M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ml 400 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML400
Angry Ml 400 CDI

Hello,
can somebody tell me where I can find some information about maintenance manual for ML400 V8, CDI, even paid.

I just started to replace the air conditioning compressor, found as well the cooling radiator with defects, lots of oil everywhere, thinking also to replace the distribution chain.

Without wanting I found myself almost in complete rebuild of the engine.

Any info or direction where I can find infos it is welcome.

I will post pictures tomorrow, today my hands were very dirty to be able to take the phone.

Ben
Old 12-21-2020, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Have a search thru =1&c[nodes][0]=35&o=relevance] hereto see if any resources are available.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:54 AM

ML400
Hi khomer2,
for the last week I read every evening and I try to find information on ML400 CDI but I didnt found nothing.
Because I dont have any info about MB I am not sure if there are similarities between models.

Ben
Old 12-22-2020, 03:41 AM

ML400
Pics

Old 12-22-2020, 04:01 AM

ML400
Pics

HI ,
here are some pictures.
Yesterday I started to take down everything and found lots of surprises, the ML I bought for 1400 Eu so I took this action in my calculation I was just not sure for the budget and I am still not sure .
Cooler for airconditioning it is broken.
Oil, oil, oil everywhere, yesterday half day I was cleaning only oil, mixt with dust and dry, I was removing it with a screwdriver and then with some old diesel I had in stock for washing.

The part marked with red was the most dirty, I will have to check the oil cooler or something there it is leaking, on the back side there is oil also, but I cant take pics from there.

Today I plan to washed properly with hot water and pressure, if I will have time I will install the compressor, install just minium parts to let it run and see from where it come the oil.

After that I can asses the next steps, but for sure I want to repair everything until it is not to late.

The engine when starting cold make 3-4 metal clicks, I am not sure from where it is comming but as I can see the general state of the engine I asumme the timing chain will be needed as well.

I will come back late today after I do some work.
If you know some information step by step about timing chain change please let me know.
Tomorrow or even today if I will have time I will take down the oil pan, I saw a video on youtube and the pan had plastic from chain tensioner and metal, after they open the engine the chain was berely holding, the tooth on the wheels were almost gone, the plastik 50% gone as well.
If I find some metal parts in the oil pan that means engine will be taken down .

Old 12-22-2020, 04:03 AM

ML400

This is coolant from the cooling system, looks little rusty.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:07 PM

ML400
End of the day

I am done for today,
I dont have good light, the day it is short now and it is dark.

I manage to clean everything, with high pressure hot water then with accetone, I pass also an metal paint resistent to 800 ´C or 1470 Farenheit.
I saw a video on youtube and the guy mention that the sealing on theoil cooler leaks, quite comun issue.

The owner sold this car because the belt broke, it broke because the air compressor blocked completely.
I have to remove all that burn robber from all wheels.
One it is from plastic and I will repace it tomorrow, for this reason I have to stop today.

Radiators had lots of dirt between them, even sand with grass.
Take care guys, if you look from outside looks perfectly clean, if you take them away one from each other you will find surprises.

The biggest part of dirt felt down directly when I took them a part

The compressor it is mounted.
The owner told me that this is the second AC compressor, so I need to clean the completely system before I connect the compressor.
All the plugs are on the compressor

Tomorrow I start again as soon I have the parts

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited by Ben07; 12-22-2020 at 12:10 PM.