M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Engine detailing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 04:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ML500
Originally Posted by chassis
Money usually solves things like this.
You are not kidding, but new ones are not on my list quite yet, as still got the option of getting second hand ones thanks to previous poster from your side of the pond.
I think I will be okay on the second-hand side.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-28-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 03:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 Cl500
Originally Posted by silver ml500
You are not kidding, but new ones are not on my list quite yet, as still got the option of getting second hand ones thanks to previous poster from your side of the pond.
I think I will be okay on the second-hand side.
I’m going to yard this week to pull intake..... they have four m113s to pick from!!! Ill look and see about pulling you a set while I’m there mate!! Best to you

Chris
silver ml500 (03-30-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 09:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ML500
I will as soon as I have another set of covers go back through the process of polishing them, and getting to the rest of the engine.
I intend getting rid of the beautification panel right across the engine that hides the actual engine from view.

On another note.
I am also replacing the entire ignition system and injectors.
New coils and leads.
Have I messed up with the new spark-plugs I have bought, as they are not a match for what i have taken out of the engine?

I removed, as the photo here shows, a
"BOSCH F80PER" Bosch Platin R1 283
The replacements I have are
"BOSCH FR8DPP33+" Double platinum R6

I am hoping the the double Platinum is just a newer version to the single Platinum and nothing else, like they cannot run because of different heats or temperatures. I thought i would have put in my engine details, but now I am not so sure, as in have I bought the wrong spark-plugs.

I suspect they should be fine, but in case someone knows something on this, let me know.
I am a few days off actually turning the key.

Old and new plugs are different model numbers

Both gaps are identical, but different types it seems

Old 04-03-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 Cl500
Originally Posted by silver ml500
I will as soon as I have another set of covers go back through the process of polishing them, and getting to the rest of the engine.
I intend getting rid of the beautification panel right across the engine that hides the actual engine from view.

On another note.
I am also replacing the entire ignition system and injectors.
New coils and leads.
Have I messed up with the new spark-plugs I have bought, as they are not a match for what i have taken out of the engine?

I removed, as the photo here shows, a
"BOSCH F80PER" Bosch Platin R1 283
The replacements I have are
"BOSCH FR8DPP33+" Double platinum R6

I am hoping the the double Platinum is just a newer version to the single Platinum and nothing else, like they cannot run because of different heats or temperatures. I thought i would have put in my engine details, but now I am not so sure, as in have I bought the wrong spark-plugs.

I suspect they should be fine, but in case someone knows something on this, let me know.
I am a few days off actually turning the key.

Old and new plugs are different model numbers

Both gaps are identical, but different types it seems
NGK 2647 PFR5G-11 factory plugs
Old 04-04-2021, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 441 Likes on 364 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Mercedes used both Bosch and NGK spark plugs in the M112 & M113 engines as original equipment. Your spark plug choice should be fine.
On current Bosch spark plugs, the "8" in position 2 or 3 is the heat range. The "R" in position 3 means that a resistor to suppress ignition RF is added. FR8DPP33+ is not the OEM plug, but should be a suitable replacement. It is Dual Platinum with a fine wire electrode. These went 150,000km in my engines.
ChrisVannoy (04-04-2021)