 60k and get better than 18mpg, thats gonna be my dads new car.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:10 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
really nice pics thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 AM

ML55
i hope the G-class doesnt loose its macho-rugged-unique design, i hope it doesnt turn out too look like an excursion. Nice Pics.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:46 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
when does one think i could get my hands on the new G class or M class? the soonest on the west coast to say the least.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
when does one think i could get my hands on the new G class or M class? the soonest on the west coast to say the least.
The M-Class should be out to dealers by about April-May next year. As it looks right now, the new G will take a bit longer, perhaps coming 8-12 months later, around the release time of the AMG-tuned M-Class.

One thing I'll suggest, though, is that if you're looking at either, you'll probably want to wait at least a month or two (preferably as much as possible) after the new models are on the market before buying one. That way, you'll avoid some of the early-model bugs that nowadays seem to particularly plague MB model releases. (though you'll find some in every manufacturer's new models)

Hope this helps