M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

how do we change stock speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how do we change stock speakers

ok, ive got a ml320 and i was hoping to change stock speakers, i got 2 pairs of pioneer 140 watt 6 inch speakers that are waiting to be put in.
The problem is that i cant get to the screws, the speakers have some sort of cover on it, not the plastic one, i got past that one but there is a black material cover over it. do i have to take off the door panel, and if so how do i do this.
Also if i exchange the speakers will my warranty to the car become void in any way?
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Maxim (ml4u2nv)
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Remove door panel. Warranty is fine as long as something doesnt happen that is speaker related.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Warranty will simply no longer cover issues related to your speakers. You can just about forget complaints about static, unusual noises from speakers etc.... Possibly void warranty on MCS or amplifier too. Its possible to use a speaker of lower OHM rating and blow an amp to smithereens. They wouldn't cover that. But otherwise don't worry, even if you have bose I doubt you could do worse than stock speakers! I forget off hand how to remove the speakers.... You may need a mounting cup to install the new ones with.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 PM

thanks guys for the info on the warranty, but if its maybe possible if someone can tell me how to take off the door panel so i can get to the speakers.
Your help would be appreciated.
If anyone who has msn and has done this speaker exchange can you please add me to your msn, icymax69@hotmail.com
Thanks
Maxim
Old 09-16-2004, 02:43 PM

Front doors, take off the triangle shaped cover that holds the tweeter speaker by pulling on it at the top, and unplug that speaker, next pop out the SRS tab at the rear of the door dont take it all the way out just let it hang down and take out the phillips screw under it, next pop off the grab handle cover, try it by prying at the top with a simmy sharp plastic tool such as a plastic screw driver, now you are only removeing the cover NOT the hole handle, and take out the two phillips screws under it. Now start at the front under the opening where the tweeter came off and pull out on the panel working your way around to the rear, you will have to use a little force sometimes. After you get the panel off unplug the light at the bottom of the door then unhook the handle cable then unplug the button lock by slideing down the secondary lock and then squezing the side ears together and slide the cable down to get it loose. Now you are ready to replace your speaker. Make sure when you go back together that you use the long screws for the speaker and tighten it good, and be sure to remove any door clips and put them on the panel before you reinstall it. Leave the base part of the door clip in the door itself, do not remove it. Do the back door the same way but you wont have the triangle cover and the back door will be the only one that has the lock button cable you will have to release that I told you about earlier, not the front door. Hope this helps more than confuseing you. Autogunner.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:42 PM

it helps, thanx heaps, now its just a matter of printing this off and going down to the car and doing it, joy... lol thanx