M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

The list of stuff to watch out for on a 163

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Thanks for all of this, I just bought a 2002 ML320 today and took this along with me to check everything out.
2002 ml320 with warranty - $10500 (dublin / pleasanton / livermore)

Date: 2010-02-13, 9:44AM PST
Reply to: sale-4ctyj-1599228687@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Mileadge: 823xx. Auto Trans.
Ext color: Black Opal. Int Color: Ash Leather.
Dealer mtc care. Warranty til Aug 2010/94800mi.
Garaged All Time. Super Clean.
Clean Title.

Luxury Package incl'd:
8 way power front seats. Leather upholstery.
Sunroof, Roof Rack, Power rear qtr windows.
Bose sound sys w/6 cd changer.
Chrome step bumper, Rear cargo tray.

please email me at xxxxxxx@yahoo.com
or call chris at xxx-xxx-xxxx
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

2005 ML350
Hello,

Please help.
I have a 2005 Mercedes ML350 with 6-disc changer in trunk. When I load the
changer with disc and choose cd on my unit, the message I have on screen is No cd Changer.
nothing happens. I can hear the cd charger checking the disc in the trunk but nothing happens.I can't open the changer to. Has anyone experience this problems.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 AM

ML320
Sunroof wind deflectors break. Where can I get the replacement kit? Anyone can advise?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM

brake wear indicator light on dash flashing when brake pedal is depressed
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 230
The MB trans is no longer considered lifetime filled...

My MB dealer serviced my 2002 ML500's trans with 2 new filters and fluid for about $500.
The following users liked this post:
unpolire (02-05-2022)
Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 PM

mb ml
Originally Posted by tudor nonu
Hello,

Please help.
I have a 2005 Mercedes ML350 with 6-disc changer in trunk. When I load the
changer with disc and choose cd on my unit, the message I have on screen is No cd Changer.
nothing happens. I can hear the cd charger checking the disc in the trunk but nothing happens.I can't open the changer to. Has anyone experience this problems.
Thanks.
check the fiber optic wires are connected to the radio at the back of the radio itself.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 PM

ML320
2000 ML320 Starting Problem

For the past 6 years, I have been having problem getting my 2000 ML320 to start on the 1st try.

Every mechanic that I have taken it to, have said that they know what's the problem. Each time have cost me money and the problem persist.

I have had a New Crank Sensor, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Tune-Up etc. (Problem is still there)

Now it is not starting.

My Uncle and His son are both Mechanics in New Orleans. While checking the computer with the OBD Scanner, It shows the Oxygen Sensor Code P0141 and P0161.

1)Could this have something to do with the vehicle not starting on the 1st try?

2) Do you think that the problem with it not starting is the Crank Position Sensor?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 PM

ML320
Air Distribution Switch - 2000 ML320

Hi,

The Air Distribution Switch (air/heat vent control dial) on my 2000 ML320 will not allow me to place the dial in the defrost mode. I can turn the dial to the left, to the right but the switch stops when I try to point it to the Top/Defrost setting. I do not want to force it, and I am no longer able to completely turn the dial in a full circle. Any ideas on what may be happening and a fix?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 PM

1999 ML 430
defrost switch

I am having the same problem on our 430. the defrost knob will not turn in a full circle either. Hope some has an answer on this.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 PM

1999 ML 430
shocks

We have a 99 ml 430 and it is due for shocks. What has been everyone's experiance to take the rough out but still control the rocking on the highway
Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 AM

1999 ML 430
Originally Posted by vooroojack
I own a 1999 ML 430, I just talked to a Mercedes dealership service manager and their electrical genius guy, and I was told that I would not be able to install an original mercedes navigation system (used - e-bay from another ml owner). They said the dashboard's shape was changed slightly for 2000+. I was wondering if it was true, since it seems like many people are doing that these days. Also, if it is available, what should I look for/watch out for in doing so? How would I be able to install it myself?

Thanks
I tried looking for a "factory nav" to replace the Bose radio in my 99 - trust me, it isn't worth it. It's a very small display with very limited function and terrible graphics. Additionally, there are a ton of "oh, by the way" items you'll need - roof antenna, software updates, map disc updates. Your money will be better spent going with an aftermarket install. I went with the Pioneer DSC Series (newer technology) and have never had a problem.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 PM

e350
one other thing, any ml from 98-2005 might have a problem with everything on the vehicle. just sayin. good list though.

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Back by popular demand, here it is:

I think the brake parts are identical. All ML320's and 350's use the same stuff as far as I know. It looks the same anyways. Some 430's may even have had the smaller brakes.
Forget the remote starter, it aint gonna happen with the whole transponder in the key thing.
You could add step tubes, but not mudflaps. You could also add running boards. Brush guard should fit too. Personally I would leave it alone, it looks pretty good as it is, not to mention the wieght factor. Sport package bumpers are heavy compared to regular ones.
Anything that went wrong with 98-99 ML's is still an issue with the '01 models. They were not substantially improved until '02 with the redesign.
The '01 will probably be a bit more reliable though.
Fuel pumps - make sure you got the updated version, check filter and lines to make sure they are updated.
Harmonic balancer- check it often. This has yet to be "fixed" on any year model.
D-pillar covers crack
Aux fan fuse blows- needs upgraded wiring harness and larger fuse.
Window switches - yer left front will go down and not come back up!
Defroster vent likes to pop out of dash, replacement is easy.
Door locks like to fail, jump up and down. replace latch to fix.
Oil consumption- check oil level regularly, use only mobil 1 0w40, change more often than required.
Trans connector leaks- new o-rings to fix- updated parts available.
Oil level sensor- make sure it works and doesn't flash low oil for no reason.
Transfer case shift motor - make sure low range light doesn't flash on start up.
Leaking canister shut off valves were still prevalent during '01.
Leaking washer fluid tank- still an issue to this day, even with updated parts.
Tail gate lock breaks, allows tailgate to open when locked. Replace outer handle assembly.
Sunroof wind deflectors break. Replacement kit available.
Catalytic converters break in half, or rattle. Replacement required. Must remove torsion bars and reset ride hieght after replacement.
Bubbling center console armrest- replace.
Seat side trim cracks, falls off - updated parts are stronger.
Tele aid- banner year for problems. Disconnect.
MCS unit- there are a number of problems. Updated part may fix.
Sunroof accordians fall off - glue back on.
Wind noise- test drive before you buy. Usually no fixing that.
Vehicle stalls when hot - crank position sensor failure. Replace.
Vehicle will not start - fuel pump.
Vehicle will start then immediately stall- replace keys or das module.
Self adaptations at limit, part load or idle, right or left bank or both - replace mass air sensor, intake duct seals, air filter.
Hesitation on acceleration- updated ME control unit will greatly reduce this issue, along with random misfires, runs like crap, etc.....
EGR fault codes- go ahead and replace the valve assembly and the EGR tube. Saves everyone a lot of trouble in the long run.
Lifter noise- replace all compensating elements, inspect cams and followers, replace as needed.
Vehicle won't start, already replaced fuel pump and or no voltage to pump. Check electrical connector on chassis near left rear wheel, and look for burnt connector under fuse box underhood.
SRS light illuminated- updated side bag connectors available, also seat occupied recognition sensor in right front seat has been a problem.
Seat heater does not heat evenly- replace heating pads, maybe seat cover?
Rear seats folded flat, now they are locked to the floor, can't get them up. - DONT EVER PUT ANYTHING UNDER YOUR SEATS. ANY OF THEM. Check to make sure there is nothing there before folding flat. Too many times the cables are broken or popped loose by a missing shoe or some doodad left under the rear seat.
Lower power steering hose blows off- recall in effect. Benz will cover this part for 10 years regardless of mileage. Install new hose and clamp.
Door insulation falls off, leaves gluey residue on windows and sunroof- remove, discard. Installing more just means it will fail again later. There are updated parts available, with mixed results. Its impossible to get all the glue off the door, and what happens when your new glue sticks to the old glue, which then fails?
Coolant flush every 3 years.
Brake flush every 2 years.
Air filter due at 60K
Fuel filter due at 60K
Spark plugs due at 100K
Dust filter and wiper blades part of B service.
Trans is filled for life, requires no service and there is no dipstick in the tube.
No recommended diff service interval either.
No recommended tranfer case service either.
Brake life varys widely by driver.
Tires last longer on ML's than anything else. Expect your 17" to wear faster.

Hope this is enough to keep you on top of things for a while. I probably forgot something along the way...... Enjoy your new vehicle!

***Keep in mind I just cut and pasted, No way am I retyping all this! It may not make perfect sense since it has been taken out of original context***
Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 PM

ML320
Good posting

Good posting. I just replaced the catalytic converters, both right and left side, replaced all hoses and belts, new OM Sensor and new plugs and wires for $2500. Considering that I have 183K on a 98 ML320 it is not a bad investment.

This can be a temperamental truck. In some ways I love the rugged capabilities and in other I really dislike some of the cheap plastic interior and poor accessory performance. I am not sure that I would buy another, definitely consider the Acura MDX when I get to 250K miles.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM

2001 ML-320
Where can I find the updated side airbag connectors?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:17 AM

2001 Ml430 | 2003 C32amg
Good Post!

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Back by popular demand, here it is:

I think the brake parts are identical. All ML320's and 350's use the same stuff as far as I know. It looks the same anyways. Some 430's may even have had the smaller brakes.
Forget the remote starter, it aint gonna happen with the whole transponder in the key thing.
You could add step tubes, but not mudflaps. You could also add running boards. Brush guard should fit too. Personally I would leave it alone, it looks pretty good as it is, not to mention the wieght factor. Sport package bumpers are heavy compared to regular ones.
Anything that went wrong with 98-99 ML's is still an issue with the '01 models. They were not substantially improved until '02 with the redesign.
The '01 will probably be a bit more reliable though.
Fuel pumps - make sure you got the updated version, check filter and lines to make sure they are updated.
Harmonic balancer- check it often. This has yet to be "fixed" on any year model.
D-pillar covers crack
Aux fan fuse blows- needs upgraded wiring harness and larger fuse.
Window switches - yer left front will go down and not come back up!
Defroster vent likes to pop out of dash, replacement is easy.
Door locks like to fail, jump up and down. replace latch to fix.
Oil consumption- check oil level regularly, use only mobil 1 0w40, change more often than required.
Trans connector leaks- new o-rings to fix- updated parts available.
Oil level sensor- make sure it works and doesn't flash low oil for no reason.
Transfer case shift motor - make sure low range light doesn't flash on start up.
Leaking canister shut off valves were still prevalent during '01.
Leaking washer fluid tank- still an issue to this day, even with updated parts.
Tail gate lock breaks, allows tailgate to open when locked. Replace outer handle assembly.
Sunroof wind deflectors break. Replacement kit available.
Catalytic converters break in half, or rattle. Replacement required. Must remove torsion bars and reset ride hieght after replacement.
Bubbling center console armrest- replace.
Seat side trim cracks, falls off - updated parts are stronger.
Tele aid- banner year for problems. Disconnect.
MCS unit- there are a number of problems. Updated part may fix.
Sunroof accordians fall off - glue back on.
Wind noise- test drive before you buy. Usually no fixing that.
Vehicle stalls when hot - crank position sensor failure. Replace.
Vehicle will not start - fuel pump.
Vehicle will start then immediately stall- replace keys or das module.
Self adaptations at limit, part load or idle, right or left bank or both - replace mass air sensor, intake duct seals, air filter.
Hesitation on acceleration- updated ME control unit will greatly reduce this issue, along with random misfires, runs like crap, etc.....
EGR fault codes- go ahead and replace the valve assembly and the EGR tube. Saves everyone a lot of trouble in the long run.
Lifter noise- replace all compensating elements, inspect cams and followers, replace as needed.
Vehicle won't start, already replaced fuel pump and or no voltage to pump. Check electrical connector on chassis near left rear wheel, and look for burnt connector under fuse box underhood.
SRS light illuminated- updated side bag connectors available, also seat occupied recognition sensor in right front seat has been a problem.
Seat heater does not heat evenly- replace heating pads, maybe seat cover?
Rear seats folded flat, now they are locked to the floor, can't get them up. - DONT EVER PUT ANYTHING UNDER YOUR SEATS. ANY OF THEM. Check to make sure there is nothing there before folding flat. Too many times the cables are broken or popped loose by a missing shoe or some doodad left under the rear seat.
Lower power steering hose blows off- recall in effect. Benz will cover this part for 10 years regardless of mileage. Install new hose and clamp.
Door insulation falls off, leaves gluey residue on windows and sunroof- remove, discard. Installing more just means it will fail again later. There are updated parts available, with mixed results. Its impossible to get all the glue off the door, and what happens when your new glue sticks to the old glue, which then fails?
Coolant flush every 3 years.
Brake flush every 2 years.
Air filter due at 60K
Fuel filter due at 60K
Spark plugs due at 100K
Dust filter and wiper blades part of B service.
Trans is filled for life, requires no service and there is no dipstick in the tube.
No recommended diff service interval either.
No recommended tranfer case service either.
Brake life varys widely by driver.
Tires last longer on ML's than anything else. Expect your 17" to wear faster.

Hope this is enough to keep you on top of things for a while. I probably forgot something along the way...... Enjoy your new vehicle!

***Keep in mind I just cut and pasted, No way am I retyping all this! It may not make perfect sense since it has been taken out of original context***

I need to mark this post! Thanks for the 411
Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM

2003 ML 500
'03 ML 500 temp gauge

When sitting in traffic for a time, temp gauge, norally at 80 C, goes up about one click and stays there. When the car starts moving, gauge goes back to 80 C. Is that normal operation for this vehicle?

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
I have a 99 ML430 and started seeing mine do this. I have seen postings from others saying their trucks do what you describe but I hadn't seen it on mine before. Did some checking and found the 30A fuse for the two electric fans in the front of the car was blown (another thing to check is the associated relay as well). Replaced the fuse, checked to make sure the fans came on and am watching the temp gauge now when driving....so far has not crept up again (stays just a tick above 80 degC).

May or may not help.

Good luck!

XBM

Originally Posted by ML 500 mz
When sitting in traffic for a time, temp gauge, norally at 80 C, goes up about one click and stays there. When the car starts moving, gauge goes back to 80 C. Is that normal operation for this vehicle?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 AM

2000/ML320 2005/Subaru Baja
recall

Originally Posted by mihir_d
The latest recall of the harmonic balancer is both on the V6s and V8s...so both had the issue...
how long does a recall last?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM

2000 ml5.5 amg
2000 ML55 AMG

To not go out of your mind you have to think of these things as an expensive hobby, not transportation.

My Avalanche is the only vehicle I can trust.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Mine cracked, I took off the inner fender and welded it back together ,used a wire feed welder, still good to go, after 3 months, new cost upward of $400.00 if you want to take it off you can have it welded, it will make for a better weld if you don't know how to weld bring it to a pro welder. Geno
Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Horn stoped working

Originally Posted by Ronin007
Great info and great post!!

Unlike mrkbbd, I have not any issues with my ML other then the horn that just stopped working, but mine is a baby at 16k miles however.

So what was the problem? mine stopped too.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM

2001 ML320, 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4
Originally Posted by Geno777
So what was the problem? mine stopped too.
Corrosion which MB replaced the horn at no charge. Have not had an issue since then.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ronin007
Corrosion which MB replaced the horn at no charge. Have not had an issue since then.
I bought 2 new hors from Advanced auto for $40.00 installed them and they sound better that the original ones, they sounded like the song Wile Driving in my Cadillac, beep beep beep beep, his horn went beep beep beep. lol lol
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 PM

2001 ML320, 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4
Originally Posted by Geno777
I bought 2 new hors from Advanced auto for $40.00 installed them and they sound better that the original ones, they sounded like the song Wile Driving in my Cadillac, beep beep beep beep, his horn went beep beep beep. lol lol
I would have done something different too, but MB covered it for free so I figured I would go that route.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'99ML430, '02ML500, '88 XJS, '00 CLK 430, 2 steam turbine generators, & 2 GE 7FA.01 gas turbines
After takeing out my injectors out to send off for cleaning, here's a few things that pissed ME off;
The EGR leaked a little, but not a big deal. The crap that it blows into the intake plentum / thing is some kind of self distructive BS. It needs a friggin filter on it like one of those fancy vacuums you can dump out! I cleaned out about two tablespoons of salt size black carbon shcrap all stuck all over the inside of everything!
The Actuator was loose at the bottom two bolts. Not loose bolts, just not threaded deep enuf. Could have been suckin' sand for all I know. The little plastic directional venturie on the top, inside of the actuator fell right out. The scavenger orfie in top of the valve covers were plugged. Air intake pipe gasket to the actuator IS CRAPPP! Got a new one that looks of better design but same material. This will be installed with a clamp and safety wired to the manifold. Sheesh did they think i wasn't going to drive it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: The list of stuff to watch out for on a 163