M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ABS pump part number

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
ABS pump part number

Hello everyone,

the 3 abs lights and brake light on my 2001 ml320o are on since long time ago. the dealer dignosed it and suggested to change the ABS pump (traction control hydraulic unit, that`s what the dealer said), and he gave a part number 004-431-04-12-80, which cost over 2000 dollars. I dont have that much money for this old car. I am now trying to repaird or find a proper replacement. However, the part number of the abs on my car is A1634310712. that makes confused. are these two different parts? or the one on my car is too old and they do not continue to produce it? Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2024, 11:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
There are rebuild shops that sell the ABS modules for around $500ish...The brushes in the DC motor of the ABS pump wear out after prolonged use....only the brushes need to be replaced in most cases...
Old 04-16-2024, 12:18 PM

ML320
Hi mihir, thanks a lot for your reply. it is a good idea to buy a rebuld one from those shops, but may I ask which part number is correct? the dealer gave me a part number which is different from what I have on my car. it makes me confused.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:44 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Rebuild shop would know…

Originally Posted by insom
Hi mihir, thanks a lot for your reply. it is a good idea to buy a rebuld one from those shops, but may I ask which part number is correct? the dealer gave me a part number which is different from what I have on my car. it makes me confused.
When I had to do this, I had to only give my VIN no. to the shop. They were able to send me the correct part based off that.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:52 PM

ML320
thanks. which shop did you use?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:00 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
thanks. which shop did you use?
ModuleMaster - I think, it’s currently priced at $250ish…

https://modulemaster.com/products/at...=6857887547456

i have had a rebuilt ABS module for 4 years now. No issues…
Old 04-16-2024, 05:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 ML 320
Hello everyone,

the 3 abs lights and brake light on my 2001 ml320o are on since long time ago. the dealer dignosed it and suggested to change the ABS pump (traction control hydraulic unit, that`s what the dealer said), and he gave a part number 004-431-04-12-80, which cost over 2000 dollars. I dont have that much money for this old car. I am now trying to repaird or find a proper replacement. However, the part number of the abs on my car is A1634310712. that makes confused. are these two different parts? or the one on my car is too old and they do not continue to produce it? Thanks in advance

fyi, they no longer sell new ones and you have to rebuild it. mine just recently went out but I’ve decided not to repair it bc of the hassle of having to remove it and mail it out. Based on my research ModuleMasters has the best reputation and you have to mail your original pump to them. My truck only has 102k miles and only put 3k miles annually and part of the reason I’ve decided not to repair it. I also don’t want to hassle of having to pay labor cost to remove it again if the rebuild fails. Brakes still work normally without the ABS working
Old 04-17-2024, 02:08 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by jay4usc
fyi, they no longer sell new ones and you have to rebuild it. mine just recently went out but I’ve decided not to repair it bc of the hassle of having to remove it and mail it out. Based on my research ModuleMasters has the best reputation and you have to mail your original pump to them. My truck only has 102k miles and only put 3k miles annually and part of the reason I’ve decided not to repair it. I also don’t want to hassle of having to pay labor cost to remove it again if the rebuild fails. Brakes still work normally without the ABS working
Hi Jay4usc, many thanks for your reply. I am also not sure if I should bother to repair it. actually the 3 abs lights are not a big problem for me, but the brake light and the beeping is annoying. the mechanic somehow deactivated the beeping, but meanwhile I also need to disrupt the parking brake system, since it will not remind me if I forget to lift the parking brake. I know it sound s a bit stupid. Anyway, I am now thinking if I should solve the problem by spending a few hundred dollars. well, I am now already stuck by finding the correct par number.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:09 PM

ML320
Originally Posted by mihir_d
ModuleMaster - I think, it’s currently priced at $250ish…

https://modulemaster.com/products/at...=6857887547456

i have had a rebuilt ABS module for 4 years now. No issues…
Hi Mihir_d, thanks for your information. I am not asking them for the detail,
Old 04-17-2024, 05:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 ML 320
Hi Jay4usc, many thanks for your reply. I am also not sure if I should bother to repair it. actually the 3 abs lights are not a big problem for me, but the brake light and the beeping is annoying. the mechanic somehow deactivated the beeping, but meanwhile I also need to disrupt the parking brake system, since it will not remind me if I forget to lift the parking brake. I know it sound s a bit stupid. Anyway, I am now thinking if I should solve the problem by spending a few hundred dollars. well, I am now already stuck by finding the correct par number.
the correct part number for your ABS pump is the one you found on your truck. That’s the same part number I used. I was also confused in the beginning bc my shop gave the exact number they gave you. I then had the mechanic check the actual part number on my pump which was A1634310712. Use the number that’s in your car.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:03 AM

Diy it?

Hi Mihir_d, thanks for your information. I am not asking them for the detail,
This issue with the W163 is annoying, after owning my ML for 24yrs I know it’s design flaws and this is one, the reason I say this is that there are several causes for your issue! The ABS pump throws a specific error code, yours must have for the dealer to suggest replacement and after this many years the brushes are worn, but there could have been other less specific error codes also stored.
If you are interested in learning how to repair the pump yourself, there are a couple of very helpful videos on YT, I got new brushes for $5 and soldered them in as per the video, all the information you need to source etc., is there. Hope this solves it for you! I’m still dealing with the ABS issue after trying all the suggested fixes out there, my remaining error is undefined and seems to be some electrical gremlin:C1025 and C1300, always and C1314 randomly. This ABS and an error with the electrical wiring to power the passenger side airbag are driving me crazy 🙁
Old 04-22-2024, 11:45 AM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Fusebox

Originally Posted by ML Dude
This issue with the W163 is annoying, after owning my ML for 24yrs I know it’s design flaws and this is one, the reason I say this is that there are several causes for your issue! The ABS pump throws a specific error code, yours must have for the dealer to suggest replacement and after this many years the brushes are worn, but there could have been other less specific error codes also stored.
If you are interested in learning how to repair the pump yourself, there are a couple of very helpful videos on YT, I got new brushes for $5 and soldered them in as per the video, all the information you need to source etc., is there. Hope this solves it for you! I’m still dealing with the ABS issue after trying all the suggested fixes out there, my remaining error is undefined and seems to be some electrical gremlin:C1025 and C1300, always and C1314 randomly. This ABS and an error with the electrical wiring to power the passenger side airbag are driving me crazy 🙁
if you have electrical gremlins, I should also share that 1998-2002 MLs had fusebox issues. The copper plate on the fusebox builds resistance & causes voltage to drop on random circuits.

I dealt with sporadic turn signal, wiper motor & few other minor electrical gremlins for handful of years before a shop specializing in car electrical ran a thorough test & pin pointed the problem.

Once entire fuse plate was replaced from a donor 2005 ML, all electrical gremlins went away.

This problem does not occur on post 2002 facelifted MLs.