M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Little Problems with ML320 2001 Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Problems with ML320 2001 Help

Bought a ML320 recently.2001..30,000 miles
Couple Questions.
1.Oilchange When to do it ., is it a charge or is it covered under warranty?
2.Cannot Program garage Door Opener on that think I have to try Rolling codes
3.Rear Wiper Fluid doesnt work. Only the Rear Wipers work ., thought was out of Fluid but the front wipers get fluid. So I am under the Impression that they both use the same fluid tank.
4.Wanted to Install a CD changer but dont know whether there is any wire already., where should I look and what kind of CD changer will fit ML320 2001?

Thanks In Advance
Old 10-20-2004, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
01+ models I believe service is included (on our '01 S it is).

Inside the manual, it describes on how to program it (even with rolling codes)

The front and rear wipers do share the same fluid tank. Either it's clogged or the line has become loose and disconnected. Could also be the nozzle on the wiper itself in the rear.

There are FM modulated CD-Changers, where it feeds the signal through a rare and unused radio station (such as 88.3, 88.6, etc) so that it doesn't have to be compatible with the stock headunit...but it will have an additional display screen that will have to be mounted somewhere up front so that you can change the tracks, fast forward, etc. You could go OEM as the headunits are pre-wired I believe to take OEM changers...they're about $600 from the dealer I think. That way, it's integrated with the stock unit and u can control it from there versus an additional piece of hardware.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 AM

Thank you very much.
Also I See a Single Wrench sign with 5500 next to it. In the Manual it say that is indication for a A Service but usually it is when 2000 miles. ??
Old 10-20-2004, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
The single wrench (Service A) is minor, which is a "glorified" oil change...meaning oil change, check out fluids, etc.

The double wrench is Service B, major, which includes stuff from Service A and more (check out joints, seals, etc)

When it reaches within a 1200 miles due for service, it should flash the wrench and the amount of miles each time you start the car up, reminding you it's time to make an appointment for service.

I'm assuming that your pushing the button in the instrument cluster to bring up the wrench. If not, does it have a - (minus) sign next to the 5500?
Old 10-20-2004, 11:16 AM

My ML430 (MY2000) had service included during the 4/50 warranty period. I got both A and B services done gratis.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:27 AM

Did not check the Minus sign.. will check it..
So I should take it to the dealer after it starts flashing ? for A service which is OilChange? I dont think the Dealer does it for Free here in Virginia. Anyways will know in say 2 months :-)

Thanx
Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 AM

It is not a "state" service, it is a MB service that comes with the MY2000+ ML's. Most dealerships will not do the service till your flashing wrench is inside of 1K miles. If it has a minus next to it then get it in immediately. If it does not have a minus then it is just telling you how many miles (approx) till your next service is due (neg means you went all the way to zero miles left till next service and are now on "borrowed time").
Old 10-20-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Most likely your auxillary fan fuse is blown, which also controls the rear washer fluid pump, if I remember correctly. You will need to have an updated wiring harness installed under warranty, they will install a 40 amp fuse and heavier wiring to the fans.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:52 AM

Rear wiper not working. Could be stoped up sprayer tip, or most common the hose is pinched somewhere from the bottle to the back glass. It runs off the bottle down the left side of the eng. compartment inside the firewall goes right to the right A pillar turns right runs under the front and rear right entrance trims up the C pillar though two strap downs then it turns and goes up before the C/D opening goes through two strip ties then turns right when it gets to the roof runs back to the Liftgate opening and runs through the right wireing harness cover then down the inside of the liftgate down the right side turns under the glass then comes out of the body makes a loop and plugs into the rear wiper assy. Most of the time the pull sraps or the strip ties get to tight in the C pillar area the hose runs with a wireing harness and if it gets in the wrong position " on top" it will be pinched. If the clip breaks at the top where it comes out of the body and goes into the liftgate it will get pinched and it also could get pinched at the A pillar bellow the RSE2 "fusebox" or under the 1R entrance trim. The first thing to check is have someone help you have them push the button and you take the C/D compartment door off of the C pillar trim and reach in and grab the rear washer hose, pinch it and see if you have any pressure on it when they try to spray it, if you dont your problem is before that point if you do have pressure there then your problem is after that point towards the liftgate.You will just have to follew the hose untill you find the pinched area. It runs off the rear pump coming out of the fluid bottle. Always check first to make sure the pump is running when your friend pushes the button to rule it out. Hope all this helps. Autogunner.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:43 AM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Rear wiper, garage door opener, CD changer...

Agree with saturnstyle - probably your aux fan fuse. I had replaced mine a couple of times before the dealer upgraded the wiring under warranty.

If you can hear the pump when you hit the rear sprayer switch, it is probably something else - of you hear nothing, its probably the fuse (#44 on our ML430, IIRC).

Some people have reported just replacing the 30A with a 40A fuse, but it would probably be better to have the wiring harness replaced if you can have it done under warranty.

If you have a rolling code - check your manual. On ours, I do the following:
1) press L&R buttons in car for 30 sec to clear all codes
2) press remote button & car button until light flashes
3) press car button and "train" button on garage door opener, to let the opener know to trust the car .

CD changer is in the trunc - right access panel. You should see the orange fiber optic cables. I believe they're pre-wired. OEM changer would give you the best integration with the MCS.

Welcome, & enjoy your truck!

Last edited by kokketiel; 10-22-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:07 PM

Talking Thanks all

I really Appreciate all your Help.
Thanks a Lot.
Can anybody give me a Ballpark Price for
OilChange
A Service
B Service
CD changer ??

Thanks again.. You guys are wonderful and Helpful
Old 10-22-2004, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by ml320_2001
I really Appreciate all your Help.
Thanks a Lot.
Can anybody give me a Ballpark Price for
OilChange
A Service
B Service
CD changer ??

Thanks again.. You guys are wonderful and Helpful
A Service & B Service include oil changes, so I'll just list the prices for the services.

A Service is the Minor service...usually around $100 (oil change and check out fluids, etc).

B Service is the Major service...usually ranging from $200-$300 for just the service. They also check over brakes, joints, seals, etc, so if there is anything else to be done that is urgent, add that to the base price of the service.

You should have the warranty covering your services, so use that to it's advantage and get what you can out of the warranty until it expires.

CD Changer you can get from the dealer or even on ebay...dealer is $645 i believe and ebay you can usually get for cheaper than that.

You can go to a regular garage for an oil change but they must use synthetic, which is more expensive than regular conventional oil and may be around $80 or so, which is almost the same as the dealer. If you have a trusted MB independent dealer/service, go with them once it's out of warranty. If not, personally I would go to the dealer, pay a little extra but get the piece of mind IMO.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Thanks Neat Appreciate it... Because it is free I guess the dealer will not do anything unless the service is really due like say the Wrench sign is below 1000 miles or so. If it not harmful then would not mind to wait until it comes down to a 1000 miles mark or so. Anyways have to take mine to dealer for minor things .. like the Inside Bulb for the Trunk area is fused\SRS sign light stay on \rear washer fluid doesnt work etc.,.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
no prob.

yes, most dealers will not do the service noted in the instrument cluster unless it starts to flash when you start her up. So at the first sign it flashes at you, give the dealer a call to make an appointment and say that the wrench is showing time for service.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:19 PM

If you buy the cd changer from benz, it will be covered under warranty. It will also be new. You don't know what your getting off of ebay, and I strongly suspect many of the air mass sensors, cd changers, radios, PSE's and other stuff is used junk that might half *** work, and certainly has no warranty on it. Caveat Emptor on Ebay.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:25 PM

Not sure I will agree with GDawg on the $100 A service aka oil change. The parts alone at the dealer will run you about $20 ($18.50 list) for the filter and approx $8/qt for 9 qts which already takes you to $100. You really need to do the oil yourself if you like to DIY simple things or for nothing better than saving some cash. YOu can get the oil fitler from a discount parts seller (MB or OEM..Mann) for about $10-15 and then get the oil for As cheap as $5/qt (get the Mobil1 0W-40 syn). Then you can do the oil change youself for about $60. FYI....my dealer charges over $200 for the oil change!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by LVDell
Not sure I will agree with GDawg on the $100 A service aka oil change. The parts alone at the dealer will run you about $20 ($18.50 list) for the filter and approx $8/qt for 9 qts which already takes you to $100. You really need to do the oil yourself if you like to DIY simple things or for nothing better than saving some cash. YOu can get the oil fitler from a discount parts seller (MB or OEM..Mann) for about $10-15 and then get the oil for As cheap as $5/qt (get the Mobil1 0W-40 syn). Then you can do the oil change youself for about $60. FYI....my dealer charges over $200 for the oil change!
ohh yeah, I get mine done at my independent MB dealer (their labor rates for things like oil changes are $65/hour versus the $95 / hour for repairs). Dealer labor rates are about $95-$100 / hour now, so average about $150 for service A (when it was done at our authorized MB dealership)
Old 10-22-2004, 10:12 PM

I dont want to scare you but you said you bought the car used. You say the cargo light is fused, the rear washer does not work and most important the SRS light stays on. I wonder if your car was hit in the rear in an accedent? Just a thought, with most problems in that area. Autogunner.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:32 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Originally Posted by autogunner
I dont want to scare you but you said you bought the car used. You say the cargo light is fused, the rear washer does not work and most important the SRS light stays on. I wonder if your car was hit in the rear in an accedent? Just a thought, with most problems in that area. Autogunner.
All those are fairly common (and easy to fix) problems on the ML - don't go scaring the new guy unecessarily .

SRS light is something I would have looked at sooner rather than later. It's probably a bad connection or occupancy sensor, but it may prevent your air bags from deploying when they should. We had a problem with ours, and it turned out to be some sensor in the passenger seat.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Thank you all
Surprise Surprise... The Cargo Light Switch on all by itself Last Night when I was unloading Groceries.. What is the Deal with it ...
The SRS light stays sometimes and doesnt some times .
The Mileage is a Big Surprise for me I am getting aroung 13 miles a gallon :-( ...I thought it should be around 16 -17 city ....Jesus I need to get a Hybrid if this is the case.
Spoke to the Dealer and he said they will check everything for me as it is under warranty.. Also said they will charge me $15 per day Loaner if I needed one.
Also Said the Bulbs are not covered under warranty :-(

CD changer ::::: is $845 [With Mounting Brackets]+ Labour Extra.....Dont know whether to go for it or not :-(............
Old 10-28-2004, 01:28 PM

Took it to the Dealer. Says the Name Tag Screws are not Covered under warranty but would not give me a Price on them Said let me check with the Shop.
Said needed 100 for Aligning the Tires :-(

Will wait for his call and see
Old 10-28-2004, 01:38 PM

I get different answers from Different Service People.. yesterday they said they wont cover the cargo light and this morning they say all the bulbs are covered until 50k or 4yrs :-)
Old 10-29-2004, 07:59 AM

I got c-240 Loaner from the dealer but dont know what is C/S mode near the gear .
I think S stands for Standard and event he Service Rep doesnt know what MOde I should drive. I think I drove in C mode for most of the time. Somehow I think that drop the Gas Mileage from S. Anyone ??Ideas ?
Thanx
Old 10-29-2004, 06:32 PM

Old style switch was S/W. New style is S/C. Both do exactly the same thing, standard mode is standard... Trans works like a regular 5 speed auto, adaptive shifts and all. W or C mode, do the same thing. Second gear start, unless 80% or better throttle. No adaptive strategy to hold shifts longer under aggressive drivers etc... Also uses a different reverse gear ratio in that mode. Was originally designed for Winter driving on snow... 2nd gear start and different reverse ratio reduced torque to rear wheels for better grip. Now they call it Comfort mode, I guess cause thats what all the other manufacturers do....
ML's and G's do not have a W/S switch or a C/S switch, because they offer superior traction and do not require a second gear start or different reverse ratio... We got Low Range transfer cases!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:01 AM

One More thing recently noticed --
After switching off the Car I hear a fan like sound running for couple minutes. IS it NORMAL? Please help

Thanx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Little Problems with ML320 2001 Help