M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML 320 seat warmers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 04:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 ML 320/95 Ford F150 4x4/Harley Davidson 03 FLHRCI in vivid black
Red face ML 320 seat warmers

Good Day All,
I was gifted my 2000 ML 320 last Aug. what a happy ole soul I was,, right up tll I started pricing repairs/parts and fluids that need updated. I've been plugin along at this since last Oct. won't bore ya'll with tthe details, enough to say nothing earth shattering. I did run across 1 item and have not done or started to track down possible issues yet. Thought I'd ask if any of you have run in to this problem and what are the possible/top causes for me to start looking at..Last month while taking my Sweetheart/Partner to the Heart suregon while it was fairly cold out., I warmed up the SUV and had turned on the seat warmers but they were dead as the proverbial door nail when we got in to head out.I have front seat warmers and they do not work on any position. I'm not sure if the problem may be fuses/relays,switches,heating elements, wiring etc but if any of ya'll have had this issue and found the cause I would appreciate any guidance offered.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ML320 W163 2000
Welcome to the reasons why old Mercs are cheap! However, to be fair to my ML320, the maintenance for the first seven years was less costly than my previous Vauxhall Astra estate had been on average per year! I did go bust a few years after getting it though, and the running costs of the car were a contributory factor. It's only doing 20mpg and and higher insurance costs that are the main difference for me.

Do the seat adjust controls work, on the sides of the seats? If not, then it could be a simple problem of the plugs underneath the seats have become disconnected. Otherwise, it could be that new heating elements are needed, or just a broken wire or connection, or a fuse has gone.
The following users liked this post:
Dfixit1 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 02:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 ML 320/95 Ford F150 4x4/Harley Davidson 03 FLHRCI in vivid black
Red face

Originally Posted by Bezalel
Welcome to the reasons why old Mercs are cheap! However, to be fair to my ML320, the maintenance for the first seven years was less costly than my previous Vauxhall Astra estate had been on average per year! I did go bust a few years after getting it though, and the running costs of the car were a contributory factor. It's only doing 20mpg and and higher insurance costs that are the main difference for me.

Do the seat adjust controls work, on the sides of the seats? If not, then it could be a simple problem of the plugs underneath the seats have become disconnected. Otherwise, it could be that new heating elements are needed, or just a broken wire or connection, or a fuse has gone.
I will look under the seat and try to find the connections and the wires that lead up to the heating elements. Seems MB went to great lenghts to hide all that. Also seems the previous owner had short leggs and no running boards, hence I find that I need to pull the support from around the outside of the seat for a dose of epoxy. While I have that off will be a good time to start looking for heater wires. The switch lights do come on so it may just be a snagged wire or disconnection, seems the fuses would be working or I would have no indicator lights. Soon as I get to that, I'll post what I find.