M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML430 Off Roading Fun! Lots of Pictures!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rare 79' Turbo Chevette
ML430 Off Roading Fun! Lots of Pictures!

I purchased this 99' ML430 last saturday. Took it off-roading sunday to test against my Dodge Ram and Grand Cherokee. Aside from a few questions I will post later about the traction control It did very well. The sand was very deep and wet. Similar to loose beach sand.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:08 PM

Rare 79' Turbo Chevette
Now for my questions. I was in low range the whole time and usually in the drive position with ESP on. I was told the traction control limits wheel speed difference to 1mph in low range. Is this correct? Should ESP be disabled while off roading? The manual is not very descript about it. I also noticed while climbing some of the big hills with the accelerator mashed it would hit a point where it seemed as though I let up although it was still to the floor. Is that normal? It would cause me to get stuck at the top very easy, as if I just let up on the throttle.

There were a few times it seemd the traction control wasnt biasing power to my traction wheels, although the dash light was telling me it was. Im new to these and have no idea how they should behave off road. The Hemi ram and my older 99 Ram were out climbing the ML as you can see from the photos. I know the tires and the fact that the bottom was always dragging were limiting factors.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
awsome pics there!

I believe low-range has a completely different sent of instructions for ABS and ESP and 4-ETS (the 4 wheel drive sys for the ML's). When you were at the top of that sand hill, if you were flooring it and all the wheels were just spinning, the computer should brake the spinning wheels and redirect to the wheels with grip/traction but since if all four were spinning, it may have confused the system and broke all four wheels, hence u just staying in place and not moving anymore. Did you try climbing it with low-range off and just in regular mode?

The ML can handle light/moderate off roading, I posted some links in a few posts back showing what the ML did in the rubicon trail and others. As long as you take it easy and know the limits of the truck, it'll be all good.

Also, I think that your dodge Ram's have a higher clearance than the ML? That's probably a big factor, as you said, in climbing those sand hills...where the RAM will clear it, the ML will bottom out and just can't climb it anymore.

Any more pictures?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430
I also noticed while climbing some of the big hills with the accelerator mashed it would hit a point where it seemed as though I let up although it was still to the floor. Is that normal? It would cause me to get stuck at the top very easy, as if I just let up on the throttle.
If i remember from past experience.. when the ML get bogged down like you decribed here... you are to turn the esp switch off. Better tires will also help
By the way great pics

Last edited by 00ML430 Bulldog; 10-31-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:13 AM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
this guy knows how to have a good time with his ML. By constrast, I still wipe off my tires when I step on the lawn!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Rare 79' Turbo Chevette
Thanks guys! I will see if there are more pictures. I forgot my camera that day and had to use my brothers. These are the ones he emailed to me the day after.
Im sure I will have more to post. Winter is coming and I cant wait to test it in the snow.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Nice pics dude!

Its funny to see a super shiney, clean ML in the dirt!! Almost makes me want to cry.
The ML is a beast in the snow. I love it!!
It has saved my butt many times last winter. It actually is a bad thing...I went out in a blizzard last year to see my girlfriend at college when I really shouldn't have been on the roads, but this SUV gives you extra courage in the snow. And that can be bad....right? Maybe? Nah!!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:22 AM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally Posted by Havok
Now for my questions. I was in low range the whole time and usually in the drive position with ESP on. I was told the traction control limits wheel speed difference to 1mph in low range. Is this correct? Should ESP be disabled while off roading?
ESP off in those kind of conditions (low range, loose soil, steep climb).

What you experienced was all four wheels spinning and ESP shutting down the throttle body.