M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Driving Style?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School bus
Driving Style?

How does everyone drives your ML?
Drive it carefully and gently or Drive like you stole it?

I drive mine like I stole it!!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1999 ML430
baby it........occasionally I'll kick it and let it run up to redline in 2nd or 3rd just to hear that V8 music but I usually drive it like there's an egg under the pedal. Definately gets better gas mileage that way !!

BTW......My ML is one of the few that sees a fair amount of offroad use. If you've never taken your ML offroad, I highly recommend it. This is one area where the ML really shines. The north Georgia mountains and western North Carolina have hundreds of miles of USFS roads that are fantastic to drive on. Although you rarely need the low-end gearing, its great to use cause it slows you down so much..pretty much a creeper gear in 1st...also great for steep descents.

Someone recently commented they enjoyed running to redline thru the gears in low range. Wonder if he's had to replace his tranny yet !! Major bucks !!!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:15 AM

Drive it Carefully..
Old 10-29-2004, 01:50 PM

School bus
Originally Posted by springerfever
baby it........occasionally I'll kick it and let it run up to redline in 2nd or 3rd just to hear that V8 music but I usually drive it like there's an egg under the pedal. Definately gets better gas mileage that way !!

BTW......My ML is one of the few that sees a fair amount of offroad use. If you've never taken your ML offroad, I highly recommend it. This is one area where the ML really shines. The north Georgia mountains and western North Carolina have hundreds of miles of USFS roads that are fantastic to drive on. Although you rarely need the low-end gearing, its great to use cause it slows you down so much..pretty much a creeper gear in 1st...also great for steep descents.

Someone recently commented they enjoyed running to redline thru the gears in low range. Wonder if he's had to replace his tranny yet !! Major bucks !!!
Haven't really taken mine offroad but I love to! I drive mine hard but not in a abusive manner. Still up for any off-roading trips in the Bay area...
Old 10-29-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Up in Tahoe, I took it off road for just a little taste (it was 2 weeks new at the time) and it felt very stable. I felt really safe climbing down a relatively steep dirt/rock slope.

My wife drives it most of the other time and she's a nerdy slow driver. I like that. I try not to redline it.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:13 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Drive it like you want to keep it. These are nice trucks. I traded a Range Rover for my '03 ML350 and recently upgraded to an '05 ML350 Special Edition. I love the thing. The RR was awsome offroad but could not stay out of the shop and got single digit gas milage The special Edition has the running boards which make me cautious to go off road. I did not want to get the new 164 unibody ML (too Lexus-like for me). Baby it and enjoy!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive it like a stole it. Its a pleasure to hear that V8 at redline. Mercedes like to be driven hard, seems most of the customers that "baby" thier cars have the most problems. These vehicles are designed to run all day long on the autobahn, so a swift kick in the rear aint gonna hurt it a bit!