M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Trans Fluid Type on a ML350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2004 | 01:22 PM

School bus
Trans Fluid Type on a ML350?

Anyone knows what kind of fluid it has in there?
Will the Mobil 1 syntetic AT fluid work?
Old 09-23-2004 | 05:51 PM

Mercedes benz fluid for the 722.6 transmission. I know of nothing else that meets their requirements. There is no dipstick for the transmission either, it can only be checked with a "shop dipstick". I forget how much they cost... there should be no reason to ever check it unless its leaking. Its also filled for life and should never require service, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to service it anyway at some point. The fluid is expensive, so keep that in mind. About 4 or 5 quarts oughtta do her for a filter change, count on 7 or 8 if you drain the torque converter.
Old 09-23-2004 | 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Mercedes benz fluid for the 722.6 transmission. I know of nothing else that meets their requirements. There is no dipstick for the transmission either, it can only be checked with a "shop dipstick". I forget how much they cost... there should be no reason to ever check it unless its leaking. Its also filled for life and should never require service, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to service it anyway at some point. The fluid is expensive, so keep that in mind. About 4 or 5 quarts oughtta do her for a filter change, count on 7 or 8 if you drain the torque converter.
at my independent MB dealer that we get our cars serviced at (aside from the w220 'cuz MB doesn't reimburst them for warranty work) I asked about the ML trans fluid change...they quoted me $200-$250 for the job (parts and labor). We're thinking about doing it at the next oil change (about 70k miles). The tranny still shifts smoothly as day one...
Old 09-24-2004 | 03:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by GDawgC220
at my independent MB dealer that we get our cars serviced at (aside from the w220 'cuz MB doesn't reimburst them for warranty work) I asked about the ML trans fluid change...they quoted me $200-$250 for the job (parts and labor). We're thinking about doing it at the next oil change (about 70k miles). The tranny still shifts smoothly as day one...
that is the same quote i got from my inde shop as well. Seems the dealer wants $350-400.
Old 09-27-2004 | 08:37 PM

90' Porsche 964 Cabrio
Trans service

I purchased the filter, seal and "workshop tool"(dipstick) from the benzbin. Replaced all 9 quarts of fluid with amsoil synthetic ATF fluid, works great and has for the last 4,000 mi. check the forum for the step by step reprint from the star. It shows how to replace all the fluids diffs, transaxel and auto tranny. takes about 2 hours to do it all. Was not difficult at all. the hardest part was turning the engine to get to the torque converter drain plug. I used a male air hose fitting and cut off the nipple part (its hex dia. is pretty darn close to the hex on the crankshaft), stuck it in a socket wrench and wa-la!

--Eric
Old 09-28-2004 | 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by GDawgC220
hey gdawg....mind sharing the location of that dealer with me buddy? id like to do a transmission fluid change myself and that price isnt bad at all...