M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help! help!! Help!!! Opinions/Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Help! help!! Help!!! Opinions/Suggestions Needed

Usually this will be an easy decision to make - I want the ML500 and I just buy the darn thing. But here's the problem: My dearest darling wife thinks it's ugly, a chopped off minivan and that it has no room, especially when the 3rd row seat is added, and I may need it - she's comparing to my '95 Pathfinder which has served us for ove 130K problem free miles, and still running very good. My 9yr daughter old thinks that the BMW X5 is a much beter looking SUV to go with. My wife agrees with her that the ML has "no character"!!! To complicate matters more, there's the '02 Nissan Pathfinder with a 240HP V6 which is very comparable to the ML (for what I want in a SUV), and several, several dollars cheaper!! What do I do??? By the way, I need a SUV, not a sedan. We have a '01E430 and as good as it is, it doesn't haul much of anything in the trunk. We do a lot of vehicle travelling all over the place and I need the xtra room. The Pathfinder has proven to be invaluable in this respect - that bit of room in the back is worth it. Next week I get a ML500 to live with for a whole day!! Ok folks, dump your opinions on this. I need as much help as I can get. Keep in mind, I WANT THE ML500.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:12 PM

2014 E350, 2008 C300 Sport
my opinion

If the ML is going to be your car and you like the styling, get it. Your wife/daughter won't be driving it so what would it matter to them? As for "no character", you can always dress it up with a push bar, rims, etc, if the stock equipment is not enough. Also, if you can afford the extra money to get it, again, get it. I know too many people that don't get what they want and end up regretting the decision afterwards. Get what YOU want and what you can afford. Otherwise you'll just drive around in your Pathfinder thinking how much better the ML would have been.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:49 PM

2014 E350, 2008 C300 Sport
I'll have to agree with Harry on that. I was speaking from the single perspective. At the same time... just don't settle unless you have a good reason to. If you're going to spend a good chunk of money on a car, be sure you won't regret it the next morning. That's my main point. Find the balance between the wife's input and your wants. And be sure to take the wife and daughter on a test ride when you do get the ML for the day. Looks is one thing... feel and comfort is another. Heck, take the wife/daughter to the Nissan dealership in the ML 500 and test drive the nissan. You'll get a clear answer after driving both back to back. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml430
Can't disagree that keeping the wife happy is important. Fortunately, my wife liked the ML, so much in fact that shortly after I got one she was driving it and we ended up with one for her. We looked at the Nissan but it is not the same. Also for space I think the ML will give you more. Try the BMW for space - pretty small. Also check insurance (translate safety especially with kids). I went from a 97 CRV to a 99 ml430 and stayed about the same. My wife went from a 97 Suburban to an 01 ml320 and the insurance went down a good bit. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2002, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
mls r badd

get the ml

forget the wife

u can always replace the wife lol
Old 05-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want room? rule out the X5 for luggage.
Now - you seem to contradict yourself. Neither pathfinder nor x5 have 3rd row of seats - SO the ML500 is the largest for luggage now once you remove the 3rd row which you obviously do not need.

I love mine. Excellent for cruising - nothing beats a Benz on the freeway - 80mph is the norm.

guy
Old 05-08-2002, 09:56 PM

ML
Thanks Sungulent. The wife stays, no matter what. Send me pics of your ML. I love to see what it looks like on 20 inchers. Have you had quality problems with your ML? It seems like they have had several quality issues with the Ml's since day one. Thanks anyway.

Guy, you're right - the ML does have more storage space than the X5. The Pathfinder is in the running because I currently have a 95 that's been problem free and I constantly read about ML quality problems. Even the techs say they have most repair problems with the ML's. What gives??