M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Update on my foglight installation:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update on my foglight installation:

so i finally received the lights last week...so I just needed to make the mounting brackets. I used some metal braces that i found at Home Depot, then drilled the necessary holes. The wiring was in place from my previous set of lights, but the connectors, or lack thereof with these new lights, were different, so I had to cut up all the wiring, etc...

anyways, i was finally ready to install the lights today......one of the bolts went in fine on the top hole in the brush guard...the other one wasn't so simple. It was a bit more difficult to turn the bolt........and basically teh bolt got stuck and snapped off in the hole. So now I need to figure out what I should do, b/c I obviously can't mount the lights w/o a decent amt of work. I guess the options are:
1. drill out the bolt then re-tap the hole for a new bolt...
2. mount the lights where my previous lights were..on the bottom part of the brush guard, but i would need to take apart some stuff to remove the mounting bracket for the old lights...

either way, this seems like it's gonna be a real PITA!! Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,178 Likes on 847 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Foglight mounting.

What lights, what guard? I would probably suggest getting a screw extractor, if you don't have one, drilling and backing out the broken bolt. Then re-tap.

I instaled my Hellas using the rear-facing tapped holes in my brushguard with no problems. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's the early OEM brush guard. I used to have lights similar to the ones on your truck that were mounted in the same position(except the holes are on the top of that horizontal bar), but one lens cracked and i wanted smaller lights anyways..so i got some optilux fogs. The plan was to install them in the top(rear-facing) mounting holes on the brushguard, but obviously that plan is now on hold. I will probably do what you suggested, but I don't know when I'll have the time to actually do it. The plan would've worked out fine if the mounting holes were not old and a bit rusty i think :-/