M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Dumb new owner question Sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
Dumb new owner question Sunroof

Old 09-07-2004, 04:44 PM

Oops, to fast on the enter key.
My question about the sunroof: Can it somehow be programed for "one touch" closing? As my wife's 05 ML500 works now, you have to hold the button forward until the roof finishes closing. Both her past SUV's (Jeep GC's) and my 03 X5 allow you to fully close the sunroof glass with one short momentary push of the control button.
No, I have not tryed to RTFM on this subject as yet, I was hoping one of you kind folks could clue me in of if this is MB normal.
David
Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As asked the dealer this very same question since I find it STUPID that it can't go fwd with one-touch like our other German cars (P-Car, BMW). I was told no. Maybe somebody on the board knows of a way to program this through some hack?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope no hacks. There is no control module, no extra position on the switch, no hall sensor in the motor. It was never designed to accomodate this feature. Think like the germans did when it was being designed: Its a TRUCK, what do they need this (insert fancy gadget here) for?
It has a hard plastic interior, its a truck. Etc.......
Then after a couple years of feedback, they realized we aren't slogging through the mud and carrying bales of hay in these things, so they made them a little nicer as the years progressed. Thats why the next ML will likely be much less capable, and more carlike. Isn't the body on frame construction going away?? I would like a bit of toughness to back up the image. It isn't enough to appear to be able to climb that obstacle, its got to be able to DO it!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:00 PM

1999 ML430
When that rubber sunroof seal breaks and drops in through the roof, just toss it. Wind noise increases slightly but the roof doesn't leak.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:58 PM

I am sure it is designed that way, because it does not have a presure stop like the windows. If you put your hand in the door window when it is closeing on auto up it will kick back, if you try it on the sunroof you are likely to loose some fingers, thats why no auto forward. Gmallory if you are ever in a very hard rain you will wise you left that seal on, their is no way the four drain channels can handle that much water. Autogunner.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was "normal", but wished that it was not. Oh well, not that big of a deal I guess.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Originally Posted by autogunner
I am sure it is designed that way, because it does not have a presure stop like the windows. If you put your hand in the door window when it is closeing on auto up it will kick back, if you try it on the sunroof you are likely to loose some fingers, thats why no auto forward. Gmallory if you are ever in a very hard rain you will wise you left that seal on, their is no way the four drain channels can handle that much water. Autogunner.
You know, the window "pressure stop" feature you speak of doesn't always work. If you lay your arm on the part of the window which is horizontal it works--the window stops and retracts. But, if you lay your hand towards the front of the window (which slants downward at an angle) the window does not stop and will most certainly chop some fingers to bits! Go ahead and try it, but don't say I didn't warn ya...