M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Tornado Air, snake oil or not?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 350
Question Tornado Air, snake oil or not?!

I have read about the Tornado Air device I got mixed reviews on it . Will I see any difference on my 2000 ML430? I saw on a previous post someone was using it and noticed a change anyone else using it?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
Its total BS - don't waste your money.

If you want a power boost on an N/A engine for little $ go with the evosport UD pullies
Old 08-17-2004, 01:22 PM

Snake oil. Check this month's Consumer Reports.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 PM

2007 ML 350
Some people swear by it...

But i will go the consumer reports opinion, thanks jwalther.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Almost a Member!

being that my neighbor is the owner for Tornado, he has told me repeatedly that it has been dynoed and tested for mileage. Time after time he claims it really does work and knows there are people out there that don't believe it. Anyhow, at least he appears to be a believer himself.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:22 AM

2007 ML 350
At $60 a pop I would figure it would work

Gshock being that he's your neighbor have your tried the device? Does your neighbor use it himself?
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
dont listen to people who have never actually used it, ive installed it on 2 cars, a 97 C230 and a 02 ML320, each time i got an increase in gas mileage, and no, it wasnt cuz i drove easier on it. the C230 before tornado got 28mpg, after tornado, i got 32-33mpg. 02 ml320, before tornado, it was 14mpg in town, and 17 on highway, after tornado, i got 17mpg in town, and 21mpg on highway, i know this cuz i did the accurate, fill a tank of gas and write down the miles i did on it as the tank was empty.

now tornado isnt much of a horse power increasing thing to say the least, its mainly for gas mileage, i totally recommend it if you get poor **** MPG, any increase will help. now it did help a bit on the C class as appose horse power, atleast in rpm's.... i could never get it over 5700rpm when i floored it, after installation, it went to 6600rpm, well into red line territory after tornado.

dont listen to people's opinions who have no experince and dont know how to calculate things, listen to ones who have actually had experince with the product and testing.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, given EPA standards and the constant pursuit of better fuel economy, IF this actually works, why aren't the manufacturers using it?
IF it installs like I THINK it does, its possible to upset the airflow through the mass airflow sensor enough that it simply leans out the mixture.
Any one elses thoughts are welcomed.... I would love to hear from an engineer or something!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
garbage.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:37 AM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
First of all, given EPA standards and the constant pursuit of better fuel economy, IF this actually works, why aren't the manufacturers using it?
IF it installs like I THINK it does, its possible to upset the airflow through the mass airflow sensor enough that it simply leans out the mixture.
Any one elses thoughts are welcomed.... I would love to hear from an engineer or something!
same goes for K&N air filters, since their so good, how come the car manufacturers install them on all the cars?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Almost a Member!

i know the tornado installs after the MAF so i don't think it would affect maf readings. No I haven't tried it but I know he uses it in his cars (BMW Station wagon and X5). He said I can have one as long as I truely monitor my mileage. Maybe I will give it a shot.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:23 AM

2007 ML 350
Exclamation Gshock, can you try one and gives feedback?

I will also go buy one and will monitor my consumption carefully. I want to get to the bottom of this feud . I read the Consumer Reports article but they did not give any techincal data on their test.
So i will get one today and post the results here.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:01 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally Posted by MadDawg
same goes for K&N air filters, since their so good, how come the car manufacturers install them on all the cars?
Because K&N filters are snake oil as well.

But there is an ample market of suckers waiting to "feel" an alleged 2 hp increase in a 4,000 lb truck.

It's hilarious, but sad at the same time.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:44 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Originally Posted by Some Pete Guy
Because K&N filters are snake oil as well.

But there is an ample market of suckers waiting to "feel" an alleged 2 hp increase in a 4,000 lb truck.

It's hilarious, but sad at the same time.
actually, i dont know if you noticed, we're all talking about gas mileage, not horsepower :P cold air intakes/short ram do more for hp than gas mileage to say the least, but the point still stands...... inless you have actually tested it yourself, you shouldnt be telling people its not worth it, yes, that xtra 2-10% can really come in handy, especially when you find out your rig gets 15mpg, all of a sudden after tornado, it gets like 17 or 18, and you're saving 100-160$ a year on gas. the tornado pays for itself.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=MadDawg]inless you have actually tested it yourself, you shouldnt be telling people its not worth it, QUOTE]
uh-oh, prepare for the wrath that is "some pete guy"... you in trouble. :v
Old 08-19-2004, 04:08 PM

2007 ML 350
Dammit, if you ahve not tried it dont say *****...

Like I said, dont knock it if you haven't tried it. If will be getting mine soon and if it works great if not i'll send it back.
this way I know what to tell people when asked.
BTW: a coworker has them on both of his cars and he says that he noticed a difference of 1 to 2 miles per gallon.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:13 PM

'82 turbo yugo
actually, i dont know if you noticed, we're all talking about gas mileage, not horsepower :P cold air intakes/short ram do more for hp than gas mileage to say the least, but the point still stands......
Yes, the point stands that there are numerous idiots who desperately want to believe that adding some snakeoil to their car will make it better, faster, get better mileage, etc. etc.

As W.C. Fields said, "there's one born every miunte."

Here's a question that you should ponder:

With the intense pressure that CAFE standards have placed on car manufacturers to increase gas mileage on new cars, why would all of those super-duper smart engineers ingore something as simple as a plastic swirly thingy if it added even a paltry 1% increase in gas mileage?

p.s. http://www.beretta.net/fast_lane/dyn...vs_tornado.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/produ...afpr052002.htm
http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/.../20b90747.html

p.p.s. There is a whole bunch of additional info about this flavor of snake oil if you can somehow figure out how to use this thing called "google."
Old 08-19-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Anything that will restrict airflow will affect the mass air sensor reading. Less air equals less fuel. Putting an object in the intake airstream will affect the airflow and likely reduce it somewhat. Cause and effect.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:28 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz ML320
Originally Posted by Some Pete Guy
Yes, the point stands that there are numerous idiots who desperately want to believe that adding some snakeoil to their car will make it better, faster, get better mileage, etc. etc.

As W.C. Fields said, "there's one born every miunte."

Here's a question that you should ponder:

With the intense pressure that CAFE standards have placed on car manufacturers to increase gas mileage on new cars, why would all of those super-duper smart engineers ingore something as simple as a plastic swirly thingy if it added even a paltry 1% increase in gas mileage?

p.s. http://www.beretta.net/fast_lane/dyn...vs_tornado.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/produ...afpr052002.htm
http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/.../20b90747.html

p.p.s. There is a whole bunch of additional info about this flavor of snake oil if you can somehow figure out how to use this thing called "google."
wow, you are utterly pathetic.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:51 PM

'82 turbo yugo
wow, you are utterly pathetic.
So facts, as opposed to ricer fiction, are "utterly pathetic"?

Interesting perspective.

p.s. How are you doing on that question that I posed?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:03 PM

2007 ML 350
Some Pete guy U need to chill...

If you have not tried it dont say *****. If your comments are from here say. Shut it!
Old 08-19-2004, 11:16 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally Posted by skyfreedom
If you have not tried it dont say *****.
If my comments bother you then ignore my posts. You'll feel better about yourself.

You don't make up the rules child so drop the wannabe moderator act. It just makes you look like even more of a fool.

Originally Posted by skyfreedom
If your comments are from here say.
Sorry, you'll need to translate that into english for me.

I'll continue to comment on snakeoil since the facts are out there...if people are willing to get past the placebo effect and inane marketing claims.

To understand these silly products all it takes is a bit of common sense and a willingness to question assumptions.

It's simple.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i told you Pete was coming.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:57 AM

2007 ML 350
Question Some Pete guy U need to chill...

Just tell me...Have you tried it?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Red face I don't want to throw more fuel on the fire...BUT

actually, i dont know if you noticed, we're all talking about gas mileage, not horsepower :P cold air intakes/short ram do more for hp than gas mileage to say the least, but the point still stands...... inless you have actually tested it yourself, you shouldnt be telling people its not worth it, yes, that xtra 2-10% can really come in handy, especially when you find out your rig gets 15mpg, all of a sudden after tornado, it gets like 17 or 18, and you're saving 100-160$ a year on gas. the tornado pays for itself.
Is the MPG increase you are experiencing quoted by the car or true actual results by manual calculations{I assume it is the same but I'm just asking the question}...i.e. miles from trip computer or odometer divided by gallons purchased at your next fill up? Not to say that the car is calculating incorrectly or being fooled by the tornado and I'm not saying you are lying. I have no reason to doubt you as I don't know you. If the product intends to increase MPG and does, then GREAT! Theoretically they would not be in business this long if their product did not work...or at least they are because it fools people into thinking it works...I can see the point of the doubters...why don't auto manufacturers employ similar or the exact same product in their vehicles? There must be a reason and I don't know what it is...I tried the tornado on my last truck ['02 Xterra S/C]. I did not get any improved results. I installed it myself and maybe I installed it incorrectly?! I have witnessed this same thread on many other forum boards. Each have these same arguments and the story is never resolved. Then again if everyone agrees it works whether it does or not means everybody will say it works and believe it. If it's not a trick or snake oil [and we all know that adding an ///AMG badge to your MB will make it faster! ;-)] then I wish the owner much success and maybe he can add more BMWs to his driveway in the future. Long live capitalism!

I do agree if you have never tried a product you really can't say if it works or not. You can learn from others that have used it and say it does or doesn't work for their particular application...but if you have no experience with it...Well, it's hard to just accept the opinion that it does not work as fact from someone with no basis. Flame suit on ready to get burned...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tornado Air, snake oil or not?!